PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

Fuzzy
07-14-2015, 07:20 AM
I have a 2011 rzr 800 how much can a stock battery handle ? only add-ons I have is a winch and 6" light bar. do I need 2 batteries or should 1 handle it.

XS-Cash
07-14-2015, 07:35 AM
If your battery is in good shape, one battery will be good. If you use your winch, have your motor running. You should be fine

johnnycat8
07-14-2015, 03:51 PM
it's more of a how much are you pulling in amps... even a large amp battery can only last so long with the low amps the stator can charge at. i would get a larger amp hr battery many are out their prices can get high you could run 2 batterys for more amps if you run a isolator you will only have the amps of the 1.

with only a 6 in light bar thats a very small load now the wintch can draw alot for you id just replace with a oddesy or one of the otheir higher amps

Scoundrel
07-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Run it like that for a while and see if you have any troubles with the battery getting low. I think it will be fine.

Millerrg
07-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Its all a function of the current draw of the accessories you use.

The limiting factor is not the battery, but the charging system, that being the stator.

The stator on an 800 is sized to handle just the stock RZR. There is some to spare, but not a lot.

Using a winch, you'll see the system voltage pull down pretty good. So long as you don't use the winch for more than a few minutes, the system will recover quickly.

LED light bars use very little current compared to the old style halogen lights, so that's not much of an issue.

Stereo system use a lot of current, so if you're using it all the time...you're liable to pull the system down far enough to kill the engine as there are components that have low voltage shut offs.

Get a good voltmeter and install it where it can be seen, the dash, and use that as your guide. If your voltage gets in the low 12 volts and stays there, shut something off until you're back in the 13 volt range.

A second battery with a smart isolator will allow the "starting battery" to stay fully charged and only charge the "accessory battery" when the system voltage is above 13.2 volts.

Thus if you are using the accessories that put a heavy draw on the accessory battery, its liable to "die" during a long riding day. As the RZR electrical system may be working hard to keep the "starting battery" at 13.2+ volts and thus doesn't provide current to charge the "accessory" battery often enough to keep it charged.

Use a battery charger to charge it overnight...and you're ready to go.

EPL
07-14-2015, 07:27 PM
I think you will be fine with the one battery !!

Beer Mod
07-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Small price to pay for peace of mind IMO. I love mine

Pipelayer
07-15-2015, 05:53 AM
I don't know anyone who uses their wench that much. Why add the extra weight if you don't need to. Maybe upgrade your battery like Beer Mod if your concerned about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Leo
07-15-2015, 10:46 PM
This is just a thought

A lot of us run with a roof

Could put say a 300 watt solar panel for roof

Could help some

johnnycat8
07-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Its all a function of the current draw of the accessories you use.

The limiting factor is not the battery, but the charging system, that being the stator.

The stator on an 800 is sized to handle just the stock RZR. There is some to spare, but not a lot.

Using a winch, you'll see the system voltage pull down pretty good. So long as you don't use the winch for more than a few minutes, the system will recover quickly.

LED light bars use very little current compared to the old style halogen lights, so that's not much of an issue.

Stereo system use a lot of current, so if you're using it all the time...you're liable to pull the system down far enough to kill the engine as there are components that have low voltage shut offs.

Get a good voltmeter and install it where it can be seen, the dash, and use that as your guide. If your voltage gets in the low 12 volts and stays there, shut something off until you're back in the 13 volt range.

A second battery with a smart isolator will allow the "starting battery" to stay fully charged and only charge the "accessory battery" when the system voltage is above 13.2 volts.

Thus if you are using the accessories that put a heavy draw on the accessory battery, its liable to "die" during a long riding day. As the RZR electrical system may be working hard to keep the "starting battery" at 13.2+ volts and thus doesn't provide current to charge the "accessory" battery often enough to keep it charged.

Use a battery charger to charge it overnight...and you're ready to go.

on thing most people forget is the power used for just the stock stuff.....fuel pump, radiator fan,ecm,all the sensors and coil ,lights, i havent figured it out on the newer stuff bit on a bone stock 800 it used just over 65% of the stators capasity.... so not much is left

johnnycat8
07-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Small price to pay for peace of mind IMO. I love mine

i run a oddesy too but its rattings are sort of a joke the over 1000 amp is for just a few sec so in the real world it's just a i think 500 amp battery. i have tryied others that had a 700 amp rating but over time the rought riding killed them and my oddesy is still going strong..(side note i bought it in 2008) the best battery i have found is a STINGER brand it tested at 900 amps came with its on very nice battery box but it was not a drop in as its bigger. and with suck small stators if you draw any battery down it will never charge back up good... so as said in a post befor hook a charger up for a wile after your last ride....also as leo said a nice solar panel is nice i had one id hook up after rides wile in camp i had a quick disconect for it and just sat it on the roof (also used it on rv batterys too) with all the stuff even polaris sells you would think they would build a better charging system...oh wait that cost more....