PDA

View Full Version : Best tires you can get for a hauler.

crazywatson
07-01-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm going to change the tires on my hauler before Idaho. I want the best tires money can buy. My trailer came with China bombs and there close to e years old. I'm real lucky so far. After seeing Russell's trailer side get destroyed it reminded me of the time the same thing happened to me on China bombs less then a year old. So should I go with truck tires, better trailer tires or what?

The thing that worries me about truck tires is some told me trailer tires are designed to slide when you turn because there dual axle. I'm not sure about that? So what's the creme de la creme of trailer tires?

washrepair
07-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Im not crazy about the tires i just put on , and thinking the same thing , Ed had some nice tires on his trailer

Beach Leo
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
I would go with a Commercial Tire like the BF Goodrich or Goodyear

I know name brand tires are costly, prolly around 200 buxs a pop

Commercial Truck Tires work great

I put Michelin on my Mo-Home, with no problems for the last 50k miles and they where 400 buxs a pop

Maverick4me
07-01-2015, 10:32 PM
We went with Hercules tires. Not sure who makes them, but our local Tire Pros dealer said they were a really good high rated tire for trailers, and the price was right.

crazywatson
07-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks I'll have to look at the Hurcules.
I asked about the Goodyear trailer tire before and they said it was just as bad at the tire shop. What tires do you have Ed?

johnnycat8
07-03-2015, 04:16 PM
I'm going to change the tires on my hauler before Idaho. I want the best tires money can buy. My trailer came with China bombs and there close to e years old. I'm real lucky so far. After seeing Russell's trailer side get destroyed it reminded me of the time the same thing happened to me on China bombs less then a year old. So should I go with truck tires, better trailer tires or what?

The thing that worries me about truck tires is some told me trailer tires are designed to slide when you turn because there dual axle. I'm not sure about that? So what's the creme de la creme of trailer tires?

yep trailer side walls are made differant i know many on here run truck tires but just the fact that insurance companys wont cover you if running truck tires and you can also get sited for it.... their is many sites to look at but im not going to start a flame war.

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 09:49 PM
I went with BFG commercial TA's on my current trailer. They are a LT tire.
If I was going to get a ST tire, I would go with Maxxis. Had them on my previous hauler and never had a problem.
Went with the LT because of all the good things I read about them. ST tires also have a lower speed rating, like 60mph or something like that. I regularly tow around 70mph or more on long trips.

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 09:56 PM
JC's right....2 things that start a pissin match on forums...which tire to get for the trailer and truck towing capacities!

crazywatson
07-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Next I'll start a who's turbo is best thread.

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Leo's leaf blower?

crazywatson
07-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Lol

johnnycat8
07-04-2015, 05:40 PM
JC's right....2 things that start a pissin match on forums...which tire to get for the trailer and truck towing capacities!

Next I'll start a who's turbo is best thread.

aint that the truth..... i can add one thing i did research , looked at reviews on the Hercules trailer tires got all 4 and in less ths 300 miles first one blew a side wall...tire store wouldnt cover it... at 1,000 miles second sidewall goes out...same thing tire store wouldnt cover , then at 3,000 miles another side wal with same sorry cant cover it. sent a certified letter to the tire store owner and a copy to Hercules tire company with photos of trailer and tires and milage ....with no contact i got a check in the mail with a full refund and asked if i could take it to a diff store and they would replace all 4 with a new set for free. so i did it and years later i now have a tire with a side wall bubble. and they were the top rated tire back in 06 when i got them. oh i tow my 25ft trailer with my smart car it only takes 5 miles to get to 55 and 2 to stop no problem as long as your going down hill and dont need to stop. who needs a truck

Flash
07-05-2015, 07:32 PM
I put the Goodyear G614 tires on my trailer and have never looked back. The were spendy put don't feel I need to worry anymore.

G Billy
07-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Ran Hercules last time...lasted 3 years before the sun got the side walls..running master craft s now...

EPL
07-06-2015, 08:23 AM
On my trailer I went thru 8 china bombs before I finally change tires my tires to the Goodyear G614's. One good thing was I caught each one before they blew up. My problem was I had a hard time finding tires that were any good to fit my trailer because the axles re so close . On a trailer forum everyone for the most part said to use the XPS rib or the G614. What I found out was that the Goodyear G614 235/85/16 when mounted is the same size as the 235/80/16 China bombs . Yes good tires are not cheap but neither is repairing your trailer when a tires blows up .

LBR
07-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I'll have to check what our cargo trailer is running...a saving grace for us is the triple axle and weight is little less that 10,000#

crazywatson
07-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Yeah I had $2500 in damage last tire I blew. I've seen much worse though.

The Rattler (BLR)
07-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Was that on the new hauler or the old on Steve

crazywatson
07-06-2015, 04:03 PM
The old one. The new one has China bombs and I'm always on pins and needles. Last trailer we owned we blew 3 tires and I caught 1 before it blew. Everytime I stop now I inspect them all.

LBR
07-06-2015, 04:33 PM
I carry an infrared gun in the truck now thanx to my buddy Brodie Bettendorf's regime. We fuel every half tank on long trips and I shoot all tires and brake drums each time while stretching the legs and making people go..."WTF is he doing?!!"

Last year I found a drum/rim center 30* higher than the other 5 on a short haul, so watched it closely. When home, I pumped extra grease into it before our 2300 mile SoCal run early this year...all 6 were equal temps throughout the whole trip after more grease.

While this may not catch China bombs, it is respectable data for awareness IMO

crazywatson
07-06-2015, 04:59 PM
That's a good idea.

G Billy
07-06-2015, 11:06 PM
I can varify tire blow outs do major damage I'm direct repair for the majority of the large insurance carrier s and due three repairs a week just on bad tires..

Beach Leo
07-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Leo's leaf blower?lol...I know its the best

Dude
07-07-2015, 10:43 AM
I carry an infrared gun in the truck now thanx to my buddy Brodie Bettendorf's regime. We fuel every half tank on long trips and I shoot all tires and brake drums each time while stretching the legs and making people go..."WTF is he doing?!!"

Last year I found a drum/rim center 30* higher than the other 5 on a short haul, so watched it closely. When home, I pumped extra grease into it before our 2300 mile SoCal run early this year...all 6 were equal temps throughout the whole trip after more grease.

While this may not catch China bombs, it is respectable data for awareness IMO

That does make sense. catching something before it happens is always a good thought!