LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy

Thread: Samoa Dunes

Samoa Dunes

Has anyone been to Samoa Dunes near Eureka? We saw some pics posted on FB. Looks like another option for dune riding. It's 6 1/2 hours from where I live but not too bad for you Redding guys.

Super Moderator The Rattler (BLR)'s Avatar
    Have not been there personally, but from what I hear the area has shrunk considerably. Not much left to ride on..Dang Non OHVERS...
    Don't Run Out Of Talent

I've just read some online reviews. Pretty much a day use area. Half day's worth of easy riding for novices. There is overnight camping on a asphalt parking lot for 25 RV's on a first come basis. $20 per night. Dry camping. The reviews are not very good. Local Humbolt county druggies use the area. A lot of complaints about ticks.

Looks like a place I'll pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrH View Post
    I've just read some online reviews. Pretty much a day use area. Half day's worth of easy riding for novices. There is overnight camping on a asphalt parking lot for 25 RV's on a first come basis. $20 per night. Dry camping. The reviews are not very good. Local Humbolt county druggies use the area. A lot of complaints about ticks.

Looks like a place I'll pass on.
    this is what i was told about it from a friend that went there a few times .

It's too bad. I was hoping for another place on the coast to ride. I'll have to get up to Oregon dunes one day.

Quote Originally Posted by MrH View Post
    It's too bad. I was hoping for another place on the coast to ride. I'll have to get up to Oregon dunes one day.
    Come on up in Sep we'll be there from 12-19th I will show you around

Yep, small area..... You can do the whole thing in 2 hours in 2wd without paddles. I just go there once in a while cause that's the only place some of my friends go.

You also need to lock your stuff up and deal with bums who sneak in at night and leave before the camp host wakes up to avoid paying fees. I have never seen it, but heard about needles in the bathrooms too. The city won't run the people out!

Thanks for the confirmation that it's not a place for us. I don't need to go somewhere that I need to lock everything up.

Accomplished Driver
    Old post , last time I was there was in 88 yep 1988 lol on quads, you use to be able to go right across the street from the Samoa Cook house and rip the trails . But somewhere around early 90's with all the losers that left trash etc they fenced off the fun yet small area.
    Like others have said the you had to deal with druggies and theft. We went there back in 88 stayed first night in the parking lot , don't think at that time you even had to pay ?
    Too many noises, drunks, kids out doing donuts in the parking lot in cars , second night went and stayed in the KOA and drove back over to the dunes ... I just remember it was in Oct. and it was a heat wave over there 72 degrees usually its high 50's low 60's there pretty much year round.