LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bumbling Driver

Best GPS unit to buy?

I am looking at buying a new GPS unit. What do you guys recommend and or use?

Here are a few units I was looking at. Price is not a huge deal I just want to buy the best. But also don't want to spend more then I have to if I am not going to benefit.

lowrance hds 7
    Lowrance Elite 5ti or 7ti
    Magellan eXplorist TRX7

Thank you for the feedback!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used quite a few different GPS units over the years. Currently using the Lowrance Baja in my RZR. Everyone has an opinion that's for sure. Many are going to tablets and software but touch screens with gloves don't work well. Nor are they very weather resistant. It is nice to have actual Google Earth imagery when you are trying to find alternative routes out in the field. But to do that you have to download, "cache" all the data with an internet connection prior to your trip. So although cool, it requires a higher lever of being a geek for sure. 5" screen MINIMUM, so your idea of the HDS-7 is good. One thing that Lowrance does better than any other solution I've used to date is the brightness of the screen. Very little to no glare and readable even in bright sun.
    2012 XP4
    Hybrid Z1 Swap
    Big Chute Turbo, Vipec, etc.
    Reno, NV.

Bumbling Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by BDacus View Post
    I have used quite a few different GPS units over the years. Currently using the Lowrance Baja in my RZR. Everyone has an opinion that's for sure. Many are going to tablets and software but touch screens with gloves don't work well. Nor are they very weather resistant. It is nice to have actual Google Earth imagery when you are trying to find alternative routes out in the field. But to do that you have to download, "cache" all the data with an internet connection prior to your trip. So although cool, it requires a higher lever of being a geek for sure. 5" screen MINIMUM, so your idea of the HDS-7 is good. One thing that Lowrance does better than any other solution I've used to date is the brightness of the screen. Very little to no glare and readable even in bright sun.
    Very good info.

Yeah I thought about using tablets also but like the stuff you said is true and not sure if I want to deal with that.
    The Lowrance seems to be the best way to go. I just didn't know if there was a downside to their units other than they're the most expensive.

Thanks for the help.

Lowarance is most expensive, but I have found them to be quite rugged and I like the big rubber buttons. Its easy to navigate with gloves and bouncing along while driving. If you can afford the 7in, you can't go wrong IMO. Again, IMO. I think there is a thread with this same question on the RZR-Forum that is HUNDREDS of posts long.
    2012 XP4
    Hybrid Z1 Swap
    Big Chute Turbo, Vipec, etc.
    Reno, NV.

Bumbling Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by BDacus View Post
    Lowarance is most expensive, but I have found them to be quite rugged and I like the big rubber buttons. Its easy to navigate with gloves and bouncing along while driving. If you can afford the 7in, you can't go wrong IMO. Again, IMO. I think there is a thread with this same question on the RZR-Forum that is HUNDREDS of posts long.
    Thank You and will also check out that Thread.

I use the Lowrance 7TI very fast and easy to use Bought from PCI Race Radios has great support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Plasterman

Bumbling Driver
    I have had GPS units for years, as a member of a rescue team and I have tried a number of them. That said, if you want a hand held get a Garman. For one to mount in your sxs lowrance Baja Trophy 5. I have one of each mounted in my sxs. Having lived in the rain forest of central america for the past eight years I always had two just in case one went down. Getting lost there is not good, drug runners, big cats and things that go bump in the night. Have a good one. Drago..

Bumbling Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    I have had GPS units for years, as a member of a rescue team and I have tried a number of them. That said, if you want a hand held get a Garman. For one to mount in your sxs lowrance Baja Trophy 5. I have one of each mounted in my sxs. Having lived in the rain forest of central america for the past eight years I always had two just in case one went down. Getting lost there is not good, drug runners, big cats and things that go bump in the night. Have a good one. Drago..
    Thanks for the info.

Wholly-Terror Driver Ed & Charlene's Avatar
    Are there any mounts for a can am commander?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by N6EDW View Post
    Are there any mounts for a can am commander?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The best thing to do is look on E-bay there is all most any kind of mount you can think of on there !! I 99% sure that LBR uses one with a suction cup on it !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast