LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Radios.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    You need the software and cable for it. I have never done a Vertex, so I'd be clueless as usual! The handhelds have the alpha tags too, so anyone should be able to find where they need to be.
    Cool...she will use it as is...not sure if it even works yet until we get around some other radios for a test.

Last I read here, Barry needed his radio programmed..... Ed too I guess.

Anyone else need installation or programming help? Was trying to put something together, but of it's not needed I'll just get those guys fixed up.
    Just caught up on this thread. Resurrection time! I'm looking to order the yaesu ft2900r. If I get it by early next week, do you think I can have this programmed in time for the Virginia city ride on the 9th? I know, rush rush.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyavs View Post
    Just caught up on this thread. Resurrection time! I'm looking to order the yaesu ft2900r. If I get it by early next week, do you think I can have this programmed in time for the Virginia city ride on the 9th? I know, rush rush.

I don't have a cable for the FT2900 unless it's the same as the FT2800. The chirp software might cover the 2900, but have not looked into it either.

Are you going to hook it into a Rugged intercom? If not, you might consider the TYT9800 on Amazon. It's only a few $$$ more and gets you way more flexibility. Since it's an import, it doesn't have to be modified either. You are probably hung up on the 75w output, but honestly it's hardly any difference between 50w and 75w.....just like stereo stuff, it takes 10X more power to double the signal or 3db. Usually easier, safer, and cheaper to double it with the right antenna.

Rugged might even have a cable for the TYT, I just have not looked yet. They do make one for the Yaesu FT7900 though....another excellent dual band choice. Chirp supports it too.

Either way, I have a freq chart and you could face program a couple of freqs without the computer.

Edit: It appears Chirp will program the FT2900 and the 2800 cable appears to be the same. I would advise you have your own so you can make changes later.
    Last edited by CrazyCooter; 12-30-2015 at 08:48 PM.

I don't have a cable for the FT2900 unless it's the same as the FT2800. The chirp software might cover the 2900, but have not looked into it either.

Are you going to hook it into a Rugged intercom? If not, you might consider the TYT9800 on Amazon. It's only a few $$$ more and gets you way more flexibility. Since it's an import, it doesn't have to be modified either. You are probably hung up on the 75w output, but honestly it's hardly any difference between 50w and 75w.....just like stereo stuff, it takes 10X more power to double the signal or 3db. Usually easier, safer, and cheaper to double it with the right antenna.

Rugged might even have a cable for the TYT, I just have not looked yet. They do make one for the Yaesu FT7900 though....another excellent dual band choice. Chirp supports it too.

Either way, I have a freq chart and you could face program a couple of freqs without the computer.

Edit: It appears Chirp will program the FT2900 and the 2800 cable appears to be the same. I would advise you have your own so you can make changes later.
    I went ahead and ordered one of the little rugged handhelds. That will give me more time to talk to you and other guys about radio options. Plus, I hope to have a new rig sometime soon. Does the handheld need programming?

Newbie Driver

Radios.

What frequencies are you using for commas? I am interested in the VHF freq as I have a Kenwood radio in the Rzr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coreyavs View Post
    I went ahead and ordered one of the little rugged handhelds. That will give me more time to talk to you and other guys about radio options. Plus, I hope to have a new rig sometime soon. Does the handheld need programming?

It comes ready to run Cory. It doesn't come with the JeepSpeed/MURS channel though. If you order a programming cord for a few $$$$, you could modify it's programming pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar_man View Post
    What frequencies are you using for commas? I am interested in the VHF freq as I have a Kenwood radio in the Rzr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rugged used to have the freq list available on their site, but it is now password protected. My guess is there were a few modifying ham radios, loading them with Rugged's list, and offering them for sale.

That said.....
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7zt22uurp...ncies.pdf?dl=0

Rugged used to have the freq list available on their site, but it is now password protected. My guess is there were a few modifying ham radios, loading them with Rugged's list, and offering them for sale.

That said.....
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/l7zt22uurp...ncies.pdf?dl=0
    Access to Rugged Radio 91 preprogrammed alpha to numeric conversion list is:

Username: rugged
    Password: radio

I loaded it into my tablet for reference to program my radio to any of their channels anytime....still learning as this is the first time I've used both, but I LOVE IT so far!

Nice!

One thing I ran in to programming Ed's Baofeng UV5R was that there are many different firmwares within the same model radio. The one that is listed on the radio's startup screen isn't necessarily the one that is loaded into it. It is important to first read your radio and save an image of it's OEM programming and firmware and work from it.

I turned Ed's radio almost into a brick that would transmit and not receive for a few mins....... Google is your friend! I found a site that had recovery info.

Nice!

One thing I ran in to programming Ed's Baofeng UV5R was that there are many different firmwares within the same model radio. The one that is listed on the radio's startup screen isn't necessarily the one that is loaded into it. It is important to first read your radio and save an image of it's OEM programming and firmware and work from it.

I turned Ed's radio almost into a brick that would transmit and not receive for a few mins....... Google is your friend! I found a site that had recovery info.
    I received my radio and tablet gear just a few days before we blew out to Ocotillo Wells...did a super sanitary install of everything, but overlooked one BIG issue that didn't reveal itself until we went riding.

The amateur radio VHF transmit on is 144-148 and all of Ruggeds frequencies are 151-156, so I can hear everything all are saying, but can't transmit. BLR is always talking chit about me and the Rhino on rides knowing I can hear her but can't respond in retaliation!...lol

I didn't realize the transmit frequency didn't include Ruggeds until I actual READ THE BOOK!!...ha-ha.....when we get back home, will do the MARS/CAP on it.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast