PDA

View Full Version : Newb question!! Sorry in advance!

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Im looking at getting into my first XP4 Turbo (i think!) and I am just curious what everybody is getting out of their engine life, mileage/hour wise. Im coming from the 2 stroke world, so just trying to get an idea of what to look for in a used ride!!

I fully understand the vast possibilities of variables involved, so this is a very general, ball park type of figure I am looking for!

Any positive, productive feedback and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Are you going to be using this car mostly for the sand or the dirt?
If you're just going to be a Trail guy forget the turbo too many inconsistencies in those cars they're kind of all over the board I know a lot of people that have them and some have absolutely no issues and others have nothing but issues, I work on these cars daily and have seen it all

RSR Performance

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 02:37 PM
Are you going to be using this car mostly for the sand or the dirt?
If you're just going to be a Trail guy forget the turbo too many inconsistencies in those cars they're kind of all over the board I know a lot of people that have them and some have absolutely no issues and others have nothing but issues, I work on these cars daily and have seen it all

RSR Performance

Mostly the backcountry trails. I live at a decent elevation, and tubo's usually help quite a bit, at least on the sleds we ride. Not much sand around me so prob wont do too much of that, just gonna be playing in the mountains of Tahoe mostly!

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 02:39 PM
If it were me I would do a non turbo and install a clutch kit and call it good

RSR Performance

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 02:45 PM
If it were me I would do a non turbo and install a clutch kit and call it good

RSR Performance

Im certainly open to the idea!! Having no first hand knowledge of these machines, I just assumed, (from my two stroke sled background) that it would be a big help at altitude! So suggestions such as yours, based on real working knowledge, are tremendously appreciated!!

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Sleds are like SxS in the sand,they need all the HP they can get to accelerate up the hills.

But being on the trails realistically you can only go so fast and XP 1000 on turbos have plenty of power for any of the trails you're going to be riding on..

Hope the info helps👍

RSR Performance

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Sleds are like SxS in the sand,they need all the HP they can get to accelerate up the hills.

But being on the trails realistically you can only go so fast and XP 1000 on turbos have plenty of power for any of the trails you're going to be riding on..

Hope the info helps��

RSR Performance

Great point!! Thanks for the tips!!

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Hope the info helps��

RSR Performance

Any advice on the 800 or 900's? Are they worth the lower price point for where I will be riding a majority of the time? At least for starters?

AlfaBaz
03-30-2017, 04:46 PM
Any advice on the 800 or 900's? Are they worth the lower price point for where I will be riding a majority of the time? At least for starters?

Can't beat a General on trails!

CHbeer
03-30-2017, 05:49 PM
2290 this is I did to a 900 Trail with the ext money i saved and did this to it and I have no problem doing the Rubicon and never got stuck yet

Mike621
03-30-2017, 05:57 PM
I have a 2016 Can Am maverick turbo 2 seater, I ride up around Truckee in the Sierra's, and Redding/ Shasta County. When trail riding in the mountains I leave mine 99.9% of the time in Eco mode, Sports mode is just unridable for trail riding, if I go to the open desert I can put it in Sports mode and feel the difference, there I probably run 60% sports mode only because I can, the turbo really doesn't do me any good, If I were buying a new machine right now, if you go X3 Can Am you have to get a turbo, if you look at the RZR's you can get a NA 1000 XP, and there are some great deals to be had on those right.
If you are looking for a used machine there are lots of RZR out there , my personal experience of owning the 16' Can Am for about a year and a half now, I would not recommend them to anyone, just to hard to work on with the motor between the seats IMO, I like the way it rides and handles when out on the trails, but it gets frustrating when working in the garage.
Good luck hope to see ya out on the trail soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 07:08 PM
There's nothing wrong with the 800 or 900's and for the price you can't go wrong, as long as you find a clean one,it's a lil smaller than the new ones.
As for the aftermarket world they're making less parts for them as all the new cars are coming out but then again ask yourself how serious do you want to get with it.

If you like I can help you with it, whatever car you find forward the information to me I'll look it over and even go as far as talk to the owner of a car to help make sure you get a nice clean car.

RSR Performance

The Rattler (BLR)
03-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Giving my 1+Cents.. doesn't matter what you buy.. Both Can Am and POO POO are good.. NA VS Turbo.. Buy what you think and works the best for you.. We all have our preferences.. I'm the political correct one..lol

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 08:41 PM
Giving my 1+Cents.. doesn't matter what you buy.. Both Can Am and POO POO are good.. NA VS Turbo.. Buy what you think and works the best for you.. We all have our preferences.. I'm the political correct one..lol

hahaha :D

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 08:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with the 800 or 900's and for the price you can't go wrong, as long as you find a clean one,it's a lil smaller than the new ones.
As for the aftermarket world they're making less parts for them as all the new cars are coming out but then again ask yourself how serious do you want to get with it.

If you like I can help you with it, whatever car you find forward the information to me I'll look it over and even go as far as talk to the owner of a car to help make sure you get a nice clean car.

RSR Performance

That would be a tremendous help!! I did find a 15 xp4 1k today that I am interested in, smoking deal. Only 98 miles..

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 08:44 PM
That would be a tremendous help!! I did find a 15 xp4 1k today that I am interested in, smoking deal. Only 98 miles..
Well if it only has 98 miles on it, should be pretty clean but if you like forward me the info and I'll check it out

RSR Performance

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 09:17 PM
I have a 2016 Can Am maverick turbo 2 seater, I ride up around Truckee in the Sierra's, and Redding/ Shasta County. When trail riding in the mountains I leave mine 99.9% of the time in Eco mode, Sports mode is just unridable for trail riding, if I go to the open desert I can put it in Sports mode and feel the difference, there I probably run 60% sports mode only because I can, the turbo really doesn't do me any good, If I were buying a new machine right now, if you go X3 Can Am you have to get a turbo, if you look at the RZR's you can get a NA 1000 XP, and there are some great deals to be had on those right.
If you are looking for a used machine there are lots of RZR out there , my personal experience of owning the 16' Can Am for about a year and a half now, I would not recommend them to anyone, just to hard to work on with the motor between the seats IMO, I like the way it rides and handles when out on the trails, but it gets frustrating when working in the garage.
Good luck hope to see ya out on the trail soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! We will have to link up when I pick up a ride! I'll need to some people to ride with!!

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Well if it only has 98 miles on it, should be pretty clean but if you like forward me the info and I'll check it out

RSR Performance

Ill send ya a PM!

flyin_jibbs
03-30-2017, 09:23 PM

RSR Performance

You profile will not accept the PM, says you have exceeded your limit of stored messages ha!

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Hang tight let me go in erase some

RSR Performance

Controlled Force
03-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Ok done

RSR Performance

Mike621
03-31-2017, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the reply! We will have to link up when I pick up a ride! I'll need to some people to ride with!!

[emoji1417] sounds good, now we just need some of the snow to melt off [emoji6]