LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy

Thread: GPS Apps

GPS Apps

Just got a new i Phone, and want the best app to use it for geocaching. Any suggestions?

Also can't find the thread where Fast Phil recommended the app everyone is using for general navigation with a tablet (or in my case an i Phone).

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
    Just got a new i Phone, and want the best app to use it for geocaching. Any suggestions?

Also can't find the thread where Fast Phil recommended the app everyone is using for general navigation with a tablet (or in my case an i Phone).
    The only app for Geocaching is Geocache.com .

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post

Hi LBR....using a tablet is the latest trend here in Central Oregon, and the Nav device of choice.....any of them with "location/GPS" will work......we are downloading an app like "Backcountry Navigator Pro (about $11) for Android systems, and "Scenic Maps" for ipads.....the most popular tablet being used is a Samsung Galaxy4 8-inch (about $169-189)....after downloading your nav app, no WiFi signal is needed on the trail (no data used) and the larger display screens and detailed maps are pretty good. Ram mounts are used and battery life is long, and the option of powering it up with a USB cord is popular also.....by using a TOPO app like BCNP and also downloading Forest Service MVUM's, and leaving both programs active on your tablet, you can navigate with a TOPO map and see which of the FS's service roads and trails are "open"......

Might call rugged routes out of So Cal. Very help full

I have the Backcountry Navigator Pro loaded on my tablet

It has a real long learning curve

Another words it will take some time to fiqure it out

I have been downloading maps to see what ones I like

I still think and at this time believe a garmin navi W/Topo-Maps is the best and easiest to operate

If I had only one choice of either a Tablet or a Garmin Navi

I would take the Garmin Hands down
    'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.'

Mark Twain