PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes

DiscoBayJoe
03-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Hey All!

I'm looking for feedback on where I should go to stay for my first trip to the Oregon Dunes. For Dunes Trips i've always gone south to Pismo, but most of my camping family is around Medford so we'll get a bigger group heading to the Oregon Dunes.

I prefer camping in Dirt/Sand than on Pavement. I have no problem typically getting my Class-C Funmover RV right out onto the beach in pismo (I just air down), but it's not a 4WD. The other guys who will be going with me have 5th wheels and 4wd trucks. I can go 3-4 days without hookups. I want to be able to ride into the dunes direct from camp, as my RV won't move once I setup camp.

I understand there are some liquor restrictions in certain areas up there. I don't mind not having beer in the CanAm on the beach, but I want to be able to drink a few beers in camp for sure, and ideally have a campfire. From what I saw I couldn't tell if some campgrounds are "dry".

Lastly, there is a UTV Takover event happening at a place called Boxcar the same weekend we want to go (Father's Day). Looks like that event is sold out for camping and we wouldn't want to camp right in the middle of a major event anyhow, but we'd want to camp somewhere where we could dune over and check it out. I understand there are different areas of the dunes that arn't all connected (north vs south?)

Anyhow - with all of that, any suggestions on where i'd enjoy camping the best?

Sweet34
03-25-2017, 09:38 AM
I like Riley Ranch but that is the only place I have been up there .

Seekhimfirst12
03-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Riley Ranch is great, water & electric hookups & awesome showers/bathrooms. They take reservations online but does fill up quickly. Each campsite has firepits & surrounded by trees. The only pavement is the road. As for the UTV Takeover - most camping is already taken. We did get a spot at Myrtlewood Factory but it's camping on pavement. It does have dune access. You may try giving them a call. We live outside Medford in Jacksonville. Hope to ride together sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drtfun
03-25-2017, 03:37 PM
Riley Ranch has no sewer hookup or dump station kind of the only negative about the place

A little ghetto but discovery point in Winchester bay is not bad either, real close to the dunes

LBR
03-25-2017, 04:05 PM
KOA just down the road from Myrtlewood factory has hookups and you can ride into the sand for your UTV Invasion event. It was just bought out by Steve's ATV Rentals last year.

Sandfreak
03-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Liquor is allowed in all the designated camp grounds just not out on the sand. This late in the game Myrtlewood factory or KOA might have a couple spots left. If not you might have to settle for Florence or Winchester. Winchester doesn't allow ohv beach access though if thats important but it does have the tallest dunes.

DiscoBayJoe
03-26-2017, 11:00 AM
That's crazy this is considered late in the game! I'm lucky if I decide to go camping 3 days before a trip!

I don't want to get into the wet sand

AlfaBaz
03-26-2017, 11:07 AM
We love Riley Ranch, but to reserve a campsite there you have to be a little bit lucky. They will let you reserve out to 8 months in advance, and when I tried for August (in January, 7 months ahead of time) they were already mostly booked up! Oh, and this was for AFTER the big event!

The Rattler (BLR)
03-26-2017, 11:15 AM
If you camp at either Boxcar/Horsfall/Myrtlewood Factory or the KOA you will have to take the whoop road to get to the beach, that's why the preference is Riley ranch or Spinreel.
They are expanding in the future Halfmoon Bay in Winchester but of all 3 dunes this is the smallest and no beach access.
Florence has beach access, however only a few places to camp besides the sand..
If or when Sand Dunes frontier would ever sell or improve their camping area that would be the place to stay, but as of now it's just not a great place to camp

Sandfreak
03-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Any info on this Florence rv park? http://www.woahinklakerv.com/
If you camp at either Boxcar/Horsfall/Myrtlewood Factory or the KOA you will have to take the whoop road to get to the beach, that's why the preference is Riley ranch or Spinreel.
They are expanding in the future Halfmoon Bay in Winchester but of all 3 dunes this is the smallest and no beach access.
Florence has beach access, however only a few places to camp besides the sand..
If or when Sand Dunes frontier would ever sell or improve their camping area that would be the place to stay, but as of now it's just not a great place to camp

The Rattler (BLR)
03-26-2017, 11:53 AM
I believe only 7 spaces are for OHV campers and must have stock exhaust
Dave Dave stays there I believe twice a year

DiscoBayJoe
03-27-2017, 10:22 AM
I like Sand Camping, such as Pismo Beach, but at Pismo you start on the hard wetsand and camp just above the waterline. I'd be a little nervous putting my RV onto the beach from the dry-side.

is there good sand-camping for RV's/5th Wheels like Pismo?

crazywatson
03-27-2017, 11:01 AM
There are not many places to camp in the sand in Oregon that I know of. Winchester Bay is a nice dune area but you can't ride to the dunes from there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The Rattler (BLR)
03-27-2017, 12:47 PM
I like Sand Camping, such as Pismo Beach, but at Pismo you start on the hard wetsand and camp just above the waterline. I'd be a little nervous putting my RV onto the beach from the dry-side.

is there good sand-camping for RV's/5th Wheels like Pismo?
All Sand camping in Oregon is reserved through the FS in designated camping spots
No beach camping
Need 4 wheel drive to access the camping spots along with that you will also need an OHV sticker and flag on vehicle

Maverick4me
03-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Hey, check the top right of your screen (Notifications). I sent you a PM (message).

gridman
03-27-2017, 08:24 PM
We love Riley Ranch, but to reserve a campsite there you have to be a little bit lucky. They will let you reserve out to 8 months in advance, and when I tried for August (in January, 7 months ahead of time) they were already mostly booked up! Oh, and this was for AFTER the big event!

I heard rumor it was getting shut down this year LOL

The Rattler (BLR)
03-28-2017, 08:17 AM
We are all coming to you place :)

AlfaBaz
03-28-2017, 08:21 AM

:rolleyes:

crazywatson
03-28-2017, 09:14 AM
What? Why? I love that campground

The Rattler (BLR)
03-28-2017, 09:43 AM
What? Why? I love that campground

Gotta read between the lines.. and where Pats house is...lol

crazywatson
03-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Gotta read between the lines.. and where Pats house is...lol
Lol it must be near there.

DiscoBayJoe
03-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Well, I just found out my Aunt has camping spots booked somewhere.... Let's just hope it's nearby! I'll find out exactly where this weekend

DiscoBayJoe
03-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Actually, turns out she had booked at a non-ATV friendly state park up in Florence, so i'm back trying to figure out a plan :)

LBR
03-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Way to go Pat....now you've stressed Crazywatson out!...haha

LBR
03-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Actually, turns out she had booked at a non-ATV friendly state park up in Florence, so i'm back trying to figure out a plan :)
Must be Honeyman?

During the winter months, you can ride to and from by sand from the H loop camping area...

gridman
03-28-2017, 07:04 PM
gotta read between the lines.. And where pats house is...lol

lol

gridman
03-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Way to go Pat....now you've stressed Crazywatson out!...haha

Haha now that funny

DiscoBayJoe
03-28-2017, 07:58 PM
Must be Honeyman?

During the winter months, you can ride to and from by sand from the H loop camping area...

yup, she had us in the G loop of Honeyman.

LBR
03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
yup, she had us in the G loop of Honeyman.
Dang....Just missed it by one letter!

Maverick4me
03-28-2017, 10:19 PM

Gotcha covered, give me a call as soon as possible. Sent you another PM several hours ago....

Maverick4me
03-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Did you find something? I never got a call......