PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Rubicon or Berrett trail Run ...

jcowell4130
10-15-2016, 07:04 PM
I Want to do a day trip run on the Rubicon or Berrett trail before the snow hit's and seeing if anyone has plans of doing so?

I have never been on the Rubicon trail before so want to join some people if anyone is interested.

Thanks ...

Jeepalive
10-15-2016, 07:48 PM
I Want to do a day trip run on the Rubicon or Berrett trail before the snow hit's and seeing if anyone has plans of doing so?

I have never been on the Rubicon trail before so want to join some people if anyone is interested.

Thanks ...

When were you thinking of going on this? Saturday run?

jcowell4130
10-15-2016, 07:55 PM
When were you thinking of going on this? Saturday run?

Well maybe I should have specified this lol

I am still a few weeks out waiting for my new HCR Long Travel kit to show up and install it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepalive
10-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Well maybe I should have specified this lol

I am still a few weeks out waiting for my new HCR Long Travel kit to show up and install it.

Few weeks is good for me, the next month I'm booked up but if it's a day I have off I'll be down for a day trip, went from loon to buck twice this summer and have never been to berrett yet, I'd be down for either one

jcowell4130
10-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Ok that sounds good. I think I will get ahold of HCR on Monday and see how the ETA is looking and I can report back here with a date.

I am really up for any and all of that trail. Since I have never been am on for what ever.

CHbeer
10-16-2016, 10:04 AM
I can do a day trip too at Rubicon or Berrett trail
never been to Berrett trail

jcowell4130
10-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Yeah ether one is great. Let me get a date when my sxs will be done and will let you guy's know some dates and we can get together and have some fun... Thanks for responding.

Beach Leo
10-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Never heard of Berrett Trail

Wheres it at guys???

AlfaBaz
10-16-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm thinking that it is the Barrett Lake Trail, right? Highway 50, round about Kyburz?

jcowell4130
10-16-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking that it is the Barrett Lake Trail, right? Highway 50, round about Kyburz?

Barrett lake is off Hwy 50. I have never been there before but know some info on it. There are a few cool UTV videos on YouTube of that trail.
It's about 7.5 miles each way. It is about and back on the same trail. Pretty technical from what I hear. Which is a good thing :)
The trail is seasonal I know it does close in the winter but not exactly sure of the date I'll have to look that up I guess it also depends if we get an early snow season.

AlfaBaz
10-16-2016, 07:03 PM
The trail is seasonal I know it does close in the winter but not exactly sure of the date I'll have to look that up I guess it also depends if we get an early snow season.

What often happens in the El Dorado National Forest is that as soon as it gets good and wet, the Supervising Ranger for the entire district "temporarily" closes all roads and trails for "erosion control". In the past, they haven't opened back up until May 1.

TrailGirl78
10-16-2016, 08:34 PM
What often happens in the El Dorado National Forest is that as soon as it gets good and wet, the Supervising Ranger for the entire district "temporarily" closes all roads and trails for "erosion control". In the past, they haven't opened back up until May 1.

Barrett Lake trail is tricky because they rarely open it and it may only be for one weekend then closed again. They say due to erosion control. It's always best to check online and then call to double check. I've wanted to do it for years but finding a weekend it's open can be tricky. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/54064ff235466dcc8e96fefbde6d18a9.png

Airbus899
10-16-2016, 10:26 PM

Thanks ...

We just got back from the Rubicon today. Went on Tahoe side & out Loon Lake. Took our Jeep tho because of the Rainhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/e45a45128ec87b520494e7771e6ef116.jpg
We are planning on hitting the Con 1 More time this year. Not sure if we will take the RZR or the JK. Mostly depends on the weather. Let me know what date your thinking. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/42aabd471ff66ec96122ffd0e1eb7258.jpg

jcowell4130
10-17-2016, 04:41 AM
Wow I guess I was not aware that Barrett trail was closed that much. So when it does have a open day I guess you jump on it and make a special day out of it. Thanks for the info.

gridman
10-17-2016, 05:36 AM
Great pic Ben, I have been trying to talk my wife into taking her mall masher up for a run but I'm not doing any good so far lol

TrailGirl78
10-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Wow I guess I was not aware that Barrett trail was closed that much. So when it does have a open day I guess you jump on it and make a special day out of it. Thanks for the info.

Yes & hope you have nothing else planned:) We did Fordyce a few weeks ago it was a blast. The Rubicon is pretty but for those of us who have been wheeling it long before they destroyed gate keeper & little sluice & other sections it's a different place. BeerMod knows what I mean. Would love to run Barrett when they open it typically late June. Let's put together a ride. You can camp at Wright's Lake. I'll keep in touch with the rangers & get something planned :)

jcowell4130
10-17-2016, 07:31 AM
Yes & hope you have nothing else planned:) We did Fordyce a few weeks ago it was a blast. The Rubicon is pretty but for those of us who have been wheeling it long before they destroyed gate keeper & little sluice & other sections it's a different place. BeerMod knows what I mean. Would love to run Barrett when they open it typically late June. Let's put together a ride. You can camp at Wright's Lake. I'll keep in touch with the rangers & get something planned :)

I love Fordyce and have only rode a little of it. But sounds like the creek crossings are to much water flow from PG&E so will have to catch that trail next year or at least from the water crossings out that is.

