LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery question

I have a 2011 rzr 800 how much can a stock battery handle ? only add-ons I have is a winch and 6" light bar. do I need 2 batteries or should 1 handle it.

If your battery is in good shape, one battery will be good. If you use your winch, have your motor running. You should be fine

it's more of a how much are you pulling in amps... even a large amp battery can only last so long with the low amps the stator can charge at. i would get a larger amp hr battery many are out their prices can get high you could run 2 batterys for more amps if you run a isolator you will only have the amps of the 1.

with only a 6 in light bar thats a very small load now the wintch can draw alot for you id just replace with a oddesy or one of the otheir higher amps
    Dead man walking

Run it like that for a while and see if you have any troubles with the battery getting low. I think it will be fine.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2010 Polaris RZR 800 S (Now Deceased)
    2016 Yamaha Grizzly 700

Its all a function of the current draw of the accessories you use.

The limiting factor is not the battery, but the charging system, that being the stator.

The stator on an 800 is sized to handle just the stock RZR. There is some to spare, but not a lot.

Using a winch, you'll see the system voltage pull down pretty good. So long as you don't use the winch for more than a few minutes, the system will recover quickly.

LED light bars use very little current compared to the old style halogen lights, so that's not much of an issue.

Stereo system use a lot of current, so if you're using it all the time...you're liable to pull the system down far enough to kill the engine as there are components that have low voltage shut offs.

Get a good voltmeter and install it where it can be seen, the dash, and use that as your guide. If your voltage gets in the low 12 volts and stays there, shut something off until you're back in the 13 volt range.

A second battery with a smart isolator will allow the "starting battery" to stay fully charged and only charge the "accessory battery" when the system voltage is above 13.2 volts.

Thus if you are using the accessories that put a heavy draw on the accessory battery, its liable to "die" during a long riding day. As the RZR electrical system may be working hard to keep the "starting battery" at 13.2+ volts and thus doesn't provide current to charge the "accessory" battery often enough to keep it charged.

Use a battery charger to charge it overnight...and you're ready to go.

I think you will be fine with the one battery !!

Small price to pay for peace of mind IMO. I love mine
    Attached Images
    Tatum Black Widow
    402 stroker twin turbo
    Albins sequential
    1200hp @ 18psi

I don't know anyone who uses their wench that much. Why add the extra weight if you don't need to. Maybe upgrade your battery like Beer Mod if your concerned about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just a thought

A lot of us run with a roof

Could put say a 300 watt solar panel for roof

Could help some
    'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.'

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Millerrg View Post
    Its all a function of the current draw of the accessories you use.

The limiting factor is not the battery, but the charging system, that being the stator.

The stator on an 800 is sized to handle just the stock RZR. There is some to spare, but not a lot.

Using a winch, you'll see the system voltage pull down pretty good. So long as you don't use the winch for more than a few minutes, the system will recover quickly.

LED light bars use very little current compared to the old style halogen lights, so that's not much of an issue.

Stereo system use a lot of current, so if you're using it all the time...you're liable to pull the system down far enough to kill the engine as there are components that have low voltage shut offs.

Get a good voltmeter and install it where it can be seen, the dash, and use that as your guide. If your voltage gets in the low 12 volts and stays there, shut something off until you're back in the 13 volt range.

A second battery with a smart isolator will allow the "starting battery" to stay fully charged and only charge the "accessory battery" when the system voltage is above 13.2 volts.

Thus if you are using the accessories that put a heavy draw on the accessory battery, its liable to "die" during a long riding day. As the RZR electrical system may be working hard to keep the "starting battery" at 13.2+ volts and thus doesn't provide current to charge the "accessory" battery often enough to keep it charged.

Use a battery charger to charge it overnight...and you're ready to go.
    on thing most people forget is the power used for just the stock stuff.....fuel pump, radiator fan,ecm,all the sensors and coil ,lights, i havent figured it out on the newer stuff bit on a bone stock 800 it used just over 65% of the stators capasity.... so not much is left
    Last edited by johnnycat8; 07-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Dead man walking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast