PDA

View Full Version : California trail maps

The Rattler (BLR)
09-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Some updated trail maps
http://www.californiatrailmap.com/

stagerider
09-01-2016, 09:47 AM
There are a few of us from the Northern part of the state that are looking for maps in our area of California.

norcalrob
09-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Try the app "avenza"
Downloadable Pdf trail maps..tracks you as you ride
Topo or mvum maps

Also backcountry navigator

from my phone

CHbeer
09-01-2016, 12:35 PM
There are a few of us from the Northern part of the state that are looking for maps in our area of California.

Try looking up Rider Planet and there you can find the trails you your area or whatever you look to check out

LBR
09-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Try looking up Rider Planet and there you can find the trails you your area or whatever you look to check out
Rider planet is awesome for a web browser...if you want a free mobile app, download "moto2go". It is the app that redirects you to the Rider Planet but easily viewed by mobile rather than a browser.

00YZ250
09-23-2016, 09:10 AM
I am the creator of California Trail Map. It is more accurate than any other source available. It doesn't rely on government data or crowd sourcing. I created the majority of the data myself and it's a complete map that reflects all of the regulations that have been implemented.

PDF maps are reliable but they only cover some areas and they don't go into a lot of detail.

Apps like Backcountry Navigator rely on USGS maps that were made between 1945 and 1990. The USGS map hasn't been updated in several decades. The apps are new. The data is old.

Other apps use Open Street Map Topo which relies on crowd sourcing. Any source that relies on random user submissions won't be entirely accurate when it comes to regulations and they aren't complete. They have huge gaps because they aren't the result of a concentrated effort.

California Trail Map currently includes southern California, Death Valley, Tulare county and Clark county Nevada. I'm working my way north. The coverage is extremely thorough so it takes a while to make. It's not just a map of trails. It's a complete map with a background and all points of interest.

The Rattler (BLR)
09-23-2016, 11:39 AM
I am the creator of California Trail Map. It is more accurate than any other source available. It doesn't rely on government data or crowd sourcing. I created the majority of the data myself and it's a complete map that reflects all of the regulations that have been implemented.

PDF maps are reliable but they only cover some areas and they don't go into a lot of detail.

Apps like Backcountry Navigator rely on USGS maps that were made between 1945 and 1990. The USGS map hasn't been updated in several decades. The apps are new. The data is old.

Other apps use Open Street Map Topo which relies on crowd sourcing. Any source that relies on random user submissions won't be entirely accurate when it comes to regulations and they aren't complete. They have huge gaps because they aren't the result of a concentrated effort.

California Trail Map currently includes southern California, Death Valley, Tulare county and Clark county Nevada. I'm working my way north. The coverage is extremely thorough so it takes a while to make. It's not just a map of trails. It's a complete map with a background and all points of interest.
Thank you very much for the update
I will get it updated on my tablet

I'm looking now for trail mapping for NV.