PDA

View Full Version : Chain Tensioner

Turtle Tim
10-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Just ordered a Weller Racing chain tensioner for my XP1K. Been rattling on start up for a while now, and I am long overdue to do this.
Weller has good feedback from what I read. And they have them on sale right now for $129.
How many of you have changed out your chain tensioner?

Flash
10-05-2015, 08:34 PM
I have the Boondocker and it was very easy to install .

Beer Mod
10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Most of the guys around here run the boondocker but I imagine there all similar :)

Defiantly a worthwhile mod!!

Fuzzy
10-06-2015, 05:21 PM
I have a Boondocker and it was very easy to install .

Turtle Tim
10-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Saw a video on the Weller, and it is a stock tensioner and they just put a stronger spring in it. Doesnt matter to me as long as it works.

EPL
10-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Saw a video on the Weller, and it is a stock tensioner and they just put a stronger spring in it. Doesnt matter to me as long as it works.

I agree with you Tim !! I already have purchase a Boondocker but haven't installed it yet .

Flying Dog
10-07-2015, 07:36 AM
I have a Boondocker and it was very easy to install .

So these are to resolve the rattle noise when starting after sitting a while ?

Turtle Tim
10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
yes, and it could be possible for the timing chain to jump and do serious damage to the engine.
Also, NEVER turn your primary clutch clockwise. There have been several reports of people turning it clockwise and the timing chain jumps.
(I turned mine clockwise several times and lucked out)

EPL
10-07-2015, 07:43 PM
yes, and it could be possible for the timing chain to jump and do serious damage to the engine.
Also, NEVER turn your primary clutch clockwise. There have been several reports of people turning it clockwise and the timing chain jumps.
(I turned mine clockwise several times and lucked out)

From what I understand after you install the new tensioner you don't have to worry about what way you turn the motor !! Is this true or i'm I miss understanding some thing ??

Turtle Tim
10-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Good question Ed. I would assume that if the tensioner was doing its job, it shouldn't matter at that point which way you turned the motor.

So Cal Sam
10-08-2015, 06:32 AM
From what I understand after you install the new tensioner you don't have to worry about what way you turn the motor !! Is this true or i'm I miss understanding some thing ??

This is how I understand it to .

Pipelayer
10-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Does the stock tensioner operate from oil pressure. It would make sense to me that if you turned it backwards that it would release the tension. I'm curious to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPL
10-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Does the stock tensioner operate from oil pressure. It would make sense to me that if you turned it backwards that it would release the tension. I'm curious to know.

Yes it operates from oil pressure . In cars the tensioner has a stop so once it goes past keeps it from going back it. The one on the Polaris doesn't .

Pipelayer
10-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes it operates from oil pressure . In cars the tensioner has a stop so once it goes past keeps it from going back it. The one on the Polaris doesn't .

Makes sense, thanks Ed.

Turtle Tim
10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Got it replaced today. Pretty easy.
Only issue I had was getting the valve cover off, it was tight trying to get it out.
No rattle anymore!!!!

EPL
10-10-2015, 06:39 PM
That is awesome

FBT
12-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I am going to grab one of these for my rig shortly. If my back will cooperate I will do the install myself, if not I will add it to the list for Ben when I take the car up in Feb for him to do the bearings in the trans.
As much as I want to spend my limited $ on go-fast stuff I want to deal with all of the known weak links first. I got my seats and harnesses first, now to the weak links.
I am hoping to buy a cage kit from TFBB before Easter. Have family who is a certified pro welder and know we can do that in a half dozen nights and a weekend.

5150 Will
03-13-2016, 06:22 PM
I've had the Weller tensioner in my car for quite awhile now and its great. Also since it appears stock there's no issue with warranty(if you have one) and it doesn't leak like some of the manually adjustable tensioners I've seen.

Controlled Force
03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
I would be careful with one of those so-called manual hydraulic tensioners like the ones boondocker sells.

Over Easter at Sand Mountain a guy came up to me with a boondocker turbo car and the tension they put on it failed and jumped timing.

That's why I like the manual ones, you set it....lock it down and you're done

RSR Performance

Superdave
04-12-2016, 10:17 PM
So what's the verdict? Manual or auto adjusting???