PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Dunes - if you can only do 1 trip, then which event?

moosehog
11-30-2016, 01:03 PM
Our family of 4 wants to hit the oregon dunes in 2017. Kids ages 5 and 8. We have been once before to Winchester Bay, but not for any special event/week. If you could do one event next year, which would it be?
1. Dune Fest
2. UTV Invasion
3. Some other week (IE no special event)
4. UTV Takeover "Summerfest"

I was leaning toward booking for Dune Fest, but a thread on here for 2016 suggested it was poorly organized and crowded.

Any suggestions are welcome.

AlfaBaz
11-30-2016, 01:26 PM
I personally don't like crowds, so I avoid the "special events" like the plague! We have been to Winchester Bay a couple of times, and Riley Ranch once. We liked Riley Ranch better, and will be going back next August, right after Dunefest. Dates will probably be like the 12th through the 18th.

moosehog
11-30-2016, 02:28 PM
I personally don't like crowds, so I avoid the "special events" like the plague! We have been to Winchester Bay a couple of times, and Riley Ranch once. We liked Riley Ranch better, and will be going back next August, right after Dunefest. Dates will probably be like the 12th through the 18th.

I looked into Riley Ranch and it looks nice. They are plenty of sites bookable right now for RVs up to 50 ft. I'm leaning toward booking one for that same week.

Maverick4me
11-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Your poll is missing the best upcoming event: UTV Takeover "Summerfest". (June 14th-18th, 2017)

X - This is my vote!

To my knowledge, there is no UTV Invasion in Oregon. Only Idaho.

EPL
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Your poll is missing the best upcoming event: UTV Takeover "Summerfest". (June 14th-18th, 2017)

X - This is my vote!

It has been added for you !!

quad56
11-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Riley Ranch is great!!

Maverick4me
11-30-2016, 08:56 PM
It has been added for you !!

Now is there someway to move my vote from "Other" to "UTV Takeover"?? Thanks!

EPL
11-30-2016, 09:05 PM
Now is there someway to move my vote from "Other" to "UTV Takeover"?? Thanks!

Done !!

moosehog
11-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Your poll is missing the best upcoming event: UTV Takeover

That's the one I was thinking of. I just had the name wrong.

Sandfreak
11-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Biggest problem with Dunefest is too many people for such a small area. Last couple of times we went we stayed down at Riley ranch and trailered up for one day but the kids in our group got bored pretty fast.

Airbus899
11-30-2016, 10:39 PM
We have been to every Dune event @ Coos & Winchester. The the good news is U can't go wrong with any of them!! Our favorite is Dunefest, because we like all the events. even though it was better in the past, it's the most organized by far!!We hit Oregon Dunes from May-September Only. The weather is to cold & unpredictable in the Winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazywatson
11-30-2016, 11:00 PM
I like the events just to socialize but the dunes in Oregon are not that big. It gets really busy out there during large events and the riding suffers.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maverick4me
12-01-2016, 07:44 AM
That is one of the best things going for UTV Takeover, is it is held at Box Car Campground (North Bend/Coosbay). You have so much more riding area from Horsfalls to Spinreel. And I really like the fact that the event is totally FREE! And camping is all the usual price, not some inflated cost like Dunefest does. I think they are really going in the right direction to be a fun family orientated event. Hope to see everyone there next June!

The Rattler (BLR)
12-01-2016, 09:53 AM
This is my 2 cents.. We live here In Florence which is considered the north dunes. Winchester Bay is the middle dunes with Riley/Bix Car/ Horsfall being the south dunes.

If you want crowds and a small space then Winchester would be for you, no beach access,
I personally think over the next few years Dunefest will be going through some challenges, and will not be totally organized.

Florence North Dunes can be great at times. However it it the most dangerous/ technical of the 3 dunes because of the wind currents. We mainly stay/ ride on the perimeters, the center area can be very mesmerizing at high noon with the sun glare, lots of witches eyes & razor backs. Has beach access

We will drive the 47 miles south stay at Riley Ranch, just so we don't have to travel the whoop road each time we go to the beach,
Steve & Jim do put on a great event. UTV Takeover.. but in June and we use to see it when they held Sandfest at Boxcar.. The wind could be unbearable at times.. To get to the beach from Boxcar or Horsfall you have to take the whoop road..
Riley is our favorite place to camp and South dunes are our favorite place to ride.
Plus the hidden dunes are in the south dunes

AlfaBaz
12-01-2016, 10:42 AM
Done !!

Whoa. Hold on just a second. You have the ability to CHANGE A VOTE after it has been posted?!?!?! Do the Dems on our forum know that?? Oh wait. There probably aren't any Dems on our forum! But nevertheless, this sounds like voter fraud, or vote tampering or something shady, to me!!!

Maverick4me
12-01-2016, 10:52 AM

X - This is my vote!

LOL!! I guess this would count if it weren't the fact that I technically placed my vote with the above comment. Just had no option at the time, so figured OTHER was my only option! :)

Ed Harvey
12-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Winchester Bay is are favorite spot. If you want to have a nice trip and explore the the dunes go when there's no event.Winchester is in the middle and 20 minutes north or south for the rest of the dunes. Florence has the best beach beach road the 3 1/2 miles of woops at box-car not good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

moosehog
12-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the great input and suggestions.

drtfun
12-01-2016, 06:35 PM

This sound great we need to decide on dates so spaces can be reserved and time off approved

EPL
12-01-2016, 06:56 PM
whoa. Hold on just a second. You have the ability to change a vote after it has been posted?!?!?! Do the dems on our forum know that?? Oh wait. There probably aren't any dems on our forum! But nevertheless, this sounds like voter fraud, or vote tampering or something shady, to me!!!

lol !!

Seekhimfirst12
02-15-2017, 07:12 AM
That is one of the best things going for UTV Takeover, is it is held at Box Car Campground (North Bend/Coosbay). You have so much more riding area from Horsfalls to Spinreel. And I really like the fact that the event is totally FREE! And camping is all the usual price, not some inflated cost like Dunefest does. I think they are really going in the right direction to be a fun family orientated event. Hope to see everyone there next June!

We totally agree with this! Won't go to Dunefest again, very disappointed in 2016. Already have reservations at Myrtlewood, can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roxy
06-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Anyone staying at Riley Ranch. We're here and it's beautiful. A18. Come say hi.

The Rattler (BLR)
06-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Anyone staying at Riley Ranch. We're here and it's beautiful. A18. Come say hi.
We are only 40 miles to the north.. we live in Florence. But we are having a moving sale so we can be on the road fulltime.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk