LRT_GraphicsSave_The_Riders_DunesUTV_Crazy

900 Trail issues

I am new to this forum and thought I would share some issues I have with my Polaris RZR 50 inch 900 Trail. As with previous RZR's the new ones still seem to have not worked out the air intake systems. Unlike older 800's the intake for primary and engine air seem to be seperate with engine air coming from the right on the side behind the passenger and primary coming from the opposite side. Last september while riding my then new machine I noticed the EBS slowly losing braking over a few days so I took it into my local Polaris shop where they found a lot of dust and debris inside the primary rendering the EBS clutches unworkable. They then decided to look at the engine side air filter and found it thuroughly saturated to almost allowing dust injestion to happen. The filter had only been on two days and the riding we had done was not in very dusty conditions yet both sides were pretty bad. Keep in mind that I put well over 6000 miles on my old 800 in worse conditions and never came close to this with it as I keep pretty close track of my air filters. The shop was surprised too because they had just given the machine it's 50 hour service two days before. They told Polaris that in their view pre filters were deffinately needed for both sides. They cut a pre filter in two and placed it inside on both sides and felt that would cover it, I added a Outerwear pre filter to the stock filter also. So I just wanted all that own these new 900 models to be especially watchful if they ride in even moderately dusty areas to keep on top of this issue. I would have thought with all the dusted engines in the 800's Polaris would have learned. I also thought they would have learned to put a parking brake on but not so. I also should say that my Maverick shown in my avitar has excellent air filtration.
    Last edited by Gerry R; 04-20-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: afterthought

Good Info

Always amazes me that Polaris uses us riders of there machines as guinea pigs

Any-way Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear about all your problems.

Hi Gerry... I believe we have met a few times and been a few years since seeing you....maybe we can meet up again soon and ride.

Hi Lance
    Yes it's been quite awhile indeed, much has happened to me. Give me a call 503 668 7763.
    Gerry

I'm really sorry to here about your problems with your 900s Gerry R . I have the same rig but haven't had any problems yet .

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry R View Post
    I am new to this forum and thought I would share some issues I have with my Polaris RZR 50 inch 900 Trail. As with previous RZR's the new ones still seem to have not worked out the air intake systems. Unlike older 800's the intake for primary and engine air seem to be seperate with engine air coming from the right on the side behind the passenger and primary coming from the opposite side. Last september while riding my then new machine I noticed the EBS slowly losing braking over a few days so I took it into my local Polaris shop where they found a lot of dust and debris inside the primary rendering the EBS clutches unworkable. They then decided to look at the engine side air filter and found it thuroughly saturated to almost allowing dust injestion to happen. The filter had only been on two days and the riding we had done was not in very dusty conditions yet both sides were pretty bad. Keep in mind that I put well over 6000 miles on my old 800 in worse conditions and never came close to this with it as I keep pretty close track of my air filters. The shop was surprised too because they had just given the machine it's 50 hour service two days before. They told Polaris that in their view pre filters were deffinately needed for both sides. They cut a pre filter in two and placed it inside on both sides and felt that would cover it, I added a Outerwear pre filter to the stock filter also. So I just wanted all that own these new 900 models to be especially watchful if they ride in even moderately dusty areas to keep on top of this issue. I would have thought with all the dusted engines in the 800's Polaris would have learned. I also thought they would have learned to put a parking brake on but not so. I also should say that my Maverick shown in my avitar has excellent air filtration.
    I changed the filter element from stock to an R2C cleanable filter on my 900 Trail. When riding in dusty conditions I plan to blow out the filter after each day's ride (the element is designed for this). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the drive cover to inspect for dust/debris, either. Eventually, I'm going to add some kind of filter on the drive system.
    2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS Trail Camo

Follow up...

Todd at Hunterworks advises that adding a filter may reduce airflow enough to increase belt heat which is as big an enemy to the belt as dirt, so removing the cover and blowing the clutch out might be a better solution after an especially dirty ride.
    2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS Trail Camo