PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Up, Separated, Lost, Not Together, Rules of Safety

Beach Leo
05-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Thought I would start this Tread

I would like every-one to participate:cool:

This issue is long over due and really needs to be addressed

We have noticed on a few rides that our Group Rides gets Broken up, Separated, Lost, or Not Together

I feel that we need to communicate and make some way-simple rules for everyone to follow and understand

So I will start with Rule #1 that every-one should follow

Rule #1 never leave the guy behind you, Always keep and eye out for them

When making a turn to another trail be polite and wait for-em so as they can see which way to go

Look in the rear-view mirror so often as to never lose-em

If you do loose sight of-em Stop and Wait

Turn off engine for a minute, you may hear-em

If none of that work make a U-Turn and back-track your route and find-em, They may-be in the Need of Help

Never leave a rider behind

Believe me there is nothing more satisfying than helping out a fellow rider:D

Please add more Rule to Keep us all together and safe

Thank-You

The Rattler (BLR)
05-02-2016, 01:30 PM
It helps to have radios also even if it's 5watt..however we need more with 50 watt also..

Pipelayer
05-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Doing a vehicle count at every stop. We could have very easily left the yellow commander, if we didnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHbeer
05-02-2016, 01:59 PM
I was with yellow commander I stop to help cuz he was having trouble with gas can and nobody stay at fork and radio was a hat or miss :( good thing we was able to get Brab :D next ride im getting 50 watt radio

The Rattler (BLR)
05-02-2016, 02:23 PM
I was with yellow commander I stop to help cuz he was having trouble with gas can and nobody stay at fork and radio was a hat or miss :( good thing we was able to get Brab :D next ride im getting 50 watt radio
I was amazed how far the 50 watt traveled..Russell was in camp and could listen to our conversation and Mavericks4me2 could hear a lot of our conversation going over to trinity and they were hanging closer to camp

CHbeer
05-02-2016, 03:08 PM
with my 5 watt i could hear them but that was about it

The Rattler (BLR)
05-02-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm just glad I realized you and Ed weren't with us..

AlfaBaz
05-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Radios may help to fix a problem that has already occurred. But with ZERO exceptions, if the group gets separated, the last guy in the front group made an inexcusable mistake. As Leo said, ALWAYS keep track of the guy behind you (I rarely go more than half a mile without a visual on the guy behind me). Headlights on helps.

Mike621
05-02-2016, 06:16 PM
If I'm riding and it's really dusty I maybe a few minutes behind, if I get to a split and don't know which way to go, I will wait till the next car comes , and hopefully they know the way to go, I know nobody like riding in the rear, but would be helpful to have someone take up the rear that also knows the route we would be traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drtfun
05-02-2016, 08:34 PM
this is a tough one we seem to always have this problem, I learned one thing from Leo last year that is it's a 100+ mile ride if you are not sure if you can make the whole trip on fuel bring some and put it in at lunch that way you will not have an issue

EPL
05-02-2016, 09:06 PM
this is a tough one we seem to always have this problem, I learned one thing from Leo last year that is it's a 100+ mile ride if you are not sure if you can make the whole trip on fuel bring some and put it in at lunch that way you will not have an issue

This is a very good point Terry !! I know of at least one person that all ways does that even if they don't need it !!

The Rattler (BLR)
05-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Fuel is not the issue..The issue is make sure that the person behind you is there or at least have communications with those people..being in the front 10 is alot different then being in the back half....I will leave it at that..Cause I'm normally in the back

Beach Leo
05-02-2016, 09:30 PM
This years Silver Strike Ride worked way-good

I feel the reason for that was due to the Drivers meeting we all had before Ride started

The group was always together, there was a break down, but Gridman towed-em to Safty

May-be Drivers Meeting should also be a Rule to follow

That way a new-be could learn Rule #1

Fast Pat
05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
We have had this happen too many times. As Leo said make sure to keep an eye on the person behind you. Ride with your headlights on. With that being said you need to try and keep up with the group. At turns, where someone has waited for you, you wait until the person behind you pulls up and stops...just because you see them coming they may have not seen you. The radios help a lot and we will be upgrading to the 50 watt radio. We want all rides to be fun and don't want people to get lost. It's so much fun to go out riding with a large group of people and had another fun trip with all of you that came!

AlfaBaz
05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
This is a very good point Terry !! I know of at least one person that all ways does that even if they don't need it !!

OK. Guilty!

CHbeer
05-02-2016, 09:44 PM
OK just Order my 50 watt radio :D Im not going to lose anybody

Maverick4me
05-02-2016, 10:37 PM
On our first ride at Chappie, almost every rule that you posted was not followed. Sadly enough, I will have a hard time convincing my wife to ever go on one of these rides again. Every ride should begin with a group meeting to address these rules, and clearly explain the ride to all the newbies that are attending. Obviously to little to late for me.... At least the wife and I had 50 watt radios, this helped. And yes, I could hear a lot of the conversation with the other 50 watts while you guys were out at trinity.

Ajb9
05-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Well' on a constructive note... I maybe new to you group but not to large group rides. Some of them I have led, helped navigate or picked up the rear. I couldn't agree more that simple courteous rules are a must or your group ride turns into a search party... The radios are very helpful but not a replacement for waiting in the turns and head back to the last time you saw them if they don't show. Someone should always be waiting at a turn... No exceptions! If there isn't some one at a side road the rule is continue straight on the most traveled trail! You should see plenty of tire tracks from the 30 rigs that just traveled through... But let's face it.... If a group member wants to share a ride area that doesn't mean there a GUIDE SERVICE! It's everyone's responsibility to find out the destination a idea of the route taken, keep track of where you are and carry a map of the area. Everyone has a smartphone buy a gps or location app for it. They range from free to around $20. If your Host you followed gets hurt you are no good to him if you do not know where your at! Remember 911 & 611 work with out cell service! Come prepared with your equipment maintained, gassed up and your tires properly aired to avoid pinch flats.. I road with a guy that would always show up with the same tire plugs out the side wall, wire tied and duct taped items, mooching gas and lunch... Was a real drag! So with that said, Everyone has to do there part and a little ride etiquette goes along way to having a great time!

EPL
05-03-2016, 07:05 AM
Well' on a constructive note... I maybe new to you group but not to large group rides. Some of them I have led, helped navigate or picked up the rear. I couldn't agree more that simple courteous rules are a must or your group ride turns into a search party... The radios are very helpful but not a replacement for waiting in the turns and head back to the last time you saw them if they don't show. Someone should always be waiting at a turn... No exceptions! If there isn't some one at a side road the rule is continue straight on the most traveled trail! You should see plenty of tire tracks from the 30 rigs that just traveled through... But let's face it.... If a group member wants to share a ride area that doesn't mean there a GUIDE SERVICE! It's everyone's responsibility to find out the destination a idea of the route taken, keep track of where you are and carry a map of the area. Everyone has a smartphone buy a gps or location app for it. They range from free to around $20. If your Host you followed gets hurt you are no good to him if you do not know where your at! Remember 911 & 611 work with out cell service! Come prepared with your equipment maintained, gassed up and your tires properly aired to avoid pinch flats.. I road with a guy that would always show up with the same tire plugs out the side wall, wire tied and duct taped items, mooching gas and lunch... Was a real drag! So with that said, Everyone has to do there part and a little ride etiquette goes along way to having a great time!

Very well said !!

. I think one of the big problems I have run into over the years is that there is always someone (or more) that doesn't like the dust and try's to stay back far enough not to get dust on them and the person in front them knows that and after a while get tired of waiting and quits waiting . I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but I was left behind at a ride because the person got tired of waiting for me because I was waiting so long for the person behind me so I have been in those shoes before. What i'm trying to say is not only do you need to come prepared and have your vehicle prepared you need to be prepared to accept some dust if it is a dusty ride !!

Maverick4me
05-03-2016, 08:00 AM
The radios are very helpful but not a replacement for waiting in the turns and head back to the last time you saw them if they don't show. Someone should always be waiting at a turn... No exceptions! If there isn't some one at a side road the rule is continue straight on the most traveled trail! You should see plenty of tire tracks from the 30 rigs that just traveled through... But let's face it.... If a group member wants to share a ride area that doesn't mean there a GUIDE SERVICE!

I like the point where you said "No exceptions!" But if you are going to invite people to a ride, then you share a certain amount of responsibility to provide some degree of GUIDE SERVICE. Otherwise do not post an open invite to a ride. Just go do it and have fun. Then you will not have to worry about providing a GUIDE SERVICE!

drtfun
05-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Fuel is not the issue..The issue is make sure that the person behind you is there or at least have communications with those people..being in the front 10 is alot different then being in the back half....I will leave it at that..Cause I'm normally in the back
I know Barb but it would cut down on the chance of having to stop

TOD
05-03-2016, 02:36 PM
First time riding in a big group for us. I'm going to call it a positive learning experience.

We will be looking into getting radios, and next time we will definitely back up and not take the turn so sharp! lol

Ajb9
05-03-2016, 07:34 PM
A big thanks to everyone involved with the Shasta ride... I thought it was highly organized and refreshing to run with a large group of experienced people! Having so many with radios was Like iceing on a cake keeping everyone updated from front to rear throughout the ride! Even though there were some hiccups like flat tires, roll overs and tows, it kept the leaders informed and were able to hold up and keep us in a group! I had a great time!��

EPL
05-03-2016, 07:38 PM
A big thanks to everyone involved with the Shasta ride... I thought it was highly organized and refreshing to run with a large group of experienced people! Having so many with radios was Like iceing on a cake keeping everyone updated from front to rear throughout the ride! Even though there were some hiccups like flat tires, roll overs and tows, it kept the leaders informed and were able to hold up and keep us in a group! I had a great time!��

Thank you !! We try to have good rides and keep everyone happy !! So far we have NEVER left anyone behind !!