LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EPL View Post
    Most people what until the see the next person but the problem with that is that just because you see them doesn't mean they see you
    I was guilty of this this weekend kinda jump the gun on pipelayer couple times luckly he showed at the next turn

I was the weak link in the chain , I was following the next machine in front of me on a smaller forest trail and never saw the split, I thought we were on the same trail until we were about 2-4 miles into the new trail when it started to clime the hill we couldn't make it up on the quad, then it was too late, but we went down and found the two behind us, so it all worked out this time , but it definitely sucks getting lost. Like always lead and rear radios would be the best, but???? Money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting for the next rider is the best and most effective way! Can't wait, can't ride with us! That goes for those who get left behind too. Wait at the last known meeting spot for the leaders to get back. We would have been back to that spot within 30-40 mins on this last ride, but trust we WILL be back and wait.

I'm going to put something together to help those who would like to have radios but don't have a $8-1200 budget. Watch the electronics threads!

Thinking maybe put some links/packages together that could be ordered on the net and I'll host a weekend at the shop to assist in the installation, programming, and antenna tuning?

Nobody gets left behind on a ride I'm on....just separated temporarily. The radios should shorten the time it takes to meet back up.
    Last edited by CrazyCooter; 08-10-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Beginning Driver
    It's called Rider Etiquette...........no paper plates needed.

Rule #1 - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PERSON BEHIND YOU.

You are responsible for knowing that the person behind you made the correct turn at that intersection or fork in the road....or made that difficult terrain. Letting them see you is the important aspect of this rule. Letting them see you lets them know where to go. You being able to lay eyes on them, assures you that they are still moving...and going in the right direction.

Rule #2 - IF SOMETHING HAPPENS? RETURN TO THE LAST KNOWN PLACE YOU MADE CONTACT WITH THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU....and....WAIT (in the case of a vehicular breakdown...obviously you will to stay where you are). Trust the process. Trust that you might have to wait a bit longer than you'd like but if everyone does what they were supposed to (Rule #1), your ride leader, or another member of the ride group will be able to locate you and help you based on where they last laid eyes on you.

When these two rules are observed simultaneously throughout a ride by everyone, the ride runs a lot like a relay race. You “hand off” intersections, forks in the road, and/ or difficult terrain to the person behind you. This ensures that the rider behind you made it, doesn't get left behind. At some point a ride leader will wait for the person behind him, if a reasonable amount of time passes and your ride leader neither sees nor hears the person behind him, he is going to go to the last place he made a “hand off” to find the rider behind him. If that rider does what he is supposed to do, the ride leader will find him in that spot and they will back track methodically in that same manner, rider to rider, until they find who and/or what went wrong. If everyone observes these two rules, no rider will be left behind.

We spent the latter half of our day canvassing the areas looking for four riders. We went back to the lunch spot.....and in the meantime we had to fix a flat, and EPL's rig. I got to sit with that greasy feeling in my stomach that only went away when we got back to the parking lot and found four vehicles gone. Not a great way to end a ride. We have really got to have each others backs out there. This kind of incident takes away the fun of what we came out there to experience.
    "Be stubborn about your goals and be flexible about your methods" ~ Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    Waiting for the next rider is the best and most effective way! Can't wait, can't ride with us! That goes for those who get left behind too. Wait at the last known meeting spot for the leaders to get back. We would have been back to that spot within 30-40 mins on this last ride, but trust we WILL be back and wait.

I'm going to put something together to help those who would like to have radios but don't have a $8-1200 budget. Watch the electronics threads!

Thinking maybe put some links/packages together that could be ordered on the net and I'll host a weekend at the shop to assist in the installation, programming, and antenna tuning?

Nobody gets left behind on a ride I'm on....just separated temporarily. The radios should shorten the time it takes to meet back up.
    Well Tony when my wife got done making my sandwich I had her order the radio you recommended .

Beginning Driver
    Well Tony when my wife got done making my sandwich I had her order the radio you recommended .
    Wait....you mean you ACTUALLY have wife that will do that???
    "Be stubborn about your goals and be flexible about your methods" ~ Author Unknown

Radios are great but I think everyone is always worried about being left behind !! But if everyone waits for the person behind them NO one will ever get let behind . The radios would be great for if someone breaks down (I never do ) HAHA a least they can radio ahead so everyone know what is going on . If the radio you told me to get works good it would be a cheap way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie View Post
    YES and we will soon train you to do it also ! HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Tracie View Post
    Were going to have a weekend at the shop for the guys to learn how to work there radios and wife's how to make sandwich's. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Barry got one too.

Yes they will work to a point..... If you wait too long to make the call, the distance will be a problem. SO will a mountain being in your way.

Obviously handheld to handheld distance will be limited. Handheld to mobile with good antenna is good. Mobile to mobile is the best. Having nothing doesn't work at all! I figure for a $30-100 investment people can get something that will work pretty good.
    Last edited by CrazyCooter; 08-10-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast