PDA

View Full Version : Tensor tires.

Flying Dog
07-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Has anyone tried the Tensor tires ? If you have did you like them ?

briancleary
07-21-2015, 05:40 PM
Ive heard nothing but good about them except for the cost,I would love a pair but thats down the road a few years when my RZR 570 grows up !! :cool:

Tgator
07-29-2015, 06:08 AM
I have tensor ties on my xp1000 and think they work well .

Dirt Runner
07-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I would like to get some Tensor tires but not sure what size would work the best on my 900 . Any ideas ?

Mavmann
08-05-2015, 07:18 AM
I have them and happy with them .

EPL
08-05-2015, 07:23 AM
I would like to get some Tensor tires but not sure what size would work the best on my 900 . Any ideas ?

I have checking them out and they make a 28x10x12 so I think I'm going to try them on my XP900 .

washrepair
08-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Just put a set on my xp1000 last night , going on a rally this weekend , I'll give a report when I get back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPL
08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Just put a set on my xp1000 last night , going on a rally this weekend , I'll give a report when I get back

I will be interested in hearing how they do .

washrepair
08-23-2015, 03:21 PM
My Tensor Tire Update , i went on 85 mile rally out of hawthorn NV. Started out with a 3 mile ride down the highway to the start line , Very quiet running down the highway no howling like the bighorns and handled more like a car, ( the bighorns would fight me a bit running down the highway ) Off the start line we had gravel road loose pebbles , the tires handled very well , i was pitching it sideways trying to lose control or break traction but the tires held the road , maybe a little too much ( with bighorns i could slide for days ) then we got into a dry creek bed with sand washes, heavy gravel and hidden rocks in bushes with very tight turns, never once did i underestimate the tire they pulled me out of the turns and wherever i pointed the car it was there. ( im running 13 psi ) Then we started climbing up a mountain side with switchbacks and full of rocks about 8-12" with sharp edges so im running a bit slower , low range 4-wheel drive , with the 30" tall tires im running over the rocks with ease, after we get off the mountain we got onto some open dirt road , well a lot of open dirt road, ran thru some mud, i stopped in the mud in two wheel drive , spun the tires and came right out ( it rained half the day on Friday and no dust all day ) then we got into some tight bushes with tight turns and rocks not heavy , i ran across two flat tires one buggy and one RZR , a pinched rear side wall on a bighorn ( iv been there ) so more open dirt roads , running down power line roads , then we get into some new trail covered in heavy bush ( an old trail that forest service let them use to reopen the trail ) lots of broken bush with sharp edges and were running over the top , a little hard to pick my way through , just following the broken bush trail, and then back out into open road , the rest of the day was the same tight trails and open roads , we had a lot of rocky trails this year , i did hit a couple hidden rocks, never stopped to check tires, if it was going flat ill change it. ( no flats ) This was my first ride with these tires and i am very happy and would recommend them. i checked the tires when i got back to the hotel, no cuts or bruises. im going to the UTV Invasion in Idaho, ill run the tires in the sand and give my report ( I compared them to bighorns because that's the only other tire i have used )

Beer Mod
08-24-2015, 12:22 AM
^^^ good info

EPL
08-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Great report Russell !! I'm glad to hear your happy with the because I was planning on getting them for my 900 .

blueridinhi
08-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Good write up

Millerrg
08-27-2015, 07:23 AM
My Tensor Tire Update , i went on 85 mile rally out of hawthorn NV. Started out with a 3 mile ride down the highway to the start line , Very quiet running down the highway no howling like the bighorns and handled more like a car, ( the bighorns would fight me a bit running down the highway ) Off the start line we had gravel road loose pebbles , the tires handled very well , i was pitching it sideways trying to lose control or break traction but the tires held the road , maybe a little too much ( with bighorns i could slide for days ) then we got into a dry creek bed with sand washes, heavy gravel and hidden rocks in bushes with very tight turns, never once did i underestimate the tire they pulled me out of the turns and wherever i pointed the car it was there. ( im running 13 psi ) Then we started climbing up a mountain side with switchbacks and full of rocks about 8-12" with sharp edges so im running a bit slower , low range 4-wheel drive , with the 30" tall tires im running over the rocks with ease, after we get off the mountain we got onto some open dirt road , well a lot of open dirt road, ran thru some mud, i stopped in the mud in two wheel drive , spun the tires and came right out ( it rained half the day on Friday and no dust all day ) then we got into some tight bushes with tight turns and rocks not heavy , i ran across two flat tires one buggy and one RZR , a pinched rear side wall on a bighorn ( iv been there ) so more open dirt roads , running down power line roads , then we get into some new trail covered in heavy bush ( an old trail that forest service let them use to reopen the trail ) lots of broken bush with sharp edges and were running over the top , a little hard to pick my way through , just following the broken bush trail, and then back out into open road , the rest of the day was the same tight trails and open roads , we had a lot of rocky trails this year , i did hit a couple hidden rocks, never stopped to check tires, if it was going flat ill change it. ( no flats ) This was my first ride with these tires and i am very happy and would recommend them. i checked the tires when i got back to the hotel, no cuts or bruises. im going to the UTV Invasion in Idaho, ill run the tires in the sand and give my report ( I compared them to bighorns because that's the only other tire i have used )

