PDA

View Full Version : Radios, intercoms & frequencies

The Rattler (BLR)
09-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Ok.. I'm just learning how to run my radio...Uggg My attention span is short. .lol..
I purchased a Rugged Radio setup..VX-2200..radio, intercom and also Bluetooth need to listen to my tunes...LBR just finished installing it for our next outing at SM for Halloween..so I have a little over a month so I will see how I do...

LBR
09-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Downloaded the pre-programmed frequency list for this radio (91 installed of 128 capability) and see about 98% of them are not useful....wow.

CrazyCooter
09-22-2015, 07:41 AM
Pretty cool huh?

AlfaBaz
09-22-2015, 08:14 AM
My whole set up is still in the box. Is there still a possibility for an "install" day at your shop, Tony?

LBR
09-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Pretty cool huh?
Bahahahaha! Yes, totally fantastic!!

Tony, wouldn't everyone that has a radio nowadays probably be nominal VHF capable, the 5 watt handhelds up to 50 watts mobiles? (excluding marine radio)

Would it be feasible to "assign ourselves" an unofficial UTVCrazy 3 channel list for all Crazy rides? Everyone could have these 3 channels preprogramed into their radios, then on the morning of any Crazy ride, CQ our 3 frequencies for outside activity and decide on our primary, secondary and thirdary channels prior to ride time. If we meet others on the trail who want to tag along, they could program up to us....if we meet others on trail using our primary or we get interference, everyone could seamlessly change to our secondary channel with a shout out "SECONDARY" or "THIRDARY" without having to group up for the channel change.....if we need more than 3 channels, then we need to get the hell outta Glamis!!... lol.....thoughts??

CrazyCooter
09-22-2015, 04:20 PM
My whole set up is still in the box. Is there still a possibility for an "install" day at your shop, Tony?

I wasn't aware you had anything to install Barry. Didn't you get a handheld and a magmount antenna?

I'm in Wyoming right now, so we can get together when I get back.

CrazyCooter
09-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Bahahahaha! Yes, totally fantastic!!

Tony, wouldn't everyone that has a radio nowadays probably be nominal VHF capable, the 5 watt handhelds up to 50 watts mobiles? (excluding marine radio)

Would it be feasible to "assign ourselves" an unofficial UTVCrazy 3 channel list for all Crazy rides? Everyone could have these 3 channels preprogramed into their radios, then on the morning of any Crazy ride, CQ our 3 frequencies for outside activity and decide on our primary, secondary and thirdary channels prior to ride time. If we meet others on the trail who want to tag along, they could program up to us....if we meet others on trail using our primary or we get interference, everyone could seamlessly change to our secondary channel with a shout out "SECONDARY" or "THIRDARY" without having to group up for the channel change.....if we need more than 3 channels, then we need to get the hell outta Glamis!!... lol.....thoughts??

Channel 65 is the only Rugged freq I'm willing to transmit on although the 4 other MURS channels could be added.

Pipelayer
09-22-2015, 06:56 PM
I have the vx2200 also and rugged radios programmed it for me. I have channels like JEEPSD LOCOMOCP, OFFRDCOM, a bunch of other channels and weather channels too. I need to find out what they all are. I don't have anyone local to try them out. I do know that it bleeds over on my blue tooth stereo really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyCooter
09-22-2015, 07:25 PM
You can find the freq list on the net if you search. Rugged has it password protected probably because people were buying other radios and copying their list for sale to others.

LBR
09-22-2015, 10:34 PM
I have the vx2200 also and rugged radios programmed it for me. I have channels like JEEPSD LOCOMOCP, OFFRDCOM, a bunch of other channels and weather channels too. I need to find out what they all are. I don't have anyone local to try them out. I do know that it bleeds over on my blue tooth stereo really bad.

PM sent

motosx
09-22-2015, 11:30 PM
most of our group runs the "bajapits "channel

CrazyCooter
09-23-2015, 06:46 AM
most of our group runs the "bajapits "channel

Ya, that one locally belongs to Calfire. Lots of activity up here in the Northstate the past few months too.

AlfaBaz
09-23-2015, 05:52 PM
I wasn't aware you had anything to install Barry. Didn't you get a handheld and a magmount antenna?

I'm in Wyoming right now, so we can get together when I get back.

I got the handheld with the 18" antenna (not magmount). I'll just need mine "programmed" (?) to be consistent with the rest of the group. Have a great time fishing, Tony!

Shadow
10-05-2015, 03:15 PM
High folks... as per freq.. for your radios there are 5 vhf frequencies that are available M.U.R.S. multible use radio Service... you do not require a licence to use.... murs 5 is also used as a Sar simplex freq....

CrazyCooter
10-06-2015, 08:38 PM
High folks... as per freq.. for your radios there are 5 vhf frequencies that are available M.U.R.S. multible use radio Service... you do not require a licence to use.... murs 5 is also used as a Sar simplex freq....

This is correct....however to be legal, you must use a type approved radio, not more than 2 watts power, and narrow 11.25kHz channel bandwidth/ 2.5kHz deviation. Jeepspeed #65 is a MURS channel, but I bet it's transmitting WFO.

Shadow
10-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Absolutely... majority of older rugged radios deviation is wider... Couple of inexpensive hand helds.. Baofengs and wouxun are narrowe banded and low power works well...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Rattler (BLR)
10-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Finally got a chance to use/learn to use my rugged radio this week at Sand Mountain..Lance has been riding with me alot this trip so it's nice to be able to talk about surroundings without just pointing and hope he understands what my hand signals me...I also got the Bluetooth and it works great..I can listen to my music and not annoy others in the group...:)

CrazyCooter
10-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Welcome to the club! Adds a whole new dimension to a ride huh?

I think the Rugged intercom is the best modification I have installed in the car!

Pipelayer
10-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Finally got a chance to use/learn to use my rugged radio this week at Sand Mountain..Lance has been riding with me alot this trip so it's nice to be able to talk about surroundings without just pointing and hope he understands what my hand signals me...I also got the Bluetooth and it works great..I can listen to my music and not annoy others in the group...:)

It was nice to be able to keep tabs on where everyone in the group was.

The Rattler (BLR)
11-02-2015, 08:33 AM
My radio worked GREAT for a day...lol...then I couldn't receive or no one could hear me... Russell said where is you antenna mounted...I said right here....WTH...I lost my antenna somewhere on the trails.... .

Pipelayer
11-02-2015, 09:45 AM
My radio worked GREAT for a day...lol...then I couldn't receive or no one could hear me... Russell said where is you antenna mounted...I said right here....WTH...I lost my antenna somewhere on the trails.... .

Barb, I noticed that mine was a couple of threads from falling off when I took it off to load into the trailer.

The Rattler (BLR)
11-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Barb, I noticed that mine was a couple of threads from falling off when I took it off to load into the trailer.

I think it was crazywatson that said he checks his alot...I think when I get my new one..just a dab of lock tight is going on it

Pipelayer
11-02-2015, 10:35 AM
I think it was crazywatson that said he checks his alot...I think when I get my new one..just a dab of lock tight is going on it

X2

johnnycat8
11-02-2015, 11:46 AM
carefull with that dont want to block the ground connection with too much lock tight

crazywatson
11-02-2015, 02:42 PM
No that wasn't me I never check mine. If never had it come loose. The O ring always has kept it tight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The Rattler (BLR)
11-02-2015, 02:51 PM
No that wasn't me I never check mine. If never had it come loose. The O ring always has kept it tight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Crap my mind is failing me again...lol

washrepair
11-02-2015, 08:58 PM
2 cars with radios and never lost antenna ( can't say that about my spare tire )

EPL
11-02-2015, 09:02 PM
2 cars with radios and never lost antenna ( can't say that about my spare tire )

Russell you sure were having a lot of problems with your spare this time around !! 2 days and 2 spares fall off !!

Shadow
11-14-2015, 06:54 AM
This is correct....however to be legal, you must use a type approved radio, not more than 2 watts power, and narrow 11.25kHz channel bandwidth/ 2.5kHz deviation. Jeepspeed #65 is a MURS channel, but I bet it's transmitting WFO.
To be honest Freq's used by ultras Score Snore are not Licensed... most are not using type approved radios... but yes murs Freq's are restricted to 2 watts and FCC Part 90 narrow band approved....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Rattler (BLR)
11-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I got my replacement antenna..we will try this again.. :)

Maverick4me
11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Half way through the installs for both the wife and I on our Mavericks. Rugged (Can-am) Mounting plate took a lot more time than anticipated without any direction!! When done, the wife and I will both have the VX2200 and RRP660 units. Will be ready for UTV Takeover on Thanksgiving. Look forward to learning how to use them. Hope you can help us Barb.... :-) We will definitely know to watch our antennas LOL!!

LBR
11-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Half way through the installs for both the wife and I on our Mavericks. Rugged (Can-am) Mounting plate took a lot more time than anticipated without any direction!! When done, the wife and I will both have the VX2200 and RRP660 units. Will be ready for UTV Takeover on Thanksgiving. Look forward to learning how to use them. Hope you can help us Barb.... :-) We will definitely know to watch our antennas LOL!!
Sure missed seeing you two at SM Don....we'll catch up over the Takeover week, for sure!

Maverick4me
11-15-2015, 12:33 AM
Look forward to it. Hope to go to SM next year. Sounded like an awesome time!