PDA

View Full Version : HeelClicker clutch kit

Turtle Tim
06-29-2015, 07:23 PM
Anybody have any knowledge on the Heelclicker clutch kit?
I have the SLP, and it takes time to get it dialed whenever I change elevation, which is often. Had a hard time getting it dialed at the recent invasion, but may have been some debris in my secondary. Broke it down and didnt see anything wrong with it, but might of had a small piece of debris in it cuz it ran great after I put it back together.
Anyways, I hear the Heelclicker is a nice setup. Doesn't sound like it needs adjusting for elevation? The manufacturer claims it squeezes the belt better than other kits, and reduces heat from slipping.
Anybody know anything about this kit?

Beach Leo
07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
I have heard its good however clutch cover will need spacer in some cases

Sent from my Dragon Touch M8 using Tapatalk

G Billy
07-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Im runninga dirty dawg...good luck so far

Turtle Tim
07-02-2015, 05:16 PM
I have heard its good however clutch cover will need spacer in some cases

Ya Leo, I guess if you have the '15 clutch cover (which I do) you have to use the spacer. Supposedly dont need the spacer for '14.

crazywatson
07-02-2015, 05:28 PM
How does it not need adjusting? Does it adjust itself some how?

Beach Leo
07-02-2015, 05:45 PM
How does it not need adjusting? Does it adjust itself some how?From what I have heard

It just grabs the belt real good to keep it from slipping, plus some have said the belt runs 20 degrees cooler

So if it really grabs it that good there may-be no-need to adjust it, but you can if you want to

Any-way I am still working on my leaf blower turbo...lol

crazywatson
07-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Lol the leaf blower will work I know it.
Grabbing the belt hard is good but the power of the engine at diffrent altitudes is definitely going to effect the way the clutch shifts.

Beach Leo
07-02-2015, 06:44 PM
On thing for certain that all need to know that have pro-star engine in-em

While working on Clutch or changing belt

Do-Not, I Repeat Do-Not Never Ever turn or spin than pro-star in wrong direction

You will be very sorry if you do

So make for certain while working on it that You Know For Certain which way your engine spins, or turn

I think they turn counter-clock wise

Make 100% certain that they do

Turtle Tim
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM
I found that out too Leo. I did turn my backwards several times while clutching. I just lucked out and didn't jump the timing chain. Will always turn counter clockwise from now on!

Turtle Tim
07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
How does it not need adjusting? Does it adjust itself some how?

I just read that they didn't need adjusting. They do have adjustment in them.
I agree Crazy, usually have to lighten the weights with altitude.
I'll try and find a pic and post it.

Turtle Tim
07-02-2015, 07:35 PM

Beach Leo
07-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Guess it was your Lucky turn Tim

Have heard of some who where Not and really damaged there engine in a big way

Its a real piss poor design in my book if you can-not turn engine in both direction with-out effing it all up

Guess if they did not have chain tensioner in em would not have that problem

May be a solid one would be the solution or better yet not have one at all

crazywatson
07-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Definitely a unique design I wish I knew more about them as do you Tim. I'm in the market to re clutch my xp4. Maybe my shit is to old though for this modern stuff.

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 09:46 AM
The reviews I've read say that it definitely pulls harder.

I will probably order one soon and give it a thorough test at Dunefest. I will let you know how well it works Steve.

crazywatson
07-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Right on!

johnnycat8
07-03-2015, 04:24 PM
here is my smart ass thought ... if it didnt ever need adjustment why is it made adjustable???? if so they could have a bunch set up and just install... and every clutch kit out their clames they grip the belt better than the rest and take off harder....lol to much grip can also be a bad thing just my 2 cents

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Not smart ass JC....logical. I agree, It should need adjustment for elevation.
I just want to find one that is easier to get set up. I ride from sea level to over 5k in elevation and want to make it simple as possible.

johnnycat8
07-03-2015, 05:28 PM
never tried their kits on rzr but worked great on my kawi kfx-700 i see some use it say its easy to adjust...

http://www.daltonindustries.com/products_polaris_clutchkits.asp

LBR
07-03-2015, 05:43 PM
I run the Dalton kit on 2 of the Rotaxes on stock primaries. They work good, but prolly something better out there.

More belt grip when needed is a great thing, but the other 90% of time when just cruising, it is clamping harder and creating unnecessary heat....next thing coming will either be computer controlled CVT or no rubber band to deal with. I highly endorse the later!

Turtle Tim
07-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Had the Dalton on my 900 and it was way easier to adjust than the SLP. The Dalton for the 1k wasn't available when I went to St. Anthony last yr, so I just stopped by SLP on my way there and picked up their kit.
The Heelclicker intrigues me, so I am going to give it a try.

johnnycat8
07-03-2015, 08:41 PM
I run the Dalton kit on 2 of the Rotaxes on stock primaries. They work good, but prolly something better out there.

More belt grip when needed is a great thing, but the other 90% of time when just cruising, it is clamping harder and creating unnecessary heat....next thing coming will either be computer controlled CVT or no rubber band to deal with. I highly endorse the later!

you know lance, honda...nissian...and a few others make cvt for many cars but it uses a metal belt in a oil bath

LBR
07-03-2015, 08:56 PM
you know lance, honda...nissian...and a few others make cvt for many cars but it uses a metal belt in a oil bath
Agreed JC8...no more rubber band is my preference. We're waithing, Yamaha!

johnnycat8
07-05-2015, 01:12 PM
0-28mph ish is the heel. 29-55ish is the middle, and 56-80ish is the toe. More weight is less rpm and less weight is more rpm. Add and subtract to hit 8200 rpm as quickly as possible. The quicker you get it there without hitting the limiter and hold it there... the faster you will accelerate.

Turtle Tim
07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Good info JC. Seen you post that before and is helpful for tuning

Fuzzy
07-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Anybody have one of these that does a bunch of crawling/ any feedback heel kicker from those that do...mine likes killing belts when trying to slow crawl up steep rocks/terrain.
Basically slipping cause of it trying to grab at 2500rpm or less with tons of load on some heavy tires...waiting for duraclutch to come.
Will the heavy weight on the heels make it engage and grab hard enough at such a low rpm?

Millerrg
07-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Here are a couple of pics of our new spacer for use with the HeelClicker Clutch Kit on models with the "high flow" cover, mainly the 2015

Turtle Tim
07-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Anybody have one of these that does a bunch of crawling/ any feedback heel kicker from those that do...mine likes killing belts when trying to slow crawl up steep rocks/terrain.
Basically slipping cause of it trying to grab at 2500rpm or less with tons of load on some heavy tires...waiting for duraclutch to come.
Will the heavy weight on the heels make it engage and grab hard enough at such a low rpm?

That is what I was reading, supposed to grip the belt tight and prevent slipping.

Ordered one today, and will give it a good test at Dunefest.
I spoke with Randy and his wife Cindy who own the company today. They are both engineers with experience in the automotive industry, and appeared to know what they are talking about. They have been doing clutching for snowmobiles for a while and just entered the SXS market.
If you are interested, give them a call and I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Turtle Tim
07-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Was going to install the HC kit today, and found a primary roller starting to flat spot.
Called the dealer to get replacements, and they said they no longer sell those parts and I would need to buy an entire clutch. Not happy as you can imagine!
Anyone know where I can get replacement primary rollers?

This is ridiculous that Polaris will not sell replacements for wearable parts. Greed!

crazywatson
07-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Yup I've been hearing that allot lately about buying a whole clutch. Such BS I think Alba Racing carries the parts. But I see on fb it looks like most of the crew is riding in Mexico. Probably be back on Monday or they have some unlucky soles that were left behind. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Turtle Tim
07-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Checking on if the 900 rollers are the same. If they are, the dealers will sell them separately. Hoping they are interchangable.
If anyone knows, please reply. I'm in a time crunch. Only have this next week to get it done before leaving for Dunefest.
Will check with Alba...thanks Crazy!

johnnycat8
07-18-2015, 03:47 PM
big kahuna was just on the jamborie in utah and one of the guys needed clutch parts and the dealer their had rollers.... i was shocked as all i hear is no parts just complete primary too....

johnnycat8
07-18-2015, 03:53 PM
just looked on polaris parts 2014 and 2015 1k they dont list part numbers for the rollers and buttons they do list 900 rollers but dont know if the same as 1k....

Turtle Tim
07-23-2015, 10:14 PM
I picked up some rollers for a 900 and they are the same as the XP1K. $30 apiece! Ridiculous!
Anyways, got them replaced and the Heelclicker installed. Will be at Winchester Saturday and try it out.
Was going to take pics of the kit as I was installing, but forgot.

Turtle Tim
07-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Here is a pic of the over with the spacer installed for clearance for the Heelclicker weights.

Beach Leo
07-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Looks Way-Good Tim

Looking forward to your Report on how good or bad it is

Turtle Tim
07-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Thanks Leo. I definitely will post how well this kit works.

Turtle Tim
07-26-2015, 09:46 PM
Not so good with the heelclicker. Rpm's all over the place. Looks like I damaged my primary. Heard some not so glowing reviews of this kit here in Winchester today.
Taking my primary

Turtle Tim
07-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Was saying that I'm taking my primary into Florence in the am to try and get it fixed.
Putting my slp kit back on after I get it fixed.

crazywatson
07-26-2015, 10:47 PM
What happened to the primary?

Turtle Tim
07-26-2015, 10:57 PM
The rollers were scarred up, not flat spotted. And the heelclicker flyweights have divots worn in them. Only about 30 miles on them. Appears the flyweights are made of a soft steel.
Not sure if the weights caused the problem or the rollers caused the wearing on the weights. I'm leaning towards the weights causing the problem.

crazywatson
07-26-2015, 11:02 PM
Damn, almost sounds like defective weights. I wonder if they missed a hardening process?

Turtle Tim
07-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Stars and Stripes said he talked to someone here today that said he knew of a couple guys that tried the heelclicker and had primary clutch problems. Didn't say what kind of problems though.

Beach Leo
07-27-2015, 01:18 PM
That really Sucks Tim

Kinda hoping for good report

Any-way hope you get it all worked out

May-be Like Steve said just not heated treaed right or someting like that

Call Randy see what he says is wrong

Turtle Tim
07-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Ya it does Leo. My fault for not waiting for this kit to be proven with time.
Got a message into randy. Not holding my breath for a reply.

johnnycat8
07-27-2015, 09:33 PM
i see lots of guys having the same issus you are... i saw the heelclicker guys responce to you all i thought was what a jerk....

Turtle Tim
07-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Lol...I agree. Did u see my response? He pissed me off!

motosx
07-29-2015, 02:12 AM
tim, glad you got it fixed with the SLP. ( and new primary). im with crazywatson think missed the heat treat process when made. he sold out the first batch, and the reviews from those seems good. maybe he was cutting corners to save a few bucks. this could bite him very big time when more people install second batch...mike

Beach Leo
07-29-2015, 11:10 PM
i see lots of guys having the same issus you are... i saw the heelclicker guys responce to you all i thought was what a jerk....Can you post it over here so we can see?

Never-mind I found it

Tim you where very nice I thought

Sounded to me like other guy was try to baffle you with bull-s$it

Any-way Johnny at utvinc was really impressed with the kit from what I read

and he does know his stuff I have a lotta respect for the guy since he won the Baha 1000

Steve was right you must have got a bad batch, makes since

Did he offer money back?

Turtle Tim
07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Yes. He offered my money back when I send the arms back

Turtle Tim
08-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Just got back home today.
Here is a couple pics of the carnage:

Turtle Tim
08-04-2015, 06:53 PM
After posting the above pics I noticed a wear spot on the spider just below the roller. Didnt notice it at the dunes. Just went out and checked the arms, and sure enough, there were wear marks on the head of the weight screw where it was hanging up on the spider. Two of the flyweights were doing this. I loaded up the what Heelclicker told me to load on the arm.
Thinking this is what destroyed my primary.
Still think they used soft steel for the flyweights.
I ran my SLP on flat spotted rollers for a while and the flyweights did not show any wear on them, but these wore out in about 20 miles.

Beach Leo
08-04-2015, 10:43 PM
Yep Guess Crazy was right

Non Harden Steel

Or that china made steel

So what Damage or do you have to replace on Clutch to get her back to new condition?

Turtle Tim
08-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Replaced the primary with a brand new one at Dunefest. The rollers and pins were destroyed. Might be able to rebuild the old one and have it as a spare.

Beach Leo
08-05-2015, 09:37 PM
That is a Hard Lesson

Really Sucks you had to buy new primary Tim