Yeah I know I understand about the Rubicon I have a lot of crawling friends that have explained the changes over the years but sure pretty though like you said.

I guess I'm up for anything for as trails are considered. Just looking for some Tech trails to crawl on this time of the year.

jcowell4130
10-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Do you have any suggestions on some great trails to run this time a year that are on the more technical side? I would love to hear your suggestions. Thanks

TrailGirl78
10-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Signal Peak is good or Fordyce because water levels are low. We've wanted to do High Lakes too may have to plan a trip there soon too. Nigara OHV by pinecrest ca has some crawling but not good once deer season opens. My buddy is going to lead a ride there in the spring. I'll keep in touch with ranger about Barrett and we will put together a run when it opens.
Great book I've found some fun trails in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/e7065d5f1e26d27554d956ab2e014f64.jpg

jcowell4130
10-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Signal Peak is good or Fordyce because water levels are low. We've wanted to do High Lakes too may have to plan a trip there soon too. Nigara OHV by pinecrest ca has some crawling but not good once deer season opens. My buddy is going to lead a ride there in the spring. I'll keep in touch with ranger about Barrett and we will put together a run when it opens.
Great book I've found some fun trails in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/e7065d5f1e26d27554d956ab2e014f64.jpg

Yeah I am really familiar with signal Peak as well as the Fordyce trail around that area. Going back to Fordyce lake is really cool area but looking for some stuff we have not rode yet this year.

Thanks for the recommendations and I will also check out that book. I guess I'll just keep an eye out here on this forum for upcoming rides people are doing.

Thanks again...

TOD
10-17-2016, 02:59 PM
We've never done the Rubicon or Fordyce Trails. I have stock height XP4 and I've always wondered how it would do on those trails.

When arriving at Fordyce Lake, there is a road that goes to the left, just before the house. Have you guys gone down this road in a rzr? It look spretty gnarly.

Isn't the Barrett Jeep trail supposed to be the most extreme trail in this area?

norcalrob
10-17-2016, 06:16 PM
"When arriving at Fordyce Lake, there is a road that goes to the left, just before the house. Have you guys gone down this road in a rzr? It look spretty gnarly."

that is the exit from committee crossing on fordyce.......thats nothing...compared to some of the other spots on the trail
that section is doable with a stock xp4..as well as the trail itself, just a bit challenging

AlfaBaz
10-17-2016, 07:28 PM
that is the exit from committee crossing on fordyce.......thats nothing...compared to some of the other spots on the trail
that section is doable with a stock xp4..as well as the trail itself, just a bit challenging

I sure would like to know the definition of "doable". I guess I'm a wuss; we went a mile or so down that trail, and I thought it was plenty challenging.

I also did just part of the Rubicon once (about 7 miles starting from Loon Lake) and it beat me half to death! I was on my bone stock 50", with 25" tires and no power steering, but just over 13 miles (round trip) took 11 hours! You guys have my utmost respect!

Jakeman
10-17-2016, 08:35 PM
I am up for a Rubicon run. Would you come in from the Tahoe side or from loon lake?

I did Barrett in August. That trail is rough. Personally, I think it is a weekend trip. There is so much to see once you get to the end of the trail. You wouldn't have time to take much of it in. On the way in, the backpackers beat us to camp, LOL, but going back out it only took us 2 hours.

jcowell4130
10-17-2016, 08:47 PM
Yeah I would really like to do a Rubicon run. It looks like the at least the first weekend in November would be the soonest I could go but will have a better idea on a date here in a week or so.

Jeepalive
10-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I am up for a Rubicon run. Would you come in from the Tahoe side or from loon lake?

I did Barrett in August. That trail is rough. Personally, I think it is a weekend trip. There is so much to see once you get to the end of the trail. You wouldn't have time to take much of it in. On the way in, the backpackers beat us to camp, LOL, but going back out it only took us 2 hours.

I'd be down for starting on the Tahoe side, I've started at Loon both times I've been this summer.

Jeepalive
10-17-2016, 09:01 PM
Yeah I would really like to do a Rubicon run. It looks like the at least the first weekend in November would be the soonest I could go but will have a better idea on a date here in a week or so.

The second weekend of Nov works best for me, that's my next weekend off so

Jakeman
10-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Tahoe side is fine with me. I cannot make it Saturday 12th, but first weekend, 13th, or weekend after is good for me.

jcowell4130
10-18-2016, 05:08 AM
I forgot I will be up in Stonyford the weekend of the 12th but I think I am free the following weekend.