PDA

View Full Version : Single or Dual battery

Lennart
12-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Ok my stock battery finally died. My question is do I go with Dual cheaper batts running parallel or one expensive Odyssey 925 , I have light bar and a winch...

Beer Mod
12-13-2015, 09:47 AM
I run a single odyssey 925. Z1 motors are known to have very weak staters (snow mobile motor), but with the odyssey I can run all the major accessory's.

LBR
12-13-2015, 10:37 AM
I've run a single Odyssey for 4-5 years now and can say the longetivity of it is awesome...can go without being driven for 45-60 days and cranks over excellent....great battery IMO and worth the $$$

Flying Dog
12-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I have a rzr s and upgraded to the 30 amp hour that fits the xp. I'm happy so far,

Mike621
12-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Think I'm going to go with an odyssey 925 , relocated under the front hood. There are some mounting kits out there, but I think I can fab up something myself it doesn't look to very hard to make. If I go with dual battery setup would definitely get an isolator relay, and a fuse panel for accessories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CrazyCooter
12-13-2015, 08:32 PM
I run a 36aH Shorai in the Maverick. Gained capacity and lost 11lbs at the same time! They spin the Mav and KTM's way faster than stock.

Mike621
12-13-2015, 08:39 PM
I run a 36aH Shorai in the Maverick. Gained capacity and lost 11lbs at the same time! They spin the Mav and KTM's way faster than stock.

Yeah I was looking at one of those too, do you know what the cranking amps are?,

CrazyCooter
12-13-2015, 10:02 PM
Yeah I was looking at one of those too, do you know what the cranking amps are?,

540CCA's for the LFX36. They will spin a small block over! I think you could put a pair of LFX18's in the same tray and have a backup battery. They make a full sized tray for yours under the front hood?

I always think about it when riding alone and no backup. Now I have one of the little pocket jump start packs, so no need for duals.

Mike621
12-14-2015, 07:41 AM
I bought one of the pocket jump start battery pack too, kind of cool cause it will charge my phone or GPS if needed, 540cca man that should have no problem spinning it up, did you have to do anything to the charging system, or is it plug and play, I know some machines won't charge lithium battery's with stock system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazywatson
12-14-2015, 10:53 PM
I've had an Odyssey I bought in 09 that's still running strong. It's a great battery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CrazyCooter
12-15-2015, 06:59 PM
I bought one of the pocket jump start battery pack too, kind of cool cause it will charge my phone or GPS if needed, 540cca man that should have no problem spinning it up, did you have to do anything to the charging system, or is it plug and play, I know some machines won't charge lithium battery's with stock system.

Plug and play Mike. Shorai's are lithium iron phosphate chemistry that charges very similar to VLA and AGM batteries. Lithium ion is too unstable for mobile use unless heavily guarded from damage. Pretty explosive if water is introduced internally too.

The actual Ah capacity is less than my original 18Ah VLA, but you only want to draw one of those down to 50% or 9Ah capacity. The available cranking amps and voltage sag drastically a VLA or AGM battery is discharged below 80%. A lithium iron battery is pretty consistent from 10-100% state of charge, so even if it is super low, it will still spin the engine over.

I'm really looking forward to putting them in the trailer and loosing 500lb of lead from my battery bank. The lights will be brighter too as the operating voltage is higher to start and stays higher down to 10%.

Mike621
12-15-2015, 07:20 PM
For the trailer are they full size batteries, I have 4 , 6 volts in the toy hauler

CrazyCooter
12-15-2015, 08:49 PM
You can get cells of various Ah capacity, band, and wire them together yourself OR get something manufactured in a given group size. IF your budget allows....you can get an 147lb. 8D battery case with 480Ah@12v where my 168lb. AGM's are only good for 250Ah ea. A single 147 battery could replace 4 of my 168lb lead batteries for a 525lb savings plus the 4/0 wiring!

The technology is still a bit expensive for RV, but I bet a couple of years we will see it more affordable. Hoping my batteries hold out that long.....