PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Park, Colorado Sept. 6th - 11th 2017

The Rattler (BLR)
09-24-2016, 09:51 PM
A few of us are going to Taylor Park, Colorado Sept. 6th - 11th or so.
More Information at a later date on where we are going to stay.

For those that are going or thinking about going, I would like a little input on if you would want to dry camp or be in an RV park.

Here's a little info about the area
http://www.atvtrails.org/co/taylorparkmain.html

Thanks

AlfaBaz
09-25-2016, 08:12 AM
RV parks are very convenient and stress free with unlimited water and power. But we usually get better campsites and have better "group privacy" dry camping. Patti and I will be happy either way (assuming I'm not too slow to even get invited!).

The Rattler (BLR)
09-25-2016, 08:34 AM
RV parks are very convenient and stress free with unlimited water and power. But we usually get better campsites and have better "group privacy" dry camping. Patti and I will be happy either way (assuming I'm not too slow to even get invited!).
Hotrod would not be happy if he didn't have Lacy to hang out with

I will do more investigation as to where to stay when LBR and I are down at Ocotillo Wells at Christmas

AlfaBaz
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Hotrod would not be happy if he didn't have Lacy to hang out with

Lucky for me I've got a cool dog !

Ajb9
09-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Here's a video link of this rv park in the area... https://youtu.be/SKDb1DDx9lE
And there web site http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com/home.html
There are a few other camp grounds in the area

The Rattler (BLR)
09-25-2016, 09:25 PM
Thanks Alan...

Ajb9
09-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Ck out this place that link the trails to the south out of crested butte
Nice but pricy... http://www.crestedbuttervresort.com/Rate-Details

jimandmelissa
10-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Interested :)

The Rattler (BLR)
10-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Interested :)
We will talk more when we see you in a couple of months

The Rattler (BLR)
12-26-2016, 02:12 PM
So it sounds like Taylor Park would be a good option for our 1st trip.. full hookups and we can ride right out of the park..http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161226/65cf2d5db57474eea31e62616b938ceb.jpg

The Rattler (BLR)
12-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Here's a link to Taylor Park Trading Post
http://www.taylorparktradingpost.com

AlfaBaz
04-17-2017, 06:42 PM
I think it's time to get this trip back up on the radar and keep it in mind. There may be a few who want to go and need time to schedule time off work (I sort of remember those days!). Are we still planning on 9/5-9/11? Are we still staying at the Taylor Park Trading Post? My brother lives in Colorado and says the fall colors will improve as it gets later in the month. I think we will probably leave here on the 5th (so we can do our traditional Labor Day with the family), so we may not get there until the 7th. Traveling that far, we will probably stay till around the 15th or so. Any more suggestions? Is it time to make reservations? Ready to sign up?

1. LBR, BLR, & Hotrod
7. Alfa Baz, Patti, & Lacy

The Rattler (BLR)
04-17-2017, 06:45 PM
I think it's time to get this trip back up on the radar and keep it in mind. There may be a few who want to go and need time to schedule time off work (I sort of remember those days!). Are we still planning on 9/5-9/11? Are we still staying at the Taylor Park Trading Post? My brother lives in Colorado and says the fall colors will improve as it gets later in the month. I think we will probably leave here on the 5th (so we can do our traditional Labor Day with the family), so we may not get there until the 7th. Traveling that far, we will probably stay till around the 15th or so. Any more suggestions? Is it time to make reservations? Ready to sign up?

1. LBR, BLR, & Hotrod
7. Alfa Baz, Patti, & Lacy
We were planning on arriving the 8th and leaving when the weather turns..

I was waiting to see who was going to join us before we made reservations at Taylor Park trading post

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AlfaBaz
04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
We were planning on arriving the 8th and leaving when the weather turns..

I was waiting to see who was going to join us before we made reservations at Taylor Park trading post

Outstanding! We'll just make the dates 9/8- whenever you have to leave!

The Rattler (BLR)
04-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Left a message at the RV park, they will be out till Thursday

Jay Bromley
04-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Here is some info about the proposed closure for the area near Taylor Park.

Irwin & Tincup Dispersed Camping Closures #NP-1436
NOTE: Public comments are carefully considered by the Forest Service. The purpose of comments is to help the agency identify issues and alternatives related to the proposed action. The agency does not tally public comments in favor/against any action in the manner of a "vote".

The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests (GMUG) is proposing to close the Irwin area, north of Crested Butte, CO, and the Tincup area, southeast of Taylor Reservoir, to dispersed camping from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Camping in campgrounds will still be allowed at the Lake Irwin and Mirror Lake Campgrounds.

These areas are receiving increasing numbers of dispersed campers, user-created roads and spurs and successional occupation from Memorial Day to after Labor Day. Additionally, increased use motor vehicles off the designated roads, trailers and motor-homes with associated group camping are causing significant impacts.

In the Irwin area, the closure would prohibit dispersed camping within a half mile of National Forest System Roads (NFSR) #826.1D (south of the private land) and NFSR #826.1D1.

In the Tincup area, the closure would prohibit dispersed camping within a half mile of NFSRs #765 from its junction with County Road 742 to the town site of Tincup and NFSR #267 from the Tincup town site to Mirror Lake. No dispersed camping would be allowed on spurs as well, including: NFSR #901.1A, #765.1A, #765.4A, #765.4B, #765.4D, #765.1B, #765.B1, #765.1C, #765.C1, #765.1D, and #765.1G. The half mile buffer off of NFSR #765 would also prohibit dispersed camping on portions of NFSRs #587, #725, and #953.1A1.

Signs would be posted to inform forest visitors of the restrictions and a Forest Order developed to enforce these restrictions. These closures are proposed to protect resources that are being damaged by activities associated with dispersed camping. Damages include loss of vegetation, soil erosion, sanitation issues, and wildlife habitat loss.

To respond Please email your comments to

Lee Ann Loupe
Public and Legislative Affairs Officer

lloupe@fs.fed.us<mailto:lloupe@fs.fed.us>

This is what your up against .If you don't voice your opinion NOW !!

The Rattler (BLR)
04-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info..

Jay Bromley
04-30-2017, 09:20 AM
This is what we are up against .

Date submitted (UTC-11): 11/18/2016 10:24:06 PM
First name: Tom
Last name: Sobal
Organization: Quiet Use Coalition
Title: Director
Official Representative/Member Indicator:

