PDA

View Full Version : Radios

lainracing
11-03-2017, 10:02 PM
Looking to get a radio to be able to communicate with everyone what's the best bang of the buck ? Don't need anything fancy and like wearing my helmets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike621
11-03-2017, 10:10 PM
I have a 50watt that works fine, but if I was going to buy one right now I would get the 60watt Rugged radio, then you got to decide if you want the Bluetooth with helmet headphones kits, that’s where it starts getting expensive, right now I get buy with just the radio with mic, but I would like to upgrade to Bluetooth helmet kit.

The Rattler (BLR)
11-03-2017, 11:11 PM
LBR and I have Bluetooth. We can listen to our Heavy Metal and not intrude on others Classical. Lol

Sent from BLR Logistics

Maverick4me
11-04-2017, 08:04 AM
Looking to get a radio to be able to communicate with everyone what's the best bang of the buck ? Don't need anything fancy and like wearing my helmets.

Your cost options really effect the range of your radio. If you just want to talk with the group in the 1 mile range, you can get my with a handheld setup. Then the 25, 50, 60, watt setups extend the range and can offer more permanent mounting options. I am a dealer for Rugged as well as PCI. Let me know if I can help. I will throw in a free helmet kit ($99) with your purchase as well, regardless of what option you choose. Later, Don

UTV Mods 4 U
www.utvmods4u.com
541-733-8887

Yellow Toy
11-04-2017, 08:33 AM

I have had a 50watt and a 60watt , I would recommend a 60watt . I think a hand held is better the nothing but the 50 or 60 watt are the best way to go , on many of our rides we get strung out for miles and we have had a few people with hand held radios near the rear and we couldn't hear them when they had problems .

EPL
11-04-2017, 08:40 AM
I have a 50watt that works fine, but if I was going to buy one right now I would get the 60watt Rugged radio, then you got to decide if you want the Bluetooth with helmet headphones kits, that’s where it starts getting expensive, right now I get buy with just the radio with mic, but I would like to upgrade to Bluetooth helmet kit.

I have both and like the 60 watt better !! I think it is even cost less then the 50 watt !!

EPL
11-04-2017, 08:41 AM
I have had a 50watt and a 60watt , I would recommend a 60watt . I think a hand held is better the nothing but the 50 or 60 watt are the best way to go , on many of our rides we get strung out for miles and we have had a few people with hand held radios near the rear and we couldn't hear them when they had problems .

We have also experienced the same problem with the hand helds !!

EPL
11-04-2017, 08:43 AM

The good part is that it's just plug and play as you get more options !!

Mike621
11-04-2017, 08:44 AM
I have both and like the 60 watt better !! I think it is even cost less then the 50 watt !!

I've seen some good deals from Rugged on 60watt systems, I'm thinking of getting a 60watt , and installing my 50watt in my trailer as a base station, for me reason is I can mount the 60 watt in my dash, but not the 50

EPL
11-04-2017, 08:54 AM
I've seen some good deals from Rugged on 60watt systems, I'm thinking of getting a 60watt , and installing my 50watt in my trailer as a base station, for me reason is I can mount the 60 watt in my dash, but not the 50

We just saw a guy at Sand Mountain that use the I pad mount on X3 and a universal radio mount and mounted the radio up there . I know the mount they make for the X3 kind of sucks to get to !!

Mike621
11-04-2017, 09:05 AM
We just saw a guy at Sand Mountain that use the I pad mount on X3 and a universal radio mount and mounted the radio up there . I know the mount they make for the X3 kind of sucks to get to !!

It would be better if I had the Bluetooth and helmet: headphone kit so I could hear it better, I’ve seen that setup your talking about too, looks good I just don’t have a tablet yet.

lainracing
11-04-2017, 10:21 AM
I have a Bluetooth helmet will the Bluetooth rugged radio adapter that helmet or do I need to buy the whole kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike621
11-04-2017, 11:09 AM
I have a Bluetooth helmet will the Bluetooth rugged radio adapter that helmet or do I need to buy the whole kit

I don't know if the Bilt helmet would work with the radio! Would be cool though, last time I was out, hit about a 3' jump , and the fire extinguisher came loose from the cage and hit me in the back of the head,[emoji43] broke my helmet, so now got to get a new one, if it does work I would buy another one of those.

lainracing
11-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I'll have to research

EPL
11-04-2017, 02:33 PM
We for the post part don't wear helmets but there is a couple of places we have to wear them so we are going to get the "Simpson OTW Shorty Helmet" so we can still use our headsets !!

https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=368&products_id=1961

lainracing
11-04-2017, 05:34 PM
That's a thought

drtfun
11-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I am also thinking about a 60watt radio before going to quartzite. I am thinking this one RM-60 VHF 60-Watt Car-to-Car Kit. Don what is the cost of this set up?

Ajb9
11-04-2017, 08:19 PM
honestly I am going on my 3rd shorted out radio and now have to replace a ppt that I just replaced...I think thats the problem'...so when ever I have radio issues I always go back to the hand held with a helmet kit... it seems to be the most reliable and can hook it to my belt. so no need to unhook stuff to get in and out. worked great on my snowmobile... yea the reach isn't the best but not bad with the upgrade antenna and I can hear just about everyone. Something like that would be a good place to start Bob, it will always be an inexpensive extra buddy radio should you ever upgrade.

lainracing
11-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Thanks Alan

lainracing
11-05-2017, 08:57 AM
I think I'm going to wait and see what deals rugged radio put out for the holidays. Still have my hand held for now

EPL
11-05-2017, 10:56 AM
I think I'm going to wait and see what deals rugged radio put out for the holidays. Still have my hand held for now

Sounds like a good plan !!

lainracing
11-05-2017, 12:02 PM
I think so

Maverick4me
11-05-2017, 12:17 PM
I will meet any advertised price on any Rugged Radio deal for any forum member!

lainracing
11-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks Don I'll get a hold of you soon

Rugged Radios
11-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Late to the party! The RM-60 60-Watt is definitely our most popular radio.
If you don't require Bluetooth (music and cellphone), you can go with the RRP660 ($399.00) intercom over the RRP660 Plus ($599.00).

Remember that Black Friday is coming soon and you'll be able to save hundreds off retail for a full system.

We honor a 3-year product warranty from any of our dealers as well after registering your products here (https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=284).

Lenmann
11-06-2017, 07:03 PM
I have a lightly used RRP660 Intercom I will sell for $200 (half price). It has RR's older bluetooth adapter if you want to play music but lacks the amplifier that the new RRP660 Plus has so the music isn't very loud in a helmet at speed. It's probably fine if you go with headsets.