PDA

View Full Version : RV Repairs

MrH
08-14-2015, 06:33 PM
We bought our 2015 Toyhauler in November. It's been a good trailer for the most part. We developed an electrical issue while it was sitting in our driveway getting ready to go to Reno last month. The 15 amp fuse for the furnace circuit kept blowing. Traced it down to a wire pinched between the heater and outside wall. The only way to get to it is too basically tear the kitchen apart.

Needing the a/c to work for our trip, I cut out the heating circuit and just have a/c. It worked great.

I had made an appointment to have it fixed and a few other minor warranty issues taken care of. I delivered it to them today and was told that the electrical issue might not be covered because I cut a wire. I'm not a factory authorized tech. I looked at the guy and said that's bs.

Now the kicker to all of this is they will have the trailer for at least a month!!!! What a joke. You make an appointment and they won't even diagnostic it for 3-4 days. I have a choice of 2 places to take it for warranty work. The second place is worse.

I have a seven year warranty but after this is done I think I'll just take care of things myself. We bought the RV to use it.

Rant over.

Beach Leo
08-14-2015, 07:18 PM
I Hear ya Bill

That really effing Sucks

Blowing the fuse, may have ran under size wire to save a dollar

What gauge of wire to furnace?

Is it 12 Volts D.C or 129 A.C?

CrazyCooter
08-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Pretty irritating huh? This is what I have read for years about how RV shops work. The bigger they are the worse it is.

I have an extended warranty on mine too but it's not like I really trust just anyone to work on it. My rule is if I'm going to pay someone to do a job, they have to be at least as qualified as I.....That's a tall order!

MrH
08-14-2015, 07:43 PM
I Hear ya Bill

That really effing Sucks

Blowing the fuse, may have ran under size wire to save a dollar

What gauge of wire to furnace?

Is it 12 Volts D.C or 129 A.C?

The shorted wire is 12 volts and the wire is 14ga. Like I said I found the short. It is pinched between the furnace and the outside wall. Just a crappy installation at the factory. I already have a game plan to fix it if they don't cover it. I'll remove the oven and get to it that way. Once I have access it's an easy fix.

MrH
08-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Pretty irritating huh? This is what I have read for years about how RV shops work. The bigger they are the worse it is.

I have an extended warranty on mine too but it's not like I really trust just anyone to work on it. My rule is if I'm going to pay someone to do a job, they have to be at least as qualified as I.....That's a tall order!

I know what you mean about trusting others to work on your stuff. Nobody treats your stuff like you do. The last time the trailer was there for work they broke one of the levels I installed on the frame. Of course they didn't tell me, but I noticed it hooking up the trailer to the truck. They had to look at the pics they took of the trailer when I brought it in to verify that it wasn't broken before I brought it in. They took care of it.

AlfaBaz
08-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Tell us the brand trailer and the RV dealership, and then be sure the dealer knows how big the group is reading about them!

MrH
08-14-2015, 08:04 PM
Tell us the brand trailer and the RV dealership, and then be sure the dealer knows how big the group is reading about them!

The trailer is a Forest River Sandstorm. The dealership I bought it from was Best RV in Turlock. They had by far the best selection and pricing on trailers we could find but don't bother with their service. An appointment takes 3 months for warranty work. This was even after I sent 2 other people there to buy. They did buy also. They have no loyalty to their customers.

The only other authorized service center in our area is Camping World in Roseville. That's where the trailer is now. It was still a 6 week wait time for the appointment but much better than 3 months.

Please wait until my trailer is home before you bombard them. Lol

drtfun
08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
The trailer is a Forest River Sandstorm.

was reading you post and thought to my self wonder if its a FR product and a few post later there it is FR

I had a FR SS and it was a 40' turd had several issues never really got them fixed
the dealer ships are all the same slow and in my eyes not very good
I can fix it better(right) example the guy working on my trailer was a layed off house builder but know he is working on RV's:confused:

drtfun
08-14-2015, 08:57 PM
The only other authorized service center in our area is Camping World in Roseville. That's where the trailer is now.

I called and talked to FR and said the dealership I was working with was no good and asked who there best repair shop was and they told me this place
RV Travel World
5650 66th Ave
Sacramento, CA 95823
Phone: 916-392-1872
went there still did not fix problem but at least it was usable

Beach Leo
08-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Hey Bill when you replace that Wire

I was thinking you prolly want to go the next size or two up, 10 or 12 gauge just to be sure

AlfaBaz
08-14-2015, 09:23 PM
The dealership I bought it from was Best RV in Turlock. They had by far the best selection and pricing on trailers we could find but don't bother with their service. An appointment takes 3 months for warranty work.

Ouch......... I was planning on driving down there Monday to look at a Fuzion they have on sale!

MrH
08-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Ouch......... I was planning on driving down there Monday to look at a Fuzion they have on sale!

My step son bought his Fuzion there and got a good deal. But look into where else to go for service.

MrH
08-14-2015, 09:41 PM
was reading you post and thought to my self wonder if its a FR product and a few post later there it is FR

I had a FR SS and it was a 40' turd had several issues never really got them fixed
the dealer ships are all the same slow and in my eyes not very good
I can fix it better(right) example the guy working on my trailer was a layed off house builder but know he is working on RV's:confused:

Other than this shorted wire everything else is small stuff that I wouldn't even bother with except for it being there already. We are both real happy with it so far and hope to have it until we get a motorhome sometime down the road.

CrazyCooter
08-14-2015, 11:36 PM
I have read lots of horor stories about Best RV despite their name.......

milosusa
08-15-2015, 08:22 AM
I have read lots of horor stories about Best RV despite their name.......

Yeah, I bought from them Sandstorm 5th wheel last March. They are PITA to deal with , but their price for this trailer was almost $ 9,000.- less than Camping world. I can deal with idiots for one day for that kind of money. LOL
Plus I need to give them little credit, they are only one who have lot of models in stock compare to other dealer who just show you brochure and offer to order one for you. But honestly I will never go back to them for warranty repair.
So far no problem with the trailer, sure some screw need to be tighten and kitchen drawers adjusted, but what I heard even more expensive trailer had those problems. Only thing I am not really exited about is the tank less water heater for dry camping.
milos

MrH
08-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I bought from them Sandstorm 5th wheel last March. They are PITA to deal with , but their price for this trailer was almost $ 9,000.- less than Camping world. I can deal with idiots for one day for that kind of money. LOL
Plus I need to give them little credit, they are only one who have lot of models in stock compare to other dealer who just show you brochure and offer to order one for you. But honestly I will never go back to them for warranty repair.
So far no problem with the trailer, sure some screw need to be tighten and kitchen drawers adjusted, but what I heard even more expensive trailer had those problems. Only thing I am not really exited about is the tank less water heater for dry camping.
milos

We have the tankless w/h also. What is your issue? Ours goes hot/cold/hot/cold except in Reno at the GSR Campground. I was told that you just have to play with the temp dial to get it set up.

milosusa
08-15-2015, 11:01 AM
We have the tankless w/h also. What is your issue? Ours goes hot/cold/hot/cold except in Reno at the GSR Campground. I was told that you just have to play with the temp dial to get it set up.

Work great for me, if I am on hook up and don't care about water or drain. But when dry camping the lot of water is wasted and the gray tanks are fill much faster than with the tank water heaters, because of the waiting for water to get hot. Plus how those heater works , water need to run constantly otherwise you will get hot/cold cycles shower, if you for example try to save the water by closing the valve on the shower head. So far I had just 5 3 night stay trip and was OK thanks to the two gray tanks in this trailer and one long trip, but I was on the hook up in Winchester Bay. Next trip will be UTV invasion, which will probably be 5-6 night and I will see , if tanks can last so long. If not I will replace this water heater with the old style tank water heater. Never had problem with those in the past.
milos

MrH
09-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Update: my trailer is still at camping world. They just now figured out the electrical issue. Now they need to get the repairs authorized from FR. Another week then they can order parts. At this rate, the Sand Mountain trip is up in the air now.

MrH
09-09-2015, 06:55 AM
Milos, how did your grey tanks hold up at UTV invasion?

Are there campgrounds there with hookups? I only have one 50 gal grey tank. Not sure I could go 5-6 days with dry camping.

EPL
09-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Are there campgrounds there with hookups? I only have one 50 gal grey tank. Not sure I could go 5-6 days with dry camping.

Both Oregon and Idaho UTV invasions have campgrounds with hook up!!

milosusa
09-09-2015, 07:38 AM

Actually was not problem stay 6 night and had showers every day, thanks to the one 50 gal gray tank for bathroom and second 50 gal one for kitchen. Yes you do have two campground there with hook up, Idaho Dunes RV and Sand Hill resort. From Sand Hill you really need to go long way to reach big dunes, but is nicer. But if you want to go next year for UTV Invasion event I am pretty sure you should try to book the full hook up space now...if is not late already. In BLM park where I stayed you do have just electricity hook up, but they have a dumping facility in day use parking lot area , if needed , but you can't make reservation there .
milos

MrH
09-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Is the BLM park on sand where you could get stuck driving your trailer in?

milosusa
09-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Is the BLM park on sand where you could get stuck driving your trailer in?

No, main road between the camp sites is pave with the asphalt and sites have a gravel on the ground.
milos

MrH
09-09-2015, 08:59 AM
No, main road between the camp sites is pave with the asphalt and sites have a gravel on the ground.
milos

Sweet, I hate getting stuck in the sand and dealing with airing down the tires.