Thanks for the feedback on these tires! I have been eying them for when my stock Bighorns are shot. I don't think they will go the summer. I have just under 600 miles on them now and they show about 1/3 of the tread gone from the back tires. I noticed wear after the first 35 miles. We also do a few miles of each ride on pavement going from our garage to the dirt. I know the pavement really wears them, so nead a better tire for ride and wear in that aspect also. I too have been noticing the less than stellar cornering, so want to upgrade to a tire that will make a big difference. I also like the MotoCrawler, but they are hugely pricey. I will be interested to see how yours wear as well as knowing that they perform really well.

Yellow Toy
08-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Looks like these are what I'm looking for !

EPL
09-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Washrepair , how did the tensor tires do on the ride in Idaho ?? Are you still happy with them ??

Turtle Tim
09-13-2015, 06:29 PM
One advantage of the Tensor's is they are DOT rated. We tried to get into Yellowstone and all but Russell were denied entry because we didn't have DOT tires.
Would of been awesome to drive around the park in RZR's.

gridman
09-13-2015, 06:38 PM
AS soon as they come out with the 32" I will try out a set

The Rattler (BLR)
09-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Russell what's your thoughts after the Idaho journey...
I have been living on big horn time...lol...have over 6000 miles between both machines with the BH'S with 0 issues but I know one of these days I'm the one that will have a flat or split side wall with no spare..:(

LBR
09-14-2015, 09:30 AM
The only negative report I have caught on these tires are they may not be in the top 5 for East coast guys because the tread is too tight.....the mud guys don't think they will clean as good as several they use now. To be expected for running 90% of the time in gumbo mud, one needs open tread to clean.

They sound like a good tire for us. Maybe we should have a Tire Pictorial Thread with closeups of our tire treads!... Lol....be curious to compare treads like Ed's 1K, Russell's Tensors, etc.

The Rattler (BLR)
09-20-2015, 09:06 AM
One advantage of the Tensor's is they are DOT rated. We tried to get into Yellowstone and all but Russell were denied entry because we didn't have DOT tires.
Would of been awesome to drive around the park in RZR's.
Is it because of the steel belts that make them DOT approved??

washrepair
09-20-2015, 07:10 PM
My Tensor Tire Sand/Idaho Update
The tire did good in the sand, I was running 5 psi, 2 wd and i was able to stay with the group , i did notice a loss of power with the 30" tall tires
i did not make a transition because of lack of speed, power and not enough tire , come around shot it again in 4wd with ease , so i stayed in 4wd and wow what a difference
the car handled better and the rear end did not want to get in front of me, still lack of power from 30" tall tires or altitude . I did change my tires , put the bighorns on , car had more power with the 29" tires ( i like the bighorn's better in sand )
At Red Rock park i put my Tensors back on , we went up to the radar ball thing , I'm running 13 psi and the tires were very loose , very small pebbles on the road , but i heard other people saying the same thing
On all other trails the tires were perfect, The thing i did notice from the tires , when running in west Yellowstone and making turns the tires would bark and loud so i tried to take it easy to not draw attention ( 5 RZR in West Yellowstone was enough attention ) I'm looking forward to sand mountain so me and Ed can do some side x side tire testing

washrepair
09-20-2015, 07:18 PM
The only negative report I have caught on these tires are they may not be in the top 5 for East coast guys because the tread is too tight.....the mud guys don't think they will clean as good as several they use now. To be expected for running 90% of the time in gumbo mud, one needs open tread to clean.

They sound like a good tire for us. Maybe we should have a Tire Pictorial Thread with closeups of our tire treads!... Lol....be curious to compare treads like Ed's 1K, Russell's Tensors, etc.

With the lack of rain we don't have any gumbo mud , if we find some at sand mountain ill jump in , see what happens ( hope everyone's winch is working lol )

Turtle Tim
09-20-2015, 08:53 PM
I found some water while we were there Russell!

washrepair
09-20-2015, 09:14 PM

No Thanks , did you get a new phone lol

EPL
09-21-2015, 11:16 AM
With the lack of rain we don't have any gumbo mud , if we find some at sand mountain ill jump in , see what happens ( hope everyone's winch is working lol )

I ready to pull you out !! Only after I take some pictures !! LOL

Beer Mod
09-22-2015, 09:26 PM

Sweet pic!!

Pipelayer
09-23-2015, 12:54 PM
My Tensor Tire Sand/Idaho Update
The tire did good in the sand, I was running 5 psi, 2 wd and i was able to stay with the group , i did notice a loss of power with the 30" tall tires
i did not make a transition because of lack of speed, power and not enough tire , come around shot it again in 4wd with ease , so i stayed in 4wd and wow what a difference
the car handled better and the rear end did not want to get in front of me, still lack of power from 30" tall tires or altitude . I did change my tires , put the bighorns on , car had more power with the 29" tires ( i like the bighorn's better in sand )
At Red Rock park i put my Tensors back on , we went up to the radar ball thing , I'm running 13 psi and the tires were very loose , very small pebbles on the road , but i heard other people saying the same thing
On all other trails the tires were perfect, The thing i did notice from the tires , when running in west Yellowstone and making turns the tires would bark and loud so i tried to take it easy to not draw attention ( 5 RZR in West Yellowstone was enough attention ) I'm looking forward to sand mountain so me and Ed can do some side x side tire testing

A clutch kit to match your tire size will help a lot. It made a big difference on mine.

XS-Cash
09-30-2015, 07:50 AM
I read some place that you can't us the Tensor tires with bead locks . Does anyone know if this is true ?

The Rattler (BLR)
09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
I have heard method wheels only but I also seen somewhere a set for sale with STI wheels.
I did read where they are tough to mount..it just takes time & patiences

Rockhead37
10-05-2016, 08:29 AM

Great info thanks

Walker River? great spot!

The Rattler (BLR)
10-05-2016, 08:40 AM
I will see how they work.. put 15" beadlocks with Tensors on the the Ole Maverick for Cold Springs Station & Sand Mountain for this next trip

crazywatson
10-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I have a set they have been great so far

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FBT
01-19-2018, 05:31 PM
This is the best thread I have found anywhere on these tires. I am at that point where a replacement for the Bighorns is going to have to happen and want a better all around tire that doesn't lose too much to the bighorns in the sand. We will put the paddles on if I know we are staying in the sand but you guys know how that is especially at Sand Mountain. I don't want to be hauling three complete sets of tires, dirt, bighorn and paddles.
But I still want to be able to get around at the mountain...decisions decisions.

Looking the Sedona Rock-A Billy as well.

EPL
01-19-2018, 06:20 PM
This is the best thread I have found anywhere on these tires. I am at that point where a replacement for the Bighorns is going to have to happen and want a better all around tire that doesn't lose too much to the bighorns in the sand. We will put the paddles on if I know we are staying in the sand but you guys know how that is especially at Sand Mountain. I don't want to be hauling three complete sets of tires, dirt, bighorn and paddles.
But I still want to be able to get around at the mountain...decisions decisions.

Looking the Sedona Rock-A Billy as well.

Myself and some others here on the forum have the Pro Crawlers and are very happy with them . They work well in dirt ,snow ,mud and i drive mine with them on it all over the sand !!

Mike621
01-19-2018, 07:02 PM
I to have been looking at tires lately , I like the Pro Crawlers, also here really good things about this MTR Kevlar tire, looks a lot like Pro Crewlers with extra side wall protection.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/107a1e37d0cf2606ac23d321326d298e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/e612b10a439c745a32154356a1df6ee2.jpg

Kbachell
01-19-2018, 08:14 PM
I got tired of installing tire plugs in my Big Horns at Virginia City so I bought Pro Crawler 32's and they came in today! My wife watches this forum... not bad for $300, right Honey???

:-)25332533

AlfaBaz
01-19-2018, 08:34 PM
I'm happy with my Tensor Regulators.

Scrat
01-20-2018, 07:03 AM
I to have been looking at tires lately , I like the Pro Crawlers, also here really good things about this MTR Kevlar tire, looks a lot like Pro Crewlers with extra side wall protection.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/107a1e37d0cf2606ac23d321326d298e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/e612b10a439c745a32154356a1df6ee2.jpg

They make the Pro Crawler in Kevlar also if you want to pay the money for Kevlar .

EPL
01-20-2018, 07:23 AM
I got tired of installing tire plugs in my Big Horns at Virginia City so I bought Pro Crawler 32's and they came in today! My wife watches this forum... not bad for $300, right Honey??? :-)25332533

You got one hell of a deal there !! Sign me up for a couple of sets !! LOL

Yellow Toy
01-20-2018, 08:55 AM
I have pro crawlers , they seen to be a good all around tire .

Pipelayer
03-03-2018, 05:14 PM
I got tired of installing tire plugs in my Big Horns at Virginia City so I bought Pro Crawler 32's and they came in today! My wife watches this forum... not bad for $300, right Honey???

:-)25332533

Sweet! Did you get your tranny done?

Kbachell
03-04-2018, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=Pipelayer;41584]Sweet! Did you get your tranny done?
Nope... not yet. I am going to cold springs this next weekend so I didn't want to take it apart, in case I find something else wrong and then run out of time to get it back together. I will probably tear it down right after I get back. Bought a used diesel pusher motorhome this last week, so I have been transferring everything over from my old motorhome... had no idea how much stuff I was able to pack in a 30 foot motorhome!! Lol