PDA

View Full Version : Black Rock Area interest..

Jeepalive
12-28-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm just checking if there would be any interest to plan a camping trip up to the black rock area this coming year? I'm thinking of going up that way this weekend to explore and find a good spot to be able to setup camp if that's something people would like to do later on? I've been up there a few times and it's a great area to ride in the high desert.

The Rattler (BLR)
12-28-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm just checking if there would be any interest to plan a camping trip up to the black rock area this coming year? I'm thinking of going up that way this weekend to explore and find a good spot to be able to setup camp if that's something people would like to do later on? I've been up there a few times and it's a great area to ride in the high desert.
Is this up by Gerlach??

Jeepalive
12-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Is this up by Gerlach??

Yes it is

The Rattler (BLR)
12-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Keep us updated.. LBR and I have always wanted to go to that area.. if it's at a time that we can include other rides that would be great. It's not a hope skip & jump from the Oregon Coast

EPL
12-28-2016, 11:50 AM
If its at the right time I would love to go !!

Jeepalive
12-28-2016, 11:59 AM
I'll try getting up there to explore a little, I know of a few cool areas up there that will make it a fun trip, if I do end up doing a run up there I'm thinking it would be a camping trip to ride different areas for a few days.

CrazyCooter
12-28-2016, 09:08 PM
If the timing is right I'd be in.......Can't get enough of that area.

Where do you camp?

Jeepalive
12-28-2016, 09:47 PM
If the timing is right I'd be in.......Can't get enough of that area.

Where do you camp?

Not sure yet, I've only been twice and both just camped from a truck in different areas. But it looks like I'll be heading up Sunday to check out some areas and see where might be some good spots

Sandfreak
12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
We usually stay at Stevens camp at the upper end of High Rock Canyon. My dads a member of the High Rock Trekkers and has wheeled down there since 97.

Jeepalive
12-29-2016, 10:07 AM
We usually stay at Stevens camp at the upper end of High Rock Canyon. My dads a member of the High Rock Trekkers and has wheeled down there since 97.

I was wanting to check out somewhere around there, Stevens camp is a cool place that's the only area I've been up there and want to explore around more

Sandfreak
12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
If the BLM gets their way the cabin will be torn down. They shut the water off up at the spring so no kitchen or shower but we figured a way around it. Its just a nice spot to stage from. Stayed at Double Hot also but not near as nice.
I was wanting to check out somewhere around there, Stevens camp is a cool place that's the only area I've been up there and want to explore around more

Sandfreak
12-29-2016, 12:23 PM
So you have been through High rock canyon then?

Jeepalive
12-29-2016, 12:27 PM
So you have been through High rock canyon then?

Yes I have been through high rocks and went to some hot springs also but those were at night didn't see much

motleyones
12-29-2016, 02:54 PM
We may be interested before it gets hot. Maybe March or April. What month did you have in mind? :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

motleyones
12-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Are you looking at a place where we could also take a camp trailer?

Jeepalive
12-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Are you looking at a place where we could also take a camp trailer?

Yeah I want to find somewhere we can all take our trailers to camp, so I don't want to take it to far off nice roads and I don't want to camp on the black rock as that playa dust is a pain to get off anything. I'm not to sure on a date just yet, I'd like it to be when we can get a good group to come up but if possible we could always do a few trips maybe it's a huge area with endless riding

motleyones
12-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah I want to find somewhere we can all take our trailers to camp, so I don't want to take it to far off nice roads and I don't want to camp on the black rock as that playa dust is a pain to get off anything. I'm not to sure on a date just yet, I'd like it to be when we can get a good group to come up but if possible we could always do a few trips maybe it's a huge area with endless riding
👍

CrazyCooter
12-29-2016, 08:34 PM
I led a 150+ mile loop a couple of years back with EPL and Fast Pat. We stayed in Vya, headed South on Hwy34, to the South entrance of High Rock Canyon, out the North end to Stevens Camp, Massacre Ranch, and back to Vya. The canyon is usually closed from Feb 1st to the second week in May. That's when it could be either real hot or get snowed on.

Have logged about 11,000 miles in the Black Rock Desert over the past 12 years and still have yet to see it all.

BDacus
12-30-2016, 07:12 AM
I've been looking at this area also for years. I have never been up there and lived in Northern Nevada all my 45 years essentially. My biggest concern from research and talking to others is the camp location and overall expanse of the place. To get very far up there to a good camp is 30+ miles on dirt / dusty road. And I really would like to avoid camping on the moon-dust of the lake bed. And because the place is SOOOOOO BIG, a closed climate controlled vehicle more like a Jeep, or SUV is more suited. When you have to go 40+ miles one way in a dead straight line up the black rock gets kinda gets old in a UTV.

EPL
12-30-2016, 08:00 AM
We may be interested before it gets hot. Maybe March or April. What month did you have in mind? :)

I would be interested in April . Not able to go in March because we will be on the March Madness ride !!

CrazyCooter
12-30-2016, 08:04 AM
There is no real "Good" place to camp that is close to High Rock Canyon without dragging in your RV 40-60 miles on gravel roads. People do it, but I'd rather do that abusive grind in the Jeep or UTV and camp in a location not far off the beaten path. Never stayed on the lake bed, but the thought had crossed my mind just to stay in a more central location.

