PDA

View Full Version : On trail fix for mud pluged radiator.

Scrat
04-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Yesterday I sunk the front of my 900 Trail in a mud hole. I was riding alone so my only option was to winch it through the mud to the other side. The radiator got about half plugged with mud and the temperature ran a little higher than normal (215 ish) for the rest of the day.

Anyhow, has anyone else run into this situation? Does anyone have a trick to clean out a radiator out on the trail (or maybe at the trailhead?) I was thinking about maybe carrying a garden sprayer in the truck but don't know how will that would work to clean out the fins.

Ideas?

Ruckzuck
04-27-2015, 04:54 PM
I have seen guys using a bildge pump for boats. Just rigged it up with a small hose on the output side so it has a bit of pressure. Wire in a plug for the 12v output on your rzr and throw the pump in the water.

de3
04-27-2015, 11:52 PM
I have seen the same thing done.............but with some of the mudder's i know once that red clay mud hits the radiator its just bakes to it.......

582RDB
04-28-2015, 06:45 AM
I always bring a 2 gal pump sprayer,works great for the radiator and front windshield .

Scrat
04-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Before you ride spray your radiator. A spray called mud off . It works good I spray my fenders and stuff before I ride and no mud sticks to it. But it will rinse off if you cross a lot of deep creeks.

EPL
04-28-2015, 08:53 PM
I have forgot all about MUD OFF we used it all the time when I raced circle track dirt cars. It worked great , I'm going to have to get some for when we go riding when it's muddy out.

Skywalker
04-29-2015, 05:06 AM
I use a small inexpensive 12 volt boat bilge pump .