PDA

View Full Version : How big is to big?

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 12:15 AM
With all these SXS coming out that have more power and stronger components why not go with bigger rubber? I've been running 33's for quite some time now and lately I've wondered how much bigger I could go. So what do you guys think is the ultimate tire size on the west coast. Trails like the Rubicon, Fordyce, and Moab I feel bigger is better :)

How big is to big for all around trail riding?

I'm looking at these bad boys. They are 5lbs lighter each than what I run now. Opinions?

http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/bfgoodrich-baja-ta-kr2-class-10/

Pipelayer
08-24-2015, 05:45 AM
I like the bigger tires too but with the size gives the wheel more leverage to tweak the suspension components. My only question is how big of tire you can go before you have to start upgrading your whole suspension and how much the frame can take after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 07:12 AM
That's a good point. I doubt the stock suspension can take much more than a 33" truck tire. I know the axles should be upgraded.

neil11975
08-24-2015, 08:41 AM
There is a guy on the other forum that is running 35" bfg's with a dalton clutch and rhino axles. He says he is going up to 37's next time. I think that is when you will start seeing internal parts breaking. If you upgrade the axles and cv joints, that is the next weak link. That could get expensive.

gridman
08-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Your going to need to run 930"s I bet with that big

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 10:33 AM
There is a guy on the other forum that is running 35" bfg's with a dalton clutch and rhino axles. He says he is going up to 37's next time. I think that is when you will start seeing internal parts breaking. If you upgrade the axles and cv joints, that is the next weak link. That could get expensive.

I think I've seen it if it's the 900 4 seater.

drtfun
08-24-2015, 11:21 AM
isn't this what happened to the 4x4 guys keep getting bigger and bigger and pretty soon the trail is rutted so deep that only the big boys can go through
don't get me wrong do what you want but I would think 31-33 would be plenty big for a SxS if a person wants a jeep buy a jeep

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 11:28 AM
isn't this what happened to the 4x4 guys keep getting bigger and bigger and pretty soon the trail is rutted so deep that only the big boys can go through
don't get me wrong do what you want but I would think 31-33 would be plenty big for a SxS if a person wants a jeep buy a jeep

Good point! But I would think its the exact opposite. The guys with big tires walk right through the trail and the guys with the little tires struggle creating holes and ruts.

The Rattler (BLR)
08-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Good point! But I would think its the exact opposite. The guys with big tires walk right through the trail and the guys with the little tires struggle creating holes and ruts.
I know back in the 80's we had a short box Chevy with 44s' and our jeep with just a little over stock height..our driveway got so badly rutted with the Chevy that it got high centered eventually and we had to ride the high point with jeep...so my thought is the bigger the tire bigger the hole will eventually get and the Environmentalists have more reason to close an area..

drtfun
08-24-2015, 11:59 AM
True

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Yep that's true too! It's a double sided coin :)

We "off-roaders" are bound to piss off someone, some how, some way!! haha

Tread lightly my friends!!

Pipelayer
08-24-2015, 07:41 PM
I know back in the 80's we had a short box Chevy with 44s' and our jeep with just a little over stock height..our driveway got so badly rutted with the Chevy that it got high centered eventually and we had to ride the high point with jeep...so my thought is the bigger the tire bigger the hole will eventually get and the Environmentalists have more reason to close an area..

This is a good point, it's not what's actually causing the damage as much as it is the optics of it. They almost don't need a reason to close trails but it has to be the 4 wheelers with the big tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Leo
08-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Guess you get-em to big, for the better, will not be better

Loose a-lot of speed and braking power with-em, cook more belts, just really hard on all the running gear and suspension

I believe what you have is hard to beat and you have it well dialed in

Scrat
08-25-2015, 02:30 PM

I never thought about how they tear the trails up with ruts !

drtfun
08-25-2015, 07:40 PM
I never thought about how they tear the trails up with ruts !

Yep back in early 80's hunting in Oregon we would go out the roads would be rutted pretty deep could drag the center diff through with some speed next year everybody got bigger tires ruts got a little deeper

Beer Mod
08-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Sticking with the 33's. Some good points were made, thanks everyone!

drtfun
08-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Sticking with the 33's. Some good points were made, thanks everyone!

your rig is setup perfect looks badazz too