We're not getting into Double Hot Springs with RV's.....In Oct. the road was worse that ever and by the time you get there there would be 50lbs of alkali dust in the trailer!

I have also been thinking about staying down at the South end near Lovelock or Imlay to explore that lower part of the area and where the immigration trails turn North off of I80.

motleyones
12-30-2016, 09:07 AM
I would be interested in April . Not able to go in March because we will be on the March Madness ride !!
👍

Jeepalive
12-30-2016, 09:19 AM
There is no real "Good" place to camp that is close to High Rock Canyon without dragging in your RV 40-60 miles on gravel roads. People do it, but I'd rather do that abusive grind in the Jeep or UTV and camp in a location not far off the beaten path. Never stayed on the lake bed, but the thought had crossed my mind just to stay in a more central location.

We're not getting into Double Hot Springs with RV's.....In Oct. the road was worse that ever and by the time you get there there would be 50lbs of alkali dust in the trailer!

I have also been thinking about staying down at the South end near Lovelock or Imlay to explore that lower part of the area and where the immigration trails turn North off of I80.

I was hoping to find somewhere close to a main road I don't want to be dragging my trailer on a bumper road. I was just talking with a buddy that knows he area and knows of good spots to camp with trailers so hopefully we can find some spots.

Jeepalive
12-30-2016, 09:20 AM

I was kind of thinking an April, I wasn't sure with march madness how it would work being so close.

BDacus
12-30-2016, 11:58 AM
I was hoping to find somewhere close to a main road I don't want to be dragging my trailer on a bumper road. I was just talking with a buddy that knows he area and knows of good spots to camp with trailers so hopefully we can find some spots.

Off the "main road" is essentially Gerlach. Any of the good stuff to see is 40, 50, 60miles and more on dirt from there.

We did a camp / ride trip out of Lovelock this year. You can access the East side of the Black Rock, Frog Pond, etc. Some cool mining towns and equipment in the area. But even there we were 15 miles on dusty / dirty road. My RV and even inside enclosed trailer was a mess when we got home. We all kinda said we wouldn't go back just because of how dirty the RV's got, or try to camp closer to pavement and UTV in each day.

EPL
12-30-2016, 12:21 PM
Off the "main road" is essentially Gerlach. Any of the good stuff to see is 40, 50, 60miles and more on dirt from there.

We did a camp / ride trip out of Lovelock this year. You can access the East side of the Black Rock, Frog Pond, etc. Some cool mining towns and equipment in the area. But even there we were 15 miles on dusty / dirty road. My RV and even inside enclosed trailer was a mess when we got home. We all kinda said we wouldn't go back just because of how dirty the RV's got, or try to camp closer to pavement and UTV in each day.

I have only been up in that area one time and when got to where we were going to camp when we opened the trailer door there was so much dust inside you couldn't see !! I would like to go again but it would be nice not to go so far back one dirt or gravel roads !!

motleyones
01-01-2017, 04:35 AM
Quite often we camp South of the area you are talking about, just off of the reservation. The camping area is just off of the hwy, yet fairly hidden by large rocks. A lot of old mines in the area. The riding is good but can be challenging in one area getting two one of the better mines. We don't get the playa dust in or on the RVs. Another place people ride and camp in the area, a little closer to where you are talking about is below Purgatory Peak (sp). We haven't checked out that area yet, but probably will sometime this month.

motleyones
01-01-2017, 04:37 AM
Quite often we camp South of the area you are talking about, just off of the reservation. The camping area is just off of the hwy, yet fairly hidden by large rocks. A lot of old mines in the area. The riding is good but can be challenging in one area getting to one of the better mines. We don't get the playa dust in or on the RVs. Another place people ride and camp in the area, a little closer to where you are talking about is below Purgatory Peak (sp). We haven't checked out that area yet, but probably will sometime this month.

Jeepalive
01-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Quite often we camp South of the area you are talking about, just off of the reservation. The camping area is just off of the hwy, yet fairly hidden by large rocks. A lot of old mines in the area. The riding is good but can be challenging in one area getting two one of the better mines. We don't get the playa dust in or on the RVs. Another place people ride and camp in the area, a little closer to where you are talking about is below Purgatory Peak (sp). We haven't checked out that area yet, but probably will sometime this month.

Good to know I'll keep that in mind, it looks like we're just going to sand mountain today no one wanted to go up to gerlach and I don't go on trips like that alone

motleyones
01-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Good to know I'll keep that in mind, it looks like we're just going to sand mountain today no one wanted to go up to gerlach and I don't go on trips like that alone
👍. Have fun!

Ajb9
01-07-2017, 07:03 PM

There's a great rv camp past lovelock at the resivior... Lots of great riding out of there on both sides of the freeway! Gurlock is very doable from there to gas up

CrazyCooter
01-08-2017, 10:10 PM
There's a great rv camp past lovelock at the resivior... Lots of great riding out of there on both sides of the freeway! Gurlock is very doable from there to gas up

Rye patch? Stayed there once and thought I could be a good basecamp.