PDA

View Full Version : Getting separated on a ride.

Ed Harvey
08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I was looking at the high lakes ride and they lost some cars. Normally each car stops at the turn until the next car comes. Sometimes that doesn't happen. So my thought was to use the cheap white paper plates to mark the way like they do on a logging road with the mile markers. Pre run or the lead car mark the turns. Crazy and[emoji653] [emoji654] [emoji658] [emoji659] [emoji651] [emoji652] it might help with the slower cars. Plates a heavy marker and a staple gun just a thought maybe to help on a long woods ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

drtfun
08-10-2015, 01:00 PM
what about sit still till the next car pulls up next to you and you make eye contact and get a thumbs up from the driver before you proceed
that's what I am going to start doing

LBR
08-10-2015, 02:43 PM
what about sit still till the next car pulls up next to you and you make eye contact and get a thumbs up from the driver before you proceed
Nice Protocall right here. I stop for the car behind me whenever needed (as far as I know), but errored once to leave an intersection too early, even tho I assumed the driver had noticed.....was a lost half hour of our ride to regroup.[emoji85]

The Rattler (BLR)
08-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Nice Protocall right here. I stop for the car behind me whenever needed (as far as I know), but errored once to leave an intersection too early, even tho I assumed the driver had noticed.....was a lost half hour of our ride to regroup.[emoji85]
3 of us had a nice siteseeing tour of Ocotillo Wells. ...lol

LBR
08-10-2015, 02:48 PM
I was looking at the high lakes ride and they lost some cars. Normally each car stops at the turn until the next car comes. Sometimes that doesn't happen. So my thought was to use the cheap white paper plates to mark the way like they do on a logging road with the mile markers. Pre run or the lead car mark the turns. Crazy and[emoji653] [emoji654] [emoji658] [emoji659] [emoji651] [emoji652] it might help with the slower cars. Plates a heavy marker and a staple gun just a thought maybe to help on a long woods ride.

This would work good on a prerun, but I have reservations about it in the heat of a ride.

Ed Harvey
08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
This would work good on a prerun, but I have reservations about it in the heat of a ride.
I think it's worth a try. Maybe add a ribbon or something to get your attention and tell everyone to look for them. When i get to ride again I would like to test it with some friends go out 30 minutes ahead and see if they can find me.

Ed Harvey
08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Its happened to me on a ride I didn't know witch way they went. It works with log trucks keeps them on the right road and not run in to each other.

EPL
08-10-2015, 05:06 PM

The problem with the plate thing is that we don't always pre ride a ride and for the lead car to stop and put one up each time would be a major pain .

EPL
08-10-2015, 05:09 PM

This is the best thing right here !! Most people what until the see the next person but the problem with that is that just because you see them doesn't mean they see you . If you what till there on your but or eye contact is made 99% of the time there won't be a problem.

drtfun
08-10-2015, 05:12 PM
Ed I like the idea if you were to pre run it and set it for a group ride
But doing it the day of the ride I think after a while the person might get tired of unbuckling and buckling there harness

drtfun
08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
Most people what until the see the next person but the problem with that is that just because you see them doesn't mean they see you

I was guilty of this this weekend kinda jump the gun on pipelayer couple times luckly he showed at the next turn

Mike621
08-10-2015, 06:21 PM
I was the weak link in the chain , I was following the next machine in front of me on a smaller forest trail and never saw the split, I thought we were on the same trail until we were about 2-4 miles into the new trail when it started to clime the hill we couldn't make it up on the quad, then it was too late, but we went down and found the two behind us, so it all worked out this time , but it definitely sucks getting lost. Like always lead and rear radios would be the best, but???? Money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyCooter
08-10-2015, 06:41 PM
Waiting for the next rider is the best and most effective way! Can't wait, can't ride with us! That goes for those who get left behind too. Wait at the last known meeting spot for the leaders to get back. We would have been back to that spot within 30-40 mins on this last ride, but trust we WILL be back and wait.

I'm going to put something together to help those who would like to have radios but don't have a $8-1200 budget. Watch the electronics threads!

Thinking maybe put some links/packages together that could be ordered on the net and I'll host a weekend at the shop to assist in the installation, programming, and antenna tuning?

Nobody gets left behind on a ride I'm on....just separated temporarily. The radios should shorten the time it takes to meet back up.

Tracie
08-10-2015, 06:55 PM
It's called Rider Etiquette...........no paper plates needed.

Rule #1 - YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PERSON BEHIND YOU.

You are responsible for knowing that the person behind you made the correct turn at that intersection or fork in the road....or made that difficult terrain. Letting them see you is the important aspect of this rule. Letting them see you lets them know where to go. You being able to lay eyes on them, assures you that they are still moving...and going in the right direction.

Rule #2 - IF SOMETHING HAPPENS? RETURN TO THE LAST KNOWN PLACE YOU MADE CONTACT WITH THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU....and....WAIT (in the case of a vehicular breakdown...obviously you will to stay where you are). Trust the process. Trust that you might have to wait a bit longer than you'd like but if everyone does what they were supposed to (Rule #1), your ride leader, or another member of the ride group will be able to locate you and help you based on where they last laid eyes on you.

When these two rules are observed simultaneously throughout a ride by everyone, the ride runs a lot like a relay race. You “hand off” intersections, forks in the road, and/ or difficult terrain to the person behind you. This ensures that the rider behind you made it, doesn't get left behind. At some point a ride leader will wait for the person behind him, if a reasonable amount of time passes and your ride leader neither sees nor hears the person behind him, he is going to go to the last place he made a “hand off” to find the rider behind him. If that rider does what he is supposed to do, the ride leader will find him in that spot and they will back track methodically in that same manner, rider to rider, until they find who and/or what went wrong. If everyone observes these two rules, no rider will be left behind.

We spent the latter half of our day canvassing the areas looking for four riders. We went back to the lunch spot.....and in the meantime we had to fix a flat, and EPL's rig. I got to sit with that greasy feeling in my stomach that only went away when we got back to the parking lot and found four vehicles gone. Not a great way to end a ride. We have really got to have each others backs out there. This kind of incident takes away the fun of what we came out there to experience.

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Waiting for the next rider is the best and most effective way! Can't wait, can't ride with us! That goes for those who get left behind too. Wait at the last known meeting spot for the leaders to get back. We would have been back to that spot within 30-40 mins on this last ride, but trust we WILL be back and wait.

I'm going to put something together to help those who would like to have radios but don't have a $8-1200 budget. Watch the electronics threads!

Thinking maybe put some links/packages together that could be ordered on the net and I'll host a weekend at the shop to assist in the installation, programming, and antenna tuning?

Nobody gets left behind on a ride I'm on....just separated temporarily. The radios should shorten the time it takes to meet back up.

Well Tony when my wife got done making my sandwich I had her order the radio you recommended .

Tracie
08-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Well Tony when my wife got done making my sandwich I had her order the radio you recommended .

Wait....you mean you ACTUALLY have wife that will do that??? :p

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Radios are great but I think everyone is always worried about being left behind !! But if everyone waits for the person behind them NO one will ever get let behind . The radios would be great for if someone breaks down (I never do ) HAHA a least they can radio ahead so everyone know what is going on . If the radio you told me to get works good it would be a cheap way to go.

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:19 PM

YES and we will soon train you to do it also ! HAHA

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:20 PM

Were going to have a weekend at the shop for the guys to learn how to work there radios and wife's how to make sandwich's. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

CrazyCooter
08-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Barry got one too.

Yes they will work to a point..... If you wait too long to make the call, the distance will be a problem. SO will a mountain being in your way.

Obviously handheld to handheld distance will be limited. Handheld to mobile with good antenna is good. Mobile to mobile is the best. Having nothing doesn't work at all! I figure for a $30-100 investment people can get something that will work pretty good.

Tracie
08-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I agree (well on everything you said except for the part about you not breaking down...that wasn't your rig we were working on, was it Ed?) :cool:. Radios are not to take the place of the two-rule Rider Etiquette. Ever. But having said that, it's nice to be able to problem solve instantly. Having that kind of communication between the ride leader, the last person in the group and perhaps even one in the middle would be extremely helpful on future rides. We are wiling to make that happen in order for the rides to be more cohesive and enjoyable for everyone. That's what this is all about.

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
I agree (well on everything you said except for the part about you not breaking down...that wasn't your rig we were working on, was it Ed?) :cool:. Radios are not to take the place of the two-rule Rider Etiquette. Ever. But having said that, it's nice to be able to problem solve instantly. Having that kind of communication between the ride leader, the last person in the group and perhaps even one in the middle would be extremely helpful on future rides. We are wiling to make that happen in order for the rides to be more cohesive and enjoyable for everyone. That's what this is all about.

NO it wasn't my rig that broke !!!!!!!!!!! It was Patricia's !!!!!!!!!!

Tracie
08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
Were going to have a weekend at the shop for the guys to learn how to work there radios and wife's how to make sandwich's. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight............ ..............................I'll get right on that.

Tracie
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
YES and we will soon train you to do it also ! HAHA

Pretty sure you'd sporting the latest in wearable food. (oops...I just don't know how THAT happened).

Fast Pat
08-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Look what I found. LOL

Tracie
08-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Look what I found. LOL

%$#%$@#$%$#*&^%$#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else I know just posted that. LOL

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Look what I found. LOL

There you go Tracie YOU and Patrica can lead the sandwich making class !!

CrazyCooter
08-10-2015, 07:39 PM
:cool:

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:39 PM
:cool:

lol lol

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Pretty sure you'd sporting the latest in wearable food. (oops...I just don't know how THAT happened).

I'm leaving this alone because we could go all night on this one !!

EPL
08-10-2015, 07:59 PM
What started this thread was the High lakes ride !! All in All we had a good ride i just wish we could have finished the ride like we start with everyone together not split up . Every ride can't go perfect but we can always learn from the last one how to make the next one better .

Beer Mod
08-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Radios are a must!

Glad everyone made it home safe.

Mike621
08-10-2015, 08:57 PM

I would defiantly like to get a radio in my new rig when I get it , just let me know what kind everybody's getting , would be awesome to be able to talk from car to car, I would like to come to the shop to learn even if I don't have me new car yet.

The Rattler (BLR)
08-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I need a sandwich sent to Oregon please....nevermind I don't eat sandwiches....I can see the laughter now around the campfire. ..lol

AlfaBaz
08-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Rule #2 - IF SOMETHING HAPPENS? RETURN TO THE LAST KNOWN PLACE YOU MADE CONTACT WITH THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU....and....WAIT (in the case of a vehicular breakdown...obviously you will to stay where you are). Trust the process. Trust that you might have to wait a bit longer than you'd like but if everyone does what they were supposed to (Rule #1), your ride leader, or another member of the ride group will be able to locate you and help you based on where they last laid eyes on you.

When these two rules are observed simultaneously throughout a ride by everyone, the ride runs a lot like a relay race. You “hand off” intersections, forks in the road, and/ or difficult terrain to the person behind you. This ensures that the rider behind you made it, doesn't get left behind. At some point a ride leader will wait for the person behind him, if a reasonable amount of time passes and your ride leader neither sees nor hears the person behind him, he is going to go to the last place he made a “hand off” to find the rider behind him. If that rider does what he is supposed to do, the ride leader will find him in that spot and they will back track methodically in that same manner, rider to rider, until they find who and/or what went wrong. If everyone observes these two rules, no rider will be left behind.

OK. I told myself not to get into this thread, but first and foremost I will admit I was part of the problem. But, since I tend to fall behind anyway, we were 5 miles down the trail before I got suspicious, and 10 miles (and almost an hour) from that last place we were all together by the time I knew for sure that we were not going to catch up with anyone in front of us. In retrospect, it's real easy to say I should have stopped, and gone back to where we had lunch way, way sooner. But I'm already self-conscious about slowing everyone else down, so couldn't help but think that was the problem, and sooner or later we would find the group waiting for us.

I, too, ordered the cheap radio!

crazywatson
08-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Radio's are sooo nice! At least putting someone in front with one and in back with one will help allot. Good 50 watt radios becuase from the front to the back can be pretty far sometimes.

LBR
08-10-2015, 09:53 PM
BLR has a 50 watt now and I'll be getting one soon. She likes to stay in the back mostly, so that will help on rides we Oreo-go-nadians are in with yall.

drtfun
08-10-2015, 10:19 PM

What kind of radios are they?

G Billy
08-10-2015, 10:45 PM
We went on a Fenders ferry run..EPL was n front with a Rugged hand held and I was running clean up with my 50 watt rugged base mount..I can speak car to car..to my passenger and listen to tunes all at once..Imma radio fan saved my ass more than once. ..I'm n at the meeting to show my equipment. .my experience best time to buy is black Friday. ..

CrazyCooter
08-11-2015, 07:08 AM
This http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A is the inexpensive portable radio option. It is the same radio Rugged is selling for $85. I have one of these myself and have a channel program I can load up for you guys that will allow talking to people with Rugged, FRS, and GMRS radios.

I'd recommend getting the cigarette lighter battery eliminator, speaker mic, and maybe the upgraded antenna. For a real upgrade, I'd install an NMO mount mobile antenna on the roof or cage to double your distance. I have found these for for about $40 if you have a metal roof......if not we can weld on a tab to your cage or Rugged has billet clamp that it clean. Rugged also has a dash mount for the radio on sale right now for $10.

Add this to it if you wand to hear it in you full face helmet and have ptt on the fly: http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=1378

Tracie
08-11-2015, 07:19 AM

OK. I told myself not to get into this thread, but first and foremost I will admit I was part of the problem. But, since I tend to fall behind anyway, we were 5 miles down the trail before I got suspicious, and 10 miles (and almost an hour) from that last place we were all together by the time I knew for sure that we were not going to catch up with anyone in front of us. In retrospect, it's real easy to say I should have stopped, and gone back to where we had lunch way, way sooner. But I'm already self-conscious about slowing everyone else down, so couldn't help but think that was the problem, and sooner or later we would find the group waiting for us.

Any good ride leader will tell you that the ride can only be as fast as the slowest rider. This isn't about speed, nor is this about holding anyone back. You should ride within your comfort zone, and if that's not fast...that's okay. This is what I meant when I said "trust the process". I know what it's like to be in that situation and not know the best thing to do. I've discovered that waiting is always best because your group WILL come find you, once they know there is a problem. Your part in this was very small. Had someone waited for the quads, we would have known sooner there was an issue. That's why Rules 1 and 2 have to work together. Radios are a great way to make that happen sooner and it's also a 'fail safe' in case someone forgets the first two Rules (hey, we know no body is perfect). I was just so relieved when we got back to four less vehicles in the parking lot. Because until that time, I was already calculating the time, extra gas, and next moves we'd have to make if it looked like y'all were still out there. Group rides should be enjoyable to everyone. That's what this is all about.

CrazyCooter
08-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Anyone interested in a 75W mobile for $140? Here ya go...... http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/2900.html

From what I can find on the net, this radio uses the same programming cable as my ft2800r, so I should be able to program these too.

Pipelayer
08-11-2015, 07:48 AM
I was the weak link in the chain , I was following the next machine in front of me on a smaller forest trail and never saw the split, I thought we were on the same trail until we were about 2-4 miles into the new trail when it started to clime the hill we couldn't make it up on the quad, then it was too late, but we went down and found the two behind us, so it all worked out this time , but it definitely sucks getting lost. Like always lead and rear radios would be the best, but???? Money.

It was my bad Mike, I thought you saw me and jumped the gun. I'm totally sorry for that. It won't happen again.

EPL
08-11-2015, 07:53 AM
It was my bad Mike, I thought you saw me and jumped the gun. I'm totally sorry for that. It won't happen again.

It happens sometime Jeff ! Where just going to have to start making sure the other person sees us not just we see them .

The Rattler (BLR)
08-11-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm usually in the back, when I see someone waiting for me I will wave so they know I have seen them...but I also bought a complete radio system from rugged radio at UTV Invasion, so I can listen to my tunes as I'm cruising down the trails

neil11975
08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
This http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-Dual-Band-Two-Way-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A is the inexpensive portable radio option. It is the same radio Rugged is selling for $85. I have one of these myself and have a channel program I can load up for you guys that will allow talking to people with Rugged, FRS, and GMRS radios.

I'd recommend getting the cigarette lighter battery eliminator, speaker mic, and maybe the upgraded antenna. For a real upgrade, I'd install an NMO mount mobile antenna on the roof or cage to double your distance. I have found these for for about $40 if you have a metal roof......if not we can weld on a tab to your cage or Rugged has billet clamp that it clean. Rugged also has a dash mount for the radio on sale right now for $10.

Add this to it if you wand to hear it in you full face helmet and have ptt on the fly http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=1378
The only thing that I can see that is different is that the rugged version comes pre-programmed with some channels. I don't have any experience with these radios. How hard is it to program them so that you can actually use them?

CrazyCooter
08-11-2015, 11:46 AM
The only thing that I can see that is different is that the rugged version comes pre-programmed with some channels. I don't have any experience with these radios. How hard is it to program them so that you can actually use them?

Programming the little BaoFeng with a computer is pretty easy, but on the fly with the radio is a challenge.....$6-12 for the cord and the CHIRP software is free. I have a file that I can share that have the stuff That Rugged uses and then some. I can do them for anyone who is local or on a ride with some notice.

I have cables and software program most BaoFeng and Yaesu radios.

Obviously getting Rugged's intercom, headsets, and wiring harnesses is the way to go as they have a really nice product...I use their 686 intercom, helmet sets, and comfort headsets. Their radios on the other hand are too restrictive and expensive for my uses.

If you guys rode in a car wired up like mine you would drop the $$$$.....Until you experience it, you just can't know how nice it is to ride 150 high speed miles and not have your ears ringing at the end of the day. Music, conversations with your passengers, and car to car are almost like riding in a vehicle with windows!

lainracing
08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
I agree with using radios making sure we have eye contact waiting for the last person behind this is very important because there's a lot of places and we ride and we're exploring that nobody's ever been to except for maybe the lead rider. I guess in one perspective we can be thankful that that poor little 300 Kawasaki wouldn't make it up the hill which led Mike and I had to turn around and go back down and find Frank and Barry so it all turned out in the end but I think we should plan on having riders meetings before we leave for the ride just as a friendly reminder.

EPL
08-11-2015, 07:21 PM
I agree with using radios making sure we have eye contact waiting for the last person behind this is very important because there's a lot of places and we ride and we're exploring that nobody's ever been to except for maybe the lead rider. I guess in one perspective we can be thankful that that poor little 300 Kawasaki wouldn't make it up the hill which led Mike and I had to turn around and go back down and find Frank and Barry so it all turned out in the end but I think we should plan on having riders meetings before we leave for the ride just as a friendly reminder.

We'll talk tomorrow at one of my apt's . I think the problem is that not all of or rides are on a planned route .

Tracie
08-11-2015, 08:03 PM

No one is perfect. If these things didn't get brought up and discussed they wouldn't be fixed. We won't tar and feather you THIS time........:p

G Billy
08-11-2015, 08:12 PM
I have already made the investment with Rugged equipment. .helmet sets or head phones depending on weather.Went this route cause it was a no Brainerd set u. I do get tired of hearing the wife also..lol im n here to help if anyone would like to see...

66Elco
08-11-2015, 08:17 PM
I have a line on a cobra 75 wx st but from what I've read it operates on AM. Will this work with the radios you all use or do I need something else?

neil11975
08-11-2015, 08:34 PM

Add this to it if you wand to hear it in you full face helmet and have ptt on the fly: http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=763_764&products_id=1378

I am ordering one of these tonight along with the programming cable. The price is so cheap that even if I don't like it, I'm not out too much money. I would definitely be interested in the info on how to program the channels that we would be using along with some emergency ones once it shows up. Thanks for all the info and being willing to help out.

EPL
08-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I am ordering one of these tonight along with the programming cable. The price is so cheap that even if I don't like it, I'm not out too much money. I would definitely be interested in the info on how to program the channels that we would be using along with some emergency ones once it shows up. Thanks for all the info and being willing to help out.

I have to agree with you on the price !! I ordered everything they recommended , the cable and the hand held .l

AlfaBaz
08-11-2015, 08:46 PM
I have to agree with you on the price !! I ordered everything they recommended , the cable and the hand held .l

Ditto. Oh, and I also ordered the external antenna.

CrazyCooter
08-11-2015, 10:38 PM
I have a line on a cobra 75 wx st but from what I've read it operates on AM. Will this work with the radios you all use or do I need something else?

That is a Cb 27mhz AM.... won't work for anything we use. You want at least something on the VHF band like that Yaesu ft2900 mobile I posted above.

CrazyCooter
08-11-2015, 10:41 PM
For anyone who wants to program themselves, I'll upload the file to dropbox and share a link via pm for anyone who asks for it.

motosx
08-11-2015, 11:25 PM

this is the best money you can spend on your utv. so instead of shiney billett piece get a radio .all our group has them. nothing like hearing jmo over radio " rolled over.. rolled over". we lost "J" in glamis and probably never would have found him if he did not have radio. cheap cheap insurance. i have the 50 watt rugged set and orks great.
the baofeng is cheap option but get the rugged helmet kit. the baofeng helmet kits is pure static in everyones ear. (shoop)

motosx
08-11-2015, 11:27 PM
http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=302_529_530&products_id=1323

link to radio

motosx
08-11-2015, 11:32 PM
50 watt kit

intercom to talk to passenger

Beach Leo
08-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Good Tread

Lotta good Ideas Here

I have always felt that before ride we should get every-one together and have a drivers Meeting

And Explain the Rules

Never Leave Your Wing-Man. That is the person following You

Ed Harvey
08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Wow !!!!!
Paper plates got a lot of information out there .
A driver's meeting at the start of a ride would be good.
Radio's with the help to set them up. Its great that somebody would take the time to do that.
The driver etiquette was great.
So with all of this I am going to look into the radio .
I had no idea that paper plates would bring all this out .
Crazy's great group thanks for everyone's input .

MrH
08-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Do you need a Ham Radio license to use these radios legally?

Tracie
08-12-2015, 01:45 PM

No, because it's not about the radio. It's about the frequency you use on the radio.

Tracie
08-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Crzyctr and myself are licensed HAM operators in the Technical class. He could probably explain that in more detail better than I can. But that's the short answer.

MrH
08-12-2015, 01:48 PM
No, because it's not about the radio. It's about the frequency you use on the radio.

Great, now I'll order one.

MrH
08-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Just ordered all this,

Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate
Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - Saturday, August 22, 2015 by 8:00pm

BaoFeng Dual PTT Earpiece for UV-82 / UV-82X / UV-82C
BaoFeng Dual PTT Earpiece for UV-82 / UV-82X / UV-82C $4.15
Qty: 1
Sold By: Grace Trade Corp

EarlyBirdSavings Car Battery Adapter Eliminator for Baofeng UV-5R
EarlyBirdSavings Car Battery Adapter Eliminator for Baofeng UV-5R $6.10
Sold By: E-Rainbow

BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black
BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black $26.10
Sold By: WickedSpec

Dual band Hypario sma-female UV Antenna for baofeng UV-5R dual band...
Dual band Hypario sma-female UV Antenna for baofeng UV-5R dual band... $11.68
Sold By: Two way radio Wholesaler

Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker
Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker $5.82
Sold By: Howay

Newest Baofeng Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/5RA/5R Plus/5RE...
Newest Baofeng Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/5RA/5R Plus/5RE... $10.99
Sold By: idobestshop

neil11975
08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
My stuff is supposed to be here on Friday. I have amazon prime so I get free 2 day shipping.

MrH
08-12-2015, 02:19 PM
My stuff is supposed to be here on Friday. I have amazon prime so I get free 2 day shipping.

I got free shipping but 5-8 days.

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 02:29 PM

As rugged radio says on the forums "You don't need a license to transmit"! However, you cannot transmit legally on any channel they have programmed at the power level they programmed though.....

Confused yet? That's kind of like you can kill someone, but only in very select circumstances it's legal!

A ham license doesn't get you legal on any of these frequencies either. Just like with GMRS radios, you need to obtain a license from the FCC for the frequencies you will be using.....that's assuming someone doesn't already have rights to them....which many of them they do...Then you need permission to do so....Probably written.

I think Jeep Speed was one that would be legal, but only with 2watts transmit power. One of the is marine search and rescue freq. Not a good choice to be using especially on the coast!

I'm at work right now, so I'll have to expand on this later. The whole point I try to make with people is that pretty much as long as you aren't causing interference, nobody will have a reason to complain to the FCC. I believe the fine for unauthorized transmission is up to $10,000 for the first violation.

I'll have to look at a channel list for specifics.

I know I'm not willing to pay $10k OR loose my Ham license.....

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 02:33 PM
I would also recommend NOT getting that magnet mount antenna fropm Amazon unless you plan to use it on your pickup. It will not work on you RZR as it needs a flat sheet metal surface to stick to and it will never stay on in the conditions we travel in.

I have another source where you can get something that will last and work much better for $40. I'll post it up when I get home.

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 02:59 PM
This is an excellent basic tech writeup on radio operations. It might be a little over most people's heads, but lots of useful stuff for everyone. If you are planning to come to the "clinic", please read it over. This will help you better understand some other things I will be going over.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Comms/

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Just ordered all this,

Not yet shipped
Delivery Estimate
Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - Saturday, August 22, 2015 by 8:00pm

BaoFeng Dual PTT Earpiece for UV-82 / UV-82X / UV-82C
BaoFeng Dual PTT Earpiece for UV-82 / UV-82X / UV-82C $4.15
Sold By: Grace Trade Corp

EarlyBirdSavings Car Battery Adapter Eliminator for Baofeng UV-5R
EarlyBirdSavings Car Battery Adapter Eliminator for Baofeng UV-5R $6.10
Sold By: E-Rainbow

BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black
BaoFeng UV5R Dual-Band Two-Way Radio, Black $26.10
Sold By: WickedSpec

Dual band Hypario sma-female UV Antenna for baofeng UV-5R dual band...
Dual band Hypario sma-female UV Antenna for baofeng UV-5R dual band... $11.68
Sold By: Two way radio Wholesaler

Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker
Baofeng BF-S112 Two Way Radio Speaker $5.82
Sold By: Howay

Newest Baofeng Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/5RA/5R Plus/5RE...
Newest Baofeng Programming Cable for Baofeng UV-5R/5RA/5R Plus/5RE... $10.99
Sold By: idobestshop

Mr H,

I do believe the earpiece PTT comes with the radio. If it's not too late, have a look and cancel the order for it if you can.

MrH
08-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Mr H,

I do believe the earpiece PTT comes with the radio. If it's not too late, have a look and cancel the order for it if you can.

According to the description it does not come with this radio. It does show it in the pic however. I'll keep it in the order to have a spare if it does come with it.

Lennart
08-12-2015, 05:46 PM
When I ride in a group we don't leave till the vehicle behind gives the thumbs up that he sees you .

CarrieJ899
08-12-2015, 07:35 PM

this is the best money you can spend on your utv. so instead of shiney billett piece get a radio .all our group has them. nothing like hearing jmo over radio " rolled over.. rolled over". we lost "J" in glamis and probably never would have found him if he did not have radio. cheap cheap insurance. i have the 50 watt rugged set and orks great.
the baofeng is cheap option but get the rugged helmet kit. the baofeng helmet kits is pure static in everyones ear. (shoop)

Ben and I both won this exact set-up last year from Rugged. We use them and they work awesome. They have about 2-3 mile range, but are loud and clear enough even while going. Highly recommend.

lainracing
08-12-2015, 07:39 PM
Tony just ordered the radio off Amazon

EPL
08-12-2015, 08:32 PM

I don't think you were the person that caused the problem !!!! Next ride we will talk about it before we leave . Were all there to have fun !!!!

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 08:33 PM
Pretty cool to see you guys jumping on this! It adds another level of enjoyment on a group ride.

Looks like my home computer is down for now, so I'll have to post those links at work.......

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 08:49 PM
This is a great resource for the Baofeng uv5..... http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm going to post some links for recommended antennas and mounts for the radios, but thinking I should do it in the 2way/gps section....look for it over there!

EPL
08-12-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm going to post some links for recommended antennas and mounts for the radios, but thinking I should do it in the 2way/gps section....look for it over there!

good idea tony !

Beach Leo
08-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Hey Ed when you led the Trinity Lake Ride

What would be your guess on how many miles apart and how many minutes apart from You the leader to the last UTV?

Just asking cause, need radio that can transmit and receive in the Hills, forest area we ride in that far apart

AlfaBaz
08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Hey Ed when you led the Trinity Lake Ride

What would be your guess on how many miles apart and how many minutes apart from You the leader to the last UTV?

Just asking cause, need radio that can transmit and receive in the Hills, forest area we ride in that far apart

Great point, Leo!

We had a lot of riders, and there was a lot of dust, but I'll bet there was way less than a mile between Ed and who ever was riding sweeper.

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 10:07 PM
I have uploaded the Baofeng file to my dropbox. Anyone who is going to attempt it on your own (Highly recommended), PM me and I'll send you a link. Tons of info on the net too....Google is your friend!

MrH
08-12-2015, 10:32 PM
Will Chirp work on a PC using Vista?

CrazyCooter
08-12-2015, 10:38 PM
That I don't know. All my stuff is XP, windows 7 or 8. Wasn't Vista after xp?

Edit: looks like they have it all covered...XP, Vista, 7,8, Mac, and Linux!

AlfaBaz
08-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Will Chirp work on a PC using Vista?

Say what????????

Pipelayer
08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
I don't think you were the person that caused the problem !!!! Next ride we will talk about it before we leave . Were all there to have fun !!!!

Ed if I was, I'll own it. I know there was a couple that did and I'm sorry if I ruined their trip. Thx

EPL
08-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Ed if I was, I'll own it. I know there was a couple that did and I'm sorry if I ruined their trip. Thx

I don't think anyone had a bad time just didn't all have the same ride .

MrH
08-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Say what????????

Barry, Vista is my computers operating system.

Pipelayer
08-13-2015, 09:07 AM
I don't think anyone had a bad time just didn't all have the same ride .

10-4

CrazyCooter
08-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Say what????????

You must be and Apple guy? Or not a computer guy at all?:confused:

Beach Leo
08-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Over 1,400 Hits on Getting Separated

What a Thread!

AlfaBaz
08-13-2015, 10:16 AM
You must be and Apple guy? Or not a computer guy at all?:confused:

Somewhere in between. I do use a Mac laptop, but I'm not very tech savvy!!!

Sweet34
08-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Over 1,400 Hits on Getting Separated

What a Thread!

I think the is so many hits because it's something everyone that rides in a group has to worry about.

Ed Harvey
08-14-2015, 11:04 AM
No way 1,400 hits on this I can't believe that when i said maybe we could use some paper plates to mark a ride that there was so much interest in it.

neil11975
08-14-2015, 06:55 PM
For anyone who wants to program themselves, I'll upload the file to dropbox and share a link via pm for anyone who asks for it.

I sent you a private message. I was hoping to get that dropbox link from you. I got my radio today. Thanks

CrazyCooter
08-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I sent you a private message. I was hoping to get that dropbox link from you. I got my radio today. Thanks
Sent you the link Neil

neil11975
08-14-2015, 08:26 PM
Sent you the link Neil

Thank you so much. I got the radio programmed. Now if I can just figure out how to use it. LOL. What channel does everyone use when we are out on rides?

CrazyCooter
08-14-2015, 11:20 PM
I added one channel....65 I think? That one is MURS Channel 1or Jeepspeed in the Rugged mobile program. That one is an un unlicensed public use freq. Of all of them, that would be my preference.

CrazyCooter
08-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Do you live on a hill? I might be able to reach you on my base station.

neil11975
08-15-2015, 09:06 AM
i didn't even notice there was another channel below the large group of them. There was a bunch of empty spots between 36-65. I am going to have to connect the radio up to my computer again to program that channel into it. Is there any more channels past that? I went to 150 and didn't see any more. I was able to get the GMRS channels to communicate with my little midland walkie talkies though.

MrH
08-15-2015, 09:51 AM
i didn't even notice there was another channel below the large group of them. There was a bunch of empty spots between 36-65. I am going to have to connect the radio up to my computer again to program that channel into it. Is there any more channels past that? I went to 150 and didn't see any more. I was able to get the GMRS channels to communicate with my little midland walkie talkies though.

Neil, I went all the way to 400 and 65 is the last for me.

CrazyCooter
08-15-2015, 10:27 AM
#65 was the last one. I kept it at #65 because that's what the mobiles use and wanted to keep it the same. This way everyone can be on #65 and match. I also added all the FRS freq to this file.

If these radios had more memories, I could give you the entire mobile radio file in addition to the GMRS/FRS stuff.

MrH
08-15-2015, 10:32 AM
#65 was the last one. I kept it at #65 because that's what the mobiles use and wanted to keep it the same. This way everyone can be on #65 and match. I also added all the FRS freq to this file.

If these radios had more memories, I could give you the entire mobile radio file in addition to the GMRS/FRS stuff.

Are all the channels on your file legal to use without a license?

MrH
08-15-2015, 02:13 PM
I just bought this to study for the ham radio test.

ARRL Ham Radio License ManualThe by Ward Silver (2011, Mixed media product)

$21.99

CrazyCooter
08-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Are all the channels on your file legal to use without a license?

Yes and no...... Yes, you are allowed to use the 1-14 FRS and the MURS 1/Jeepspeed channels without a license, however to be legal you would have to be transmitting from an FCC approved radio for the freq you are using which the Baofeng is not.....

This keeps you from transmitting too strong of a signal and interfering with other users.....like in a big city. Imagine if an FRS user was using an external antenna with 100 watts power was transmitting in Sacramento.....That freq would be tied up for a 50-100 mile radius. There are only 14 channels FRS available for the whole public in the area to use! How many users in the greater Sac area at any given time? 100's? 1,000's? This is why the FCC has limited it to 500mw and no external antenna.

So keep in mind you would be transmitting illegally and I would never endorse or recommend that! The FCC does allow you to use any means possible in the event of life/injury or property damage. You will find this in your ARRL study guide.

The main thing is to know enough about this so that you don't cause interference in the first place and generate the complaint where FCC shows up at an event/s to cite people operating illegally. I'm surprised we have not heard of this issue at places like Glamis. Lots of $10K citations could be issued on a holiday weekend!

Glad to see read you are interested in getting you ham ticket. It has been a fun hobby over the years and It's my way of staying in touch with the outside world when I'm riding alone. Cell phones don't work most places I like to travel......

If you get geeked out on this, you might end up finding more to program in there. You would be surprised what kind of radio activity is in your neighborhood..... Some of my neighbors are still using old 900mhz cordless phones and baby monitors.....

For online study, you can register at QRZ.com and do the online practice tests. https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ For those who don't want to study and would like to get their license in one day, check out your local area radio clubs for a "Ham Cram". This is where you watch a power point presentation in the morning and then test after lunch before you forget everything! 95%+ pass rate!

Keep in mind the Ham license won't get you any more privileges to talk to UTV people. You will just end up in the same boat I'm in whre you have to use the crap freq where the unlicensed "Radio trash" has to hang out!:o

Ed Harvey
08-24-2015, 11:30 AM
We should be good out in the woods with a little 5 watt radio?

CrazyCooter
08-24-2015, 06:23 PM
We should be good out in the woods with a little 5 watt radio?

Yes, IF you have a good properly installed external antenna.