( Please accept and consider these comments on behalf of the Quiet Use Coalition with regards to proposed
restrictions on camping in the Lake Irwin and Tincup areas on the Gunnison Ranger District, and related to the
information provided online at
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gmug/n...d=FSEPRD521672 .
Our members have used and visited these areas. We currently use and visit these areas. We have
observed and noted increase negative impacts resulting from camping and especially dispersed motorized
camping in these areas over the past 30 years.
We support the proposed restrictions with the following comments.
It must be emphasized that there are existing designated public and private campgrounds near to these
locations that can more efficiently and responsibly accommodate and manage campers. There are also
numerous other opportunities to camp on other parts of the forest. Restricting camping in these two small
areas will not have a significant impact on the overall availability of camping on the Gunnison National Forest.
We agree with the determination on page 191 of the Final Environmental Impact Statement for Gunnison
Basin Federal Lands Travel Management, which states that loss of some dispersed camping opportunity would
result in some dissatisfaction, but that dispersed campers would likely find abundant other dispersed camping
opportunities on the forest and relocate to those. We also agree that not all forest visitors wish to stay on or
near the forest overnight, and other opportunities such as designated campgrounds and other forms of lodging
exist as alternatives to dispersed camping.
The proposed action will prohibit dispersed camping near designated campgrounds at Lake Irwin and Mirror
Lake. It will help focus and concentrate camping use and impacts into those designated campgrounds and
other locations designed and managed to more responsibly and appropriately accommodate camping. This will
help concentrate camping in the designated campgrounds, maintain desired experiences for campers in the
campgrounds, and help prevent use of campground amenities by non-paying dispersed campers.
We generally recommend that no dispersed camping be permitted within one half mile of any developed
campground. The GMUG National Forest currently uses a similar strategy to restrict camping near the Mosca
and Dinner Station designated campgrounds. The proposed action will help implement similar restrictions near
the Lake Irwin and Mirror Lake Campgrounds.
Dispersed motorized camping involves overnight use and occupancy, and additional impacts, which must be
fully considered. These are difficult to manage and monitor and they may include:
* human and other waste disposal
* fires and increased risks of human caused wildfires
* potential increased recreational target shooting
* noise and unnatural sounds
* unnatural food sources
* unnatural light at night
* unnatural odors
* increased/extended human presence
* potential impacts to riparian areas
* wildlife impacts
* Impacts to vegetation due to trampling, campfires, and firewood collection
* impacts to adjacent private land, trails or other existing facilities
* impacts of pets, horses, etc.
* additional visual impacts associated with human use and presence, vehicles, gear, etc. which can last
for days/weeks.
* impacts to grazing livestock
* impacts to historic and cultural resources associated with increased visitation, vandalism, etc.
With an unpredictable and relatively unmanaged activity such as dispersed motorized camping, these
impacts can quickly result in significant resource, social and management concerns.
Motorized dispersed camping also leads to the development and proliferation of unauthorized motorized and
other routes near the dispersed camp areas. The 300-foot allowance is confusing for the public as it is
sometimes difficult to discern which routes are designated system routes, how far 300 feet is, and which routes
are undesignated non-system routes. Some members of the public mistake undesignated routes for designated
routes, and develop and use additional routes which extend 300 feet beyond undesignated spur routes. This
results in motorized use extending 600 feet and beyond away from designated routes. This misperception can
result in the proliferation of numerous layers of unauthorized motorized use and camping well beyond the 300-
foot allowance.
We strongly recommend a restriction on all dispersed motorized camping that can be accessed off FR 826
in addition to the proposed restrictions in the Lake Irwin area. As the primary and only access road to the Lake
Irwin area, also restricting dispersed camping from this road will permit an opportunity for consistent area wide
management of camping in this area. Educational signage restricting camping could be installed at the
beginning of FR 826 at the intersection with CR 12 which would consistently apply to all lands which could be
accessed by FR 826 in that area. There is not a great deal of dispersed camping which occurs off FR 826 so
this restriction would not result in significantly modifying existing uses and conditions. Dispersed camping is
currently depicted as permitted along FR 826 according to the Motor Vehicle Use Map. This additional
restriction would help prevent the development and use of new dispersed camp roads and sites in this
immediate area which may result from new restrictions on roads beyond. This additional restriction would help
focus any and all camping in this area to the developed and designated Lake Irwin Campground, where it can
be better and more responsibly managed.
These proposed camping restrictions will minimize dispersed camping related impacts to adjacent private
land in these areas.
The restrictions near Tincup will help minimize dispersed camping related impacts to Willow Creek and East
Willow Creek. There are some existing dispersed campsites which are very close to this creek and associated
wetlands.
The restrictions will help with the management of the concentrated large volumes of public use near Lake
Irwin, Mirror Lake and Tincup. Limiting the overall amount of camping available in these areas ensures that
the majority of visitors will be day use only as opposed to overnight use.
The restrictions will help maintain and improve scenic vistas and views for those visiting these areas. Many
more people pass through and use lands associated with these areas than dispersed camp along the corridors
associated with roads in these areas.
We support allowing people to park a vehicle within one vehicle length of the edge of designated roads in
these areas, as permitted by FSM 7716.1 and 36 CFR261.54, where it is safe, appropriate and will not cause
or contribute to resource or facility damage.
We support a complete prohibition on all camping within these areas, as proposed. This will simplify overall
management, public education, and enforcement of the restriction. It will provide time and opportunity for the
Forest Service to objectively evaluate existing dispersed campsites in these areas for potential inclusion as
officially designated roads and dispersed camp locations and designated spur at some future point, if this is
desired and found to be appropriate. It will take additional time and effort for proper inventory, mapping, and
field evaluations of the existing dispersed camp roads.
Although the proposed prohibition on all camping in these areas is slightly different for the approved
sequence for addressing dispersed camping in the Kebler Pass/Lake Irwin area (as suggested on page 47 and
190 of the FEIS), we support the proposed full prohibition on dispersed camping in this area. The additional
costs of time and effort to inventory, map, analyze, designate, implement, and manage new designated spur
roads for dispersed camping are likely more than the recreation program budget can bear. Page 191 of the
FEIS suggested that funding may be limited, and recreation program trade-offs may be required. We believe
the proposed prohibition on dispersed camping in this area is an appropriate trade off, until the forest has the
resources to conduct an appropriate analysis of camping in these areas)

The Rattler (BLR)
05-08-2017, 04:52 PM
This ride has been CANCELED..
Hopefully we can plan on doing it in the Summer