PDA

View Full Version : Group ride "do's and don'ts" basic trail Etiquette

Ajb9
01-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Ok for the majority of us this is commonly known but occasionally on a group ride i'm not convinced that one or two has a clue... so I thought we could come up with a list that we could reference. What suggestions for "Do's and Don'ts" would you suggest for the new rider or the invited non members?
We all know that a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way but maybe if we talk about it maybe things will go a little smoother! Here are some of my idea's feel free to add....
Doo's...
There are plenty of Trail Etiquette links on the internet. Here is one that I found that covers some of the Basics https://www.drivingline.com/articles/off-road-basics-trail-etiquette/
1. Come prepared:
Have the right gear for any anticipated weather, flat tire, tow straps, water, food and a first aid kit ect...
2. Keep sight of or track of the rider in front and behind you:
Wait in the turns for the person behind and make sure he sees you. If he doesn't show in a reasonable amount of time radio the person ahead if possible and go back to where you last saw them. If there is a intersection or side trail stay straight on the well traveled trail or look for the tracks in the ground. If there is a turn you need to take someone will be waiting for you if you are still confused stay put so you can be easily found.
3.Be courteous of oncoming traffic know who has the right away:
Slow down or stop for all pedestrians, bicycles, animals and horses don't dust them out and make sure they see you. Signal the oncoming vehicle on how many they can expect behind you by holding up that many fingers and a fist lets them know your last. The person on the hill coming down has the right away!
4.Pull over to stop on the trail:
If you have to stop for any reason pull off the trail. The person behind you may not see you. especially in a turn or top of a hill.
5.Know where you are going and a general idea of where you are:
Carry a map of the area or a gps app for your phone is an inexpensive way to know where you are. I use GAIA gps app the basic is about $20 and works w/o cell service but there are plenty to chose from. also 611 and 911 are suppose to work without cell service.
6. leave no man behind:
if you started out with the group we have no intention of leaving you in the back woods to fend for yourself so don't just leave the group with out telling someone.

Dont's..... come on I'm sure everyone has a few...
1. Don't be a slacker...
We all have a certain amount of investment to be on the ride we all want to get in the great outdoors and enjoy...not sit in a traffic jam for no good reason. If someone doesn't show up or keep a moderate pace there needs to be a good reason. Excluding mechanical problem, break down, bathroom or medical issues. If the trail or conditions are a little to hairy for you but Trying... most of us would help you out spot the obstacles or give you some pointers. But creeping along at a snails pace because you won't clean your windshield to see because you might scratch it, don't want your soda to spill, cant keep the kids or dog from jumping out.. what ever! inadvertently you are holding the rest of the group Hostage! This could mean that the group ride is cut short or finish in the allotted time the leader has set aside. Most of us are patient to a certain amount of this but we all have our limits.
2. invitees, friends and ride alongs...
They are Your responsibility ... Let them know whats expected of them and know there experience level before you bring them on a group ride.... Don't expect someone else in the group to babysit them.
3. Show up at the designated start time ready to go...
Occasionally things can happen understandable. just make an attempt to call and let someone know.
4. Don't purposely hyjack or scatter someones ride...
You need to follow the person in front of you. If you take off up a hill because you think it would be cool to climb or want to see whats down that side trail. Chances are the people behind you will follow and you just turned our group ride into a search party. The guy that posts the ride.. Its their ride if you have something to contribute talk it over with them or let them know you have decided to go your own way!

EPL
01-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Sounds like good "do's and don'ts" to go by !!

Jeepalive
01-10-2018, 01:39 PM
One thing I would add but don’t want to be there guy, have a good radio in the front and a good radio in the back, I know this last weekend we could not talk with people in the back to know what was going on, we lost I think 4 people 5 miles in because they didn’t have a radio with them.

stetson
01-10-2018, 02:26 PM
Ok for the majority of us this is commonly known but occasionally on a group ride i'm not convinced that one or two has a clue... so I thought we could come up with a list that we could reference. What suggestions for "Do's and Don'ts" would you suggest for the new rider or the invited non members?
We all know that a little common sense and courtesy goes a long way but maybe if we talk about it maybe things will go a little smoother! Here are some of my idea's feel free to add....
Doo's...
There are plenty of Trail Etiquette links on the internet. Here is one that I found that covers some of the Basics https://www.drivingline.com/articles/off-road-basics-trail-etiquette/
1. Come prepared:
Have the right gear for any anticipated weather, flat tire, tow straps, water, food and a first aid kit ect...
Wait in the turns for the person behind and make sure he sees you. If he doesn't show in a reasonable amount of time radio the person ahead if possible and go back to where you last saw them. If there is a intersection or side trail stay straight on the well traveled trail or look for the tracks in the ground. If there is a turn you need to take someone will be waiting for you if you are still confused stay put so you can be easily found.
Slow down or stop for all pedestrians, bicycles, animals and horses don't dust them out and make sure they see you. Signal the oncoming vehicle on how many they can expect behind you by holding up that many fingers and a fist lets them know your last. The person on the hill coming down has the right away!
If you have to stop for any reason pull off the trail. The person behind you may not see you. especially in a turn or top of a hill.
Carry a map of the area or a gps app for your phone is an inexpensive way to know where you are. I use GAIA gps app the basic is about $20 and works w/o cell service but there are plenty to chose from. also 611 and 911 are suppose to work without cell service.
6. leave no man behind:
if you started out with the group we have no intention of leaving you in the back woods to fend for yourself so don't just leave the group with out telling someone.

1. Don't be a slacker...
We all have a certain amount of investment to be on the ride we all want to get in the great outdoors and enjoy...not sit in a traffic jam for no good reason. If someone doesn't show up or keep a moderate pace there needs to be a good reason. Excluding mechanical problem, break down, bathroom or medical issues. If the trail or conditions are a little to hairy for you but Trying... most of us would help you out spot the obstacles or give you some pointers. But creeping along at a snails pace because you won't clean your windshield to see because you might scratch it, don't want your soda to spill, cant keep the kids or dog from jumping out.. what ever! inadvertently you are holding the rest of the group Hostage! This could mean that the group ride is cut short or finish in the allotted time the leader has set aside. Most of us are patient to a certain amount of this but we all have our limits.
They are Your responsibility ... Let them know whats expected of them and know there experience level before you bring them on a group ride.... Don't expect someone else in the group to babysit them.
Occasionally things can happen understandable. just make an attempt to call and let someone know.
You need to follow the person in front of you. If you take off up a hill because you think it would be cool to climb or want to see whats down that side trail. Chances are the people behind you will follow and you just turned our group ride into a search party. The guy that posts the ride.. Its their ride if you have something to contribute talk it over with them or let them know you have decided to go your own way!

Sounds like good trail smarts :cool:

Ajb9
01-10-2018, 03:31 PM
One thing I would add but don’t want to be there guy, have a good radio in the front and a good radio in the back, I know this last weekend we could not talk with people in the back to know what was going on, we lost I think 4 people 5 miles in because they didn’t have a radio with them.
Agreed.. honestly a handheld is only $58 on sale at rugged. There really shouldn’t be an excuse not to have one!

Mike621
01-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Last ride my brand new supposedly Rugged Radio wouldn’t broadcast 5 miles into the ride, then mysteriously started working 5 miles from the end.
Another don’t, and I know this is hard to do, is for whoever is leading the ride to not turn it into a race, this is very hard to do when your having fun, and know we’re your going, sometimes when I’m leading a ride I have to remember that some people never been here before.
Maybe on ready big groups say over 20 cars we could have two groups, or if whoever is planning a ride could limit the group to whatever they think would be the right size group for the ride, some of the group I ride motorcycles with do it that way.

Scrat
01-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Agreed.. honestly a handheld is only $58 on sale at rugged. There really shouldn’t be an excuse not to have one!

I think my RR was one of the best things I have purchased for my rzr . It is always good to hear what is going on .

Kbachell
01-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Doo's...
1. Come prepared:
6. leave no man behind:

1. Don't be a slacker...

Very well done, Alan. I have headed up many offroad trips, and you'd be surprised how many "newbies" I had to school on how to be prepared... They could not understand why I insisted on a sweatshirt and jacket, in August at Rubicon... that is until they got up there! I also like the comment about holding the ride hostage when a participant decides to maintain a slower pace than the rest of the group; it can become a frustrating Tug-a-war game trying to keep up with the person in front of you, while stopping periodically to avoid losing the slower paced person behind. I forget, sometimes, that not everyone has been offroading like some of us have all of our life so it is good to review these not necessarily common "common sense" rules. Thanks for taking the time!

Sweet34
01-10-2018, 06:51 PM
I need to show this list to the people I ride with .

gridman
01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
This needs to be added to all SXS just like the warning stickers LOL

Ajb9
01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Last ride my brand new supposedly Rugged Radio wouldn’t broadcast 5 miles into the ride, then mysteriously started working 5 miles from the end.
Another don’t, and I know this is hard to do, is for whoever is leading the ride to not turn it into a race, this is very hard to do when your having fun, and know we’re your going, sometimes when I’m leading a ride I have to remember that some people never been here before.
Maybe on ready big groups say over 20 cars we could have two groups, or if whoever is planning a ride could limit the group to whatever they think would be the right size group for the ride, some of the group I ride motorcycles with do it that way. I have a ghost short in my radio that works perfect at home but not on the trail too... as for driving too fast my runs are only as fast as Barry decides to go and he usually keeps up with me no problem... I split the ride a couple of times at Bridgeport last year by sharing my GPS track with Pipelayer and it worked out good... its not a bad idea. With the use of the radios and a couple of guys that know the area or has the same gps track its something I will try again.

EPL
01-10-2018, 07:36 PM
This needs to be added to all SXS just like the warning stickers LOL:):)

AlfaBaz
01-10-2018, 10:29 PM
I have a ghost short in my radio that works perfect at home but not on the trail too... as for driving too fast my runs are only as fast as Barry decides to go and he usually keeps up with me no problem... I split the ride a couple of times at Bridgeport last year by sharing my GPS track with Pipelayer and it worked out good... its not a bad idea. With the use of the radios and a couple of guys that know the area or has the same gps track its something I will try again.

Well, I wondered how long it would be until someone threw me under the bus!! Just kidding, Alan. I can keep up with most- for a few minutes. But I quickly get tired of having to put that much concentration into the trail; I want to look around. And relax. And I know there are a few guys I ride with a lot that can run at my absolute fastest pace and still look around and enjoy the sights! I'm just not that good.

If it is a large group, there will be "lost" riders. It's inevitable- unless every, single driver knows they are responsible for the guy behind them (the guy in front of them means nothing!!). I seldom go more than a quarter mile without eyeballing the guy behind me (that's why LIGHTS ON is important). I also think radios create a false sense of security. "Right turn at the green bush" often does more harm than good. I've been on rides, with constant radio contact, where folks somehow still end up miles apart!

Everyone has a different concept of "fast". I know there are many in this group that don't think 50-60 is fast. My opinion only- if you don't want to ride at the pace of the slowest rider, you should indicate in the sign-up that it will be a high speed ride. Communication is paramount!

Pipelayer
01-11-2018, 02:05 AM
Great job Alan, I think everyone should read this. I think a pre ride meeting is also helpful, let everyone know what is expected and refresh peoples memory of what’s expected and no, I don’t think you lead too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michale
01-11-2018, 08:29 AM
Just a simple line or 2 in the original signup post stating this is going to be "fast pace or slow pace" ride or levels of how extreme the ride it going to be. 1 to 10 or better bring a change of skivvies, your going to need them. Something. It could help others decide if they want to go on that ride.

Ajb9
01-11-2018, 09:21 AM
thanks for the input guys.. bringing up some of these issues maybe we can hopefully avoid them on the trail... at the very least know how to handle them when they do...
I guess a better assessment of the audience before the ride starts and planning an alternate shorter route back for some.. IDK! I personally like longer rides and coming back with an empty tank. I forget that some that have signed up are not up for such an excursion! Perhaps if more of us had the same gps app on their phone we could share the track. If a few wanted to turn back or even be self guided others would know about where they should be. Splitting the ride helps. Seems like some of these rides get to be such a chore for the ride leader they don't even want to post them!
RT on Barry, I admit I have been confused by a turn called out on the radio wondering what their talking about! also been looking at a new turbo so 50-60mph most likely won't do it for me anymore.

EPL
01-11-2018, 12:41 PM
thanks for the input guys.. bringing up some of these issues maybe we can hopefully avoid them on the trail... at the very least know how to handle them when they do...
I guess a better assessment of the audience before the ride starts and planning an alternate shorter route back for some.. IDK! I personally like longer rides and coming back with an empty tank. I forget that some that have signed up are not up for such an excursion! Perhaps if more of us had the same gps app on their phone we could share the track. If a few wanted to turn back or even be self guided others would know about where they should be. Splitting the ride helps. Seems like some of these rides get to be such a chore for the ride leader they don't even want to post them!
RT on Barry, I admit I have been confused by a turn called out on the radio wondering what their talking about! also been looking at a new turbo so 50-60mph most likely won't do it for me anymore.

You know me Alan if the ride isn't 100 miles it's not a ride !! LOL I don't agree with splitting the ride up is going to solve anything , a ride is a ride . I think part of the problem is most of the people that sigh up for a ride have probably already been in that area and know what to expect . I think by posting that a ride is going to be difficult or fast is just going scare people away but how many miles would be fine . I think the best thing for people that are thinking about going on a specific ride is to do like some did before the last one and ask questions about the ride before hand .

