LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What GPS

What GPS

What brand of GPS's are people using ?

I'm running the Lowrance Baja 5m..I've only used it on one ride so I don't have much feed back. Should have more to report after the SM run with Ed..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thompson View Post
    I'm running the Lowrance Baja 5m..I've only used it on one ride so I don't have much feed back. Should have more to report after the SM run with Ed..

I want to check it out this weekend.

I decided to try a different route. Ive already paid and downloaded an app and am becoming familiar with it at home. I'll be running a 7 or 8" tablet up high under my roof to keep out of the moisture and sunlight to view. Still need the mounts and another cheapo tablet instead of my good one, but many peeps like the versitility and perks for doing so.....music, all different maps, download multi- vehicle service manuals for different SxSs, etc.

Newbie Driver
    Hi LBR....using a tablet is the latest trend here in Central Oregon, and the Nav device of choice.....any of them with "location/GPS" will work......we are downloading an app like "Backcountry Navigator Pro (about $11) for Android systems, and "Scenic Maps" for ipads.....the most popular tablet being used is a Samsung Galaxy4 8-inch (about $169-189)....after downloading your nav app, no WiFi signal is needed on the trail (no data used) and the larger display screens and detailed maps are pretty good. Ram mounts are used and battery life is long, and the option of powering it up with a USB cord is popular also.....by using a TOPO app like BCNP and also downloading Forest Service MVUM's, and leaving both programs active on your tablet, you can navigate with a TOPO map and see which of the FS's service roads and trails are "open"......

Interesting. .I like the options available and the cost..

Quote Originally Posted by fast phil View Post
    Hi LBR....using a tablet is the latest trend here in Central Oregon, and the Nav device of choice.....any of them with "location/GPS" will work......we are downloading an app like "Backcountry Navigator Pro (about $11) for Android systems, and "Scenic Maps" for ipads.....the most popular tablet being used is a Samsung Galaxy4 8-inch (about $169-189)....after downloading your nav app, no WiFi signal is needed on the trail (no data used) and the larger display screens and detailed maps are pretty good. Ram mounts are used and battery life is long, and the option of powering it up with a USB cord is popular also.....by using a TOPO app like BCNP and also downloading Forest Service MVUM's, and leaving both programs active on your tablet, you can navigate with a TOPO map and see which of the FS's service roads and trails are "open"......
    Thanx Phil!...I'm taking that exact route and already did get Backcrountry and am working with it now. I was looking at GAIA, but found out the one Android phone it wont sync with is what I have now....lol....so Backcrountry was my choice. After getting the tablet and mounts, ill be ready for our next trip to Ocotillo Wells and Quartzsite....yippee!

Quote Originally Posted by LBR View Post
    Thanx Phil!...I'm taking that exact route and already did get Backcrountry and am working with it now. I was looking at GAIA, but found out the one Android phone it wont sync with is what I have now....lol....so Backcrountry was my choice. After getting the tablet and mounts, ill be ready for our next trip to Ocotillo Wells and Quartzsite....yippee!
    Lance, I'm looking forward to checking out your new system at Cinco de Mayo. If there is a chance that a technology idiot like me can learn to use it, I think that would be my choice as well.

I run a Lowrance HDS-5M Baja in my race car and my truck has a 7inch LG Tablet that runs LocusPro. I like the Locus Pro quite a bit, it works with my Google Earth KMZ files, so I can exchange route files and waypoints pretty easily.

The Lowrance HDS Series is pretty proven to be the best out there for racing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
    Lance, I'm looking forward to checking out your new system at Cinco de Mayo. If there is a chance that a technology idiot like me can learn to use it, I think that would be my choice as well.
    Won't have it by then Barry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast