LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    I added one channel....65 I think? That one is MURS Channel 1or Jeepspeed in the Rugged mobile program. That one is an un unlicensed public use freq. Of all of them, that would be my preference.

Do you live on a hill? I might be able to reach you on my base station.

i didn't even notice there was another channel below the large group of them. There was a bunch of empty spots between 36-65. I am going to have to connect the radio up to my computer again to program that channel into it. Is there any more channels past that? I went to 150 and didn't see any more. I was able to get the GMRS channels to communicate with my little midland walkie talkies though.
    2014 RZR XP4 1000

Quote Originally Posted by neil11975 View Post
    i didn't even notice there was another channel below the large group of them. There was a bunch of empty spots between 36-65. I am going to have to connect the radio up to my computer again to program that channel into it. Is there any more channels past that? I went to 150 and didn't see any more. I was able to get the GMRS channels to communicate with my little midland walkie talkies though.
    Neil, I went all the way to 400 and 65 is the last for me.

#65 was the last one. I kept it at #65 because that's what the mobiles use and wanted to keep it the same. This way everyone can be on #65 and match. I also added all the FRS freq to this file.

If these radios had more memories, I could give you the entire mobile radio file in addition to the GMRS/FRS stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    #65 was the last one. I kept it at #65 because that's what the mobiles use and wanted to keep it the same. This way everyone can be on #65 and match. I also added all the FRS freq to this file.

If these radios had more memories, I could give you the entire mobile radio file in addition to the GMRS/FRS stuff.
    Are all the channels on your file legal to use without a license?

Getting separated on a ride.

I just bought this to study for the ham radio test.

ARRL Ham Radio License ManualThe by Ward Silver (2011, Mixed media product)

$21.99

Quote Originally Posted by MrH View Post
    Are all the channels on your file legal to use without a license?
    Yes and no...... Yes, you are allowed to use the 1-14 FRS and the MURS 1/Jeepspeed channels without a license, however to be legal you would have to be transmitting from an FCC approved radio for the freq you are using which the Baofeng is not.....

This keeps you from transmitting too strong of a signal and interfering with other users.....like in a big city. Imagine if an FRS user was using an external antenna with 100 watts power was transmitting in Sacramento.....That freq would be tied up for a 50-100 mile radius. There are only 14 channels FRS available for the whole public in the area to use! How many users in the greater Sac area at any given time? 100's? 1,000's? This is why the FCC has limited it to 500mw and no external antenna.

So keep in mind you would be transmitting illegally and I would never endorse or recommend that! The FCC does allow you to use any means possible in the event of life/injury or property damage. You will find this in your ARRL study guide.

The main thing is to know enough about this so that you don't cause interference in the first place and generate the complaint where FCC shows up at an event/s to cite people operating illegally. I'm surprised we have not heard of this issue at places like Glamis. Lots of $10K citations could be issued on a holiday weekend!

Glad to see read you are interested in getting you ham ticket. It has been a fun hobby over the years and It's my way of staying in touch with the outside world when I'm riding alone. Cell phones don't work most places I like to travel......

If you get geeked out on this, you might end up finding more to program in there. You would be surprised what kind of radio activity is in your neighborhood..... Some of my neighbors are still using old 900mhz cordless phones and baby monitors.....

For online study, you can register at QRZ.com and do the online practice tests. https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ For those who don't want to study and would like to get their license in one day, check out your local area radio clubs for a "Ham Cram". This is where you watch a power point presentation in the morning and then test after lunch before you forget everything! 95%+ pass rate!

Keep in mind the Ham license won't get you any more privileges to talk to UTV people. You will just end up in the same boat I'm in whre you have to use the crap freq where the unlicensed "Radio trash" has to hang out!
    Last edited by CrazyCooter; 08-15-2015 at 04:58 PM.

We should be good out in the woods with a little 5 watt radio?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by edharvery1957.ed View Post
    We should be good out in the woods with a little 5 watt radio?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yes, IF you have a good properly installed external antenna.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011