Pipelayer
01-11-2018, 07:08 PM
You know me Alan if the ride isn't 100 miles it's not a ride !! LOL I don't agree with splitting the ride up is going to solve anything , a ride is a ride . I think part of the problem is most of the people that sigh up for a ride have probably already been in that area and know what to expect . I think by posting that a ride is going to be difficult or fast is just going scare people away but how many miles would be fine . I think the best thing for people that are thinking about going on a specific ride is to do like some did before the last one and ask questions about the ride before hand .

I agree. I’m gonna put it out there right now, I you didn’t like my last ride, you definitely won’t like the next one.. lol

66Elco
01-11-2018, 07:16 PM
I agree. I’m gonna put it out there right now, I you didn’t like my last ride, you definitely won’t like the next one.. lol

Sounds fun!!

EPL
01-11-2018, 07:33 PM

It should be another awesome ride just like the last one !!

Jeepalive
01-11-2018, 08:07 PM

I know whenever I tell people from the Facebook page about the rides you put on I try making it known there will be rock crawling and fast pace, after the first one last year with 30+ and quads stopping all the time, I now make it known what it’s going to be like.

EPL
01-11-2018, 08:14 PM
I know whenever I tell people from the Facebook page about the rides you put on I try making it known there will be rock crawling and fast pace, after the first one last year with 30+ and quads stopping all the time, I now make it known what it’s going to be like.

I don't think we go at a real fast pace , just steady and don't worry about dust or mud !!

Jeepalive
01-11-2018, 08:29 PM
I don't think we go at a real fast pace , just steady and don't worry about dust or mud !!

I don’t believe we go at a fast pace either but to some 20 is to fast it seems

Mike621
01-11-2018, 09:23 PM
The pace was fine , the second loop everybody helped get everybody through all the mishaps, just the way we always do. [emoji1417]

AlfaBaz
01-11-2018, 09:35 PM
I don’t believe we go at a fast pace either but to some 20 is to fast it seems

My General hits the rev limiter at 62, and I have been on lots of rides that had sections where I couldn't keep up.

The Rattler (BLR)
01-12-2018, 06:38 AM
1 more thing that help out especially if in the back of the group.

Know the name of the person infront of you and behind you.. call them by name..
George left turn at the Y, George right turn at the downed tree.. that way if the front ones are so far out making another turn at a Y you may have the wrong Y and off the trail you go to unwanted territory and end up in PICKLE.

Also we have done this with another group, especially if it happens to be a fire road (faster speeds for awhile) the leader calls out I'm going to be doing 45mph or what ever number.. this let's everyone know how to adjust their speed to keep everything flowing smoothly.

And the last one is for anyone leading a ride.. especially on dusty rides..
Don't think everyone can do the same speed as you and maybe the 1st 5 in the line. With each car the dust gets thicker, so the cars towards the back get more dust and not able to see as well... Sometimes since I bring the back up on the rides we participate in we may never get over 10 mph..

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

EPL
01-12-2018, 06:56 AM
The pace was fine , the second loop everybody helped get everybody through all the mishaps, just the way we always do. [emoji1417]

And we had more mishaps then normal !!

Pipelayer
01-12-2018, 07:18 AM
And we had more mishaps then normal !!

Given all of the mishaps, I think it was fun helping each other get through it

Ajb9
01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Good suggestions Barb, Thanks

Mike621
01-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Given all of the mishaps, I think it was fun helping each other get through it

Agree it was fun [emoji1417][emoji41]

stetson
01-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Having ridden now several times with both Alan & Jeff I must say they put in a lot of time and effort into making each ride a good experience for all who participate.
That being said, if you are not sure of your abilities or the difficulty of a ride, just ask about the ride. Communicate, communicate, communicate. :cool:

66Elco
01-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Having ridden now several times with both Alan & Jeff I must say they put in a lot of time and effort into making each ride a good experience for all who participate.
That being said, if you are not sure of your abilities or the difficulty of a ride, just ask about the ride. Communicate, communicate, communicate. :cool:

[emoji106]

Kbachell
01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
I just showed this thread to a long-time 4 wheeling buddy and he reminded me that I have to completely different speeds... One when I am by myself, and a much slower pace when my wife rides along... for some reason my right shoulder always gets bruised when I get sideways on the corners, with her riding shotgun...

DLFoust
01-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Thank you for posting all this information , I think many good